Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM

31 posts, read 172,931 times

Advertisements

Recently looking for a position and up to this point in my career, I never went through a recruiter, who works for ( contract) the potential employer. On a recent position, it was via a recruiter. My take away confirmed my opinion about recruiters and clearly was a waste of my time. Unfortunately, their simplistic approach left such a bad taste that I will assure all our branches ( covering most of the Midwest) know not to use this particular firm, nor this particular clown. Basically unprofessional, simplistic in approach and unsure of who they are taking to and how that can come around and bite them. Companies can save alot of money by doing the job in house and easily at a higher quality. I heard alot of companies are moving away from using recruiters.

Any thoughts from others regarding their experience with recruiters?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I have only dealt with one recruiter... what a pain.

He tells me he wants to meet with me, and asks me what I am looking for. (I am in Call Center Management). He says he has a couple things for me and would like to meet for an interview. I take the day off work, get all gussied up, go in.

Turns out, the "opportunities" he had for me where call center rep jobs, paying about 10 an hour....

Thanks for nothing.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 AM

31 posts, read 172,931 times
Sounds par for the course. They are really not looking out for you nor even their client. They want to make a quick turn around so they receive a buck. Can't blame them for wanting to make a living, but not at others time and expense. I have run companies in healthcare my entire career. I'm going to assure we no longer use them and pull recruiting internal to HR. I look at my career and I've always found a job without one. Thanks for the comment.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
It's been hit or miss with me when dealing with recruiters. Some are professional are good, but others were complete waste of time. I got my current job through a recruiter so they do work sometimes.

Personally, I refuse to talk to any recruiter unless they send me a job spec/description and the name of the company the job is with. From there, I determine if it's something I am interested in pursuing or not. I never waste my time meeting them in person, it's not needed. I've had a few ask me to come to their office and I tell them "I have a number of recruiters calling me and I don't have the time to meet them all, send me the jobs you think I'm a fit for and I'll review it. If it progresses, then we can have a meeting." The ones who are serious will send me some jobs. The ones who are not I don't hear from again. This has worked for me so far.

But I agree that most companies are moving away from recruiters, especially in this economy. I don't know if it varies in other cities, but recruiters here can charge around 30% of the positions salary as a fee, so that is $30K for a position that pays $100K.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
I have good and bad dealings with recruiters. But they've always been for a specific opportunity. Most recently, I passed the recruiter screening, had a phone interview with the hiring VP and was told I was a finalist for the position (a senior one) and an in-face interview would be scheduled. That was before the holiday and I've not heard back from the recruiter or the company. What irks me is the simple silence. If I'm no longer a candidate, then tell me. I'm a big boy. I can take it. But just going silent and not responding to my emails? That's pure disrespect and it will come back to haunt that particular recruiter.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
I've had mixed results with recruiters in the Charlotte area, but I could say for the most part, I have had good luck. I was placed by one in a 3 month contract position in October 2007. I was offered a permanent position in January by the company and continue to work there. My husband was placed by the same recruiter as a part time (2 days per week) contractor with another company, and when his contract was over, he was offered a direct position (with a net higher pay per hour) with the same company. Over a year later, he still works there and even got a bonus last Christmas like the rest of the employees. We are both in Finance and have dealt only with finance recruiters. Most of them present a full job description and discuss other things about their client, like things they would like even if they don't put it in, or things that the ad would say are preferred, but in reality are required. This particular recruiter matched my experience to a T as well as my salary expectations. I can't speak for other recruiters who hire for other industries, temp or administrative positions. The ones I dealt with were sincere, communicated back at every step of the way, and still follow-up one year later.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
I am a recruiter and found 2 people jobs in the past 2 days. One was a direct hire for a Japanese auto manufacturing company in their accounting department. The other for a religious based not for profit organization that offers awesome benefits, pension plan, etc. She was on a contract assignment and will be on their payroll this coming Monday. Sure, for every 2 people I find jobs, there are many other in this economy that I don't. But I earn my money finding people jobs so it's in my best interest do to so. Both of these jobs were not advertised and were exclusives. So instead of being 1 of 200 applicants, my candidates were 1 of 3 so their odds were excellent. It sounds like bibit612 has found a great recruiter to work with. When looking to work with a recruiter, ask them for a couple of references. Call people they have represented in the past. There is nothing wrong with doing that. It's too bad the "bad apples" have tainted our profession. Many recruiters are top-notch and have networks and connections that the average seeker just does not have.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:38 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,379 times
My mother is a recruiter, i can see she's very good with her clients because they seem to go back to her more than once and her list of clientels are growing, both from employers and potential employees. She does go the extra mile and adds personal touches to both parties to make things right. Case is never closed unless she's confident that both are happy. She will never use a bad employer if she gets bad feedback just to make money. It's not good for business she says.

Provided one's recruiter's heart is in the right place, you cant lose. But they come far and few between.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,932 times
I can't help but laugh when people, especially in this economy, pledge to never work with a recruiter. What an incredibly myopic and, well, stupid philosophy. Sure, there are some shady recruiting companies out there. But that's on you to do your due dilligence and find out about the company that's calling you.

Some companies ONLY use staffing firms to fill their openings. And I'm not talking about mom and pop shops. I'm talking about Fortune 500 companies. Anheuser-Busch, long considered the premier organization to work for in St. Louis, only uses staffing firms to hire IT personnel. I can't speak for call center management recruiting operations, but I know that the IT staffing industry is a BILLION dollar industry.

Saying "oh I had a bad experience with this recruiter so I'm not going down the recruiter path again" is so stupid. If you test drive a car and it's a junker are you just not going to drive cars again?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Some companies ONLY use staffing firms to fill their openings. And I'm not talking about mom and pop shops. I'm talking about Fortune 500 companies.
That's right, there is one major German bank that outsources their recruiting function to a external firm. They ever have the recruiters sit within their banking offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search