Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,107 times

Advertisements

I just went through an interview at the VA hospital in Fayettville NC and I was asked out right if I had kids and if I was married. I was so pissed off at that question that Im sure ot showed on my face. I guess the idiots who asked me those personal questions that had NOTHING to do with my qualifications did not look at my resume and see I am about to complete a graduate degree in HR. I was completely offened by the questions and I am thinking about contacting their HR department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Just came across an interesting chart of what an employer can and cannot ask you about each specific subject: http://www.andersonbottrell.com/php/...rviewchart.pdf (http://www.andersonbottrell.com/php/pages/articles/interviewchart.pdf - broken link)

This following site gives pointers on how to handle inappropriate questions.

The focus of interview questions should be: What does the employer need to know to decide whether you can perform the functions of the job? When an employer strays from job-related questions into areas that relate to protected characteristics, this could raise an inference of discrimination, depending on the circumstances.
If asked an improper question, you have a few options:

Handling Improper Interview Questions (http://www.jobweb.com/interviews.aspx?id=1343 - broken link)

Old 01-22-2011, 10:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnm522 View Post
I just went through an interview at the VA hospital in Fayettville NC and I was asked out right if I had kids and if I was married. I was so pissed off at that question that Im sure ot showed on my face. I guess the idiots who asked me those personal questions that had NOTHING to do with my qualifications did not look at my resume and see I am about to complete a graduate degree in HR. I was completely offened by the questions and I am thinking about contacting their HR department
Your graduate degree in HR doesn't exclude employers from caring about how much time you will need to be away from the office for personal issues. You might be offended but employers do care about those things, even if it's illegal to ask.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your graduate degree in HR doesn't exclude employers from caring about how much time you will need to be away from the office for personal issues. You might be offended but employers do care about those things, even if it's illegal to ask.
In cases like that, most(not all) concerned employers would be polite by saying: Off the record and ask for your permission to ask a question. Or first explain their reason for the question.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But there are better ways to get at that information. For example, at my last company, we hired some people who were required (as part of the job) to travel extensively, about 50%-75% of the time. I would never think to ask if an applicant was married / had kids / inquire about their personal life (factors that could impact their ability to travel), but would instead review the travel requirements and ask if that amount of travel was something that they would be able to handle if hired.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
....but would instead review the travel requirements and ask if that amount of travel was something that they would be able to handle if hired.
And people who want hired will say anything to get hired. After those people are hired, they suddenly have all sorts of emergencies and excuses. It's a headache because it's often not easy to fire them without fear of a discrimination lawsuit.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post
I moved here a few months ago without a job (Came with fiance). I have found a great job that I love but I was just thinking about an interview I had when I was looking and some of the questions this guy asked me.

When he asked why I moved here and I told him I moved down with my fiance he made a comment "so you are getting married soon, or you think you are getting married?" and chuckled. When I said we would eventually be getting married he asked if I had any kids and when I planned to have them.

I guess I wasn't too shocked at being asked if I have kids, but asking when or if you are going to have them? I think he was honestly worried about it because it was a position that required a lot and a lot of overtime. This was a pretty big company down here.

I am so glad I didn't get that job, guy kind of creeped me out and now i have a much better job but I guess I am wondering if they are allowed to ask those questions? When does it cross the line from casual to discriminating?
It's not legal. But this is why companies tend to hire a young men over young women. (In my case, this is what I am experiencing now. I'm in my late 20's and in prime "babymaking age"...so companies just assume I will get pregnant within a year or 2 and rather than train me and then have me leave, they can avoid that and just hire a guy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search