Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for excellent job hunting books....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
I've read some good one's, but two come to mind right off the top of my head. First is "Monster Careers" by Jeff Taylor & Doug Hardy. It's an excellent book that has great information about job hunting, cover letter & resume writing, etc.

The other one I'm thinking of is "I don't know what I want, but I know it's not this" by Julie Jansen. It's a different book from the first one I mentioned, as it's specially for people who feel unfulfilled in their current career, and are looking for a change, but don't know how or where to find it. It has a lot of great exercises and advice for those stuck in the wrong fields.

The "What Color is Your Parachute" books that come out every year aren't to bad either, there are so many good job hunting books out there, but I hope the suggestions help.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
What Does Somebody Need To Do To Get a Job Around Here?

cynthia shapiro

Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
What Does Somebody Need To Do To Get a Job Around Here?

cynthia shapiro

Except ignore her advice that thank you letters don't matter...they do. In every company for which I've ever worked, we paid attention to which interviewees really seemed to want the job and who didn't. It made a difference when someone followed up.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Except ignore her advice that thank you letters don't matter...they do. In every company for which I've ever worked, we paid attention to which interviewees really seemed to want the job and who didn't. It made a difference when someone followed up.

Ok, I missed that part. I actually thought she said the thank you letter was crucial and it's the only time you should contact the company again after they interview you.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Ok, I missed that part. I actually thought she said the thank you letter was crucial and it's the only time you should contact the company again after they interview you.
I went back and re-read what she wrote. In the section titled, "The thank you note is too late," she says, "The truth is: A hiring manager's mind is completely made up after the first twenty minutes of an interview, and very often nothing will be able to change it."

She means that a thank you note can't undo a bad first impression, which is likely true. But a thank you note CAN bolster an already good impression and make the difference between two top candidates.

So I don't disagree with her, although I would have said, "A hiring manager's mind is often completely made up after the first twenty minutes..." I don't think it is always the case that it is.

But sheesh, after looking at her book again about job searches, I'm glad I am self-employed. The section about discrimination against mothers just makes me angry.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
But sheesh, after looking at her book again about job searches, I'm glad I am self-employed. The section about discrimination against mothers just makes me angry.
What does she say about discrimination against mothers? I'm a mom looking for a job right now and I'm having a bit of a tough time... Potential employers seem to want you to be available and at their bidding 24/7.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
What does she say about discrimination against mothers? I'm a mom looking for a job right now and I'm having a bit of a tough time... Potential employers seem to want you to be available and at their bidding 24/7.
Shapiro cites a Cornell University study where researchers found that during the interview process mothers were perceived as less committed to work than women without children. Also that mothers were less likely to be hired and if they were hired, they were offered substantially lower salaries (around $11K per year less, with more children correlated with less pay).

Shapiro advises mothers to hide the fact that they are mothers, even going so far as to avoid letting this information be available anywhere on the Web in case the hiring manager Googles you.

She even says that interviewers who aren't parents themselves will try to trick interviewees into admitting they have children by doing things like putting pictures of someone else's children on the interviewer's desk and then the interviewer will come in late and say something like, "Sorry I'm late. I had to pick up my daughter from soccer practice. Aren't kids great?"

Shapiro advises the job seeker to turn the question back on the interviewer by dodging it with a response such as, "Yes, they are. How old is your daughter? What position does she play?"

Like who would want to work for a manipulative liar like that?

My bio on my company Web site mentions that I have children. If I would have to delete that in order to be employable, I guess I'll keep running my own company.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You should try to get a copy of the book and read it because what she says about mothers, and discrimination in general, is very disheartening, though she does give you tips on avoiding discrimination.

Basically, she claims that companies pay lip service to equal opportunity but that there is an unspoken agreement when it comes to what types of people to avoid hiring. For instance, the hiring manager may just "know" that the big boss *hiriing authority" is looking for a black man to balance out his group. Or maybe he just prefers being around pretty, single women and doesn't want to deal with family issues. Or he's tired of people taking so many sick days. So the hiring managers have developed ways to "trick" you into revealing personal information about yourself.

Picture this: You're in an interview and the hiring manager rushes in a few minutes late. "I'm so sorry I"m late, I had to pick up my daughter from soccer practice; no other mother could drive today". You think "oh, a mother!" and say "don't worry about it, I have kids too and know what it's like when car pool plans fall through." Little do you know that the hiring manager doesn't have any kids. She's just "tricked" you into revealing personal information about yourself that can and will be used to eliminate you from the job pool A better answer according to the author: "a soccer player! what position does she play?" (or anything that turns the situation back around to her and away from you).

Here's another: Hiring manager: "Sorry I'm moving slow today. I'm still recouperating from back surgery a few months ago." You: Wow, I slipped a disk a few years back and it still acts up." Bingo: You've just talked yourself out of a job.

Her bottom line is that companies are looking for a way to EXCLUDE you, not INclude you during the job search.

ETA: Sorry most of this is duplicate posting! Beaten to the punch while I was typing.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Her bottom line is that companies are looking for a way to EXCLUDE you, not INclude you during the job search.
Good grief, that is disheartening. It definitely sheds some light. I had no idea that's how the job hunting game was played. Sounds like I really need to read this book (and stop mentioning that I have a kid during interviews)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search