Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

If i was told on Monday that the hiring decision would be made on that day and since then haven't heard anything and tomorrow is friday, is it safe to say that I was not selected to be one of ones to come on board?

Please I need complete honesty because that will help me grow. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If i was told on Monday that the hiring decision would be made on that day and since then haven't heard anything and tomorrow is friday, is it safe to say that I was not selected to be one of ones to come on board?

Please I need complete honesty because that will help me grow. Thanks
I'm am by far no expert but I would think by the info you give that it means you were not hired. I would call though and ask and see why and if the person who interviewed you would give a critique of how you presented yourself so you can use it to better prepare for future interviews. I would want to know why I did not get hired no matter how bad it would make me feel or not. I don't see how it could hurt anything but may help you and you'd know what to work on. It might not be anything either ( you may be cream of the crop/ top of the line candidate) and that there were just so many qualified people to pick from and it was a hard decision. It may have come down to someone knowing someone too and have nothing to do with talent, there are so many possibilites. Either way I'd want to know though. Just my 2 cents and like I said I am in no way any type of expert.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
I'm am by far no expert but I would think by the info you give that it means you were not hired. I would call though and ask and see why and if the person who interviewed you would give a critique of how you presented yourself so you can use it to better prepare for future interviews. I would want to know why I did not get hired no matter how bad it would make me feel or not. I don't see how it could hurt anything but may help you and you'd know what to work on. It might not be anything either ( you may be cream of the crop/ top of the line candidate) and that there were just so many qualified people to pick from and it was a hard decision. It may have come down to someone knowing someone too and have nothing to do with talent, there are so many possibilites. Either way I'd want to know though. Just my 2 cents and like I said I am in no way any type of expert.

thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
runrgrl gave you good suggestions, but unless I were a fly on the wall during your interview, I couldn't give you more. Run over what happened on this one in your head...did you ask questions? What was their body language when they answered? What were your answers and how did you answer? And then again, like the PP said, it is a competitive market we're in and you may not have done anything wrong, just that somebody was better. Good luck on the next one!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:21 PM

105 posts, read 253,335 times
I wouldn't badger the interviewer with questions. It's not professional. I would call to confirm that the hiring process has ended and make it clear that I would still like to be considered for any similar openings in the future, and thank them for their time and consideration. Maybe the new person won't work out.

Besides, the reason that person gives may not even be the truth--all they want to do is get you off the telephone. Do your own critique. Practice the interview with a friend or associate and let them critique you. That other is one done deal.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Why do you think it was your interviewing technique, as opposed to your qualifications, or something else, that made you an also-ran?

The job market being what it is right now, it's damn hard to get a job unless you have nearly identical experience in a previous job. You lose out to someone with the exact experience profile they want. This is short-sighted of course unless you are hiring for a fry cook or the like, I would rather have a person who is intelligent, motivated, capable of increasing responsibility, etc. rather then just a cypher who fries fries or bangs nails.

But some jobs can be done fine by a cypher.

What kind of jobs are you going after, what's your background, how well does it fit? Where are you at, physically? If you are looking for jobs in the automotive industry in Detroit, for example, you are damn near doomed before you start. Are you trying to break into a completely different industry from the one you have been in so far? Are you fresh out of school with a newly minted B.A. in B.S.? By that I mean a major that does not align to any existing industry, I don't have to give a list, do I?

Good advice from Blacknblue -

Good books out there, What Color is your Parachute, Mark McCormack's books, a lot of others.

Finally, since you asked for brutality, is there something wrong with you? Does your FICO score suck? Skeletons in the closet? Been fired? If so, you need to fix the problem, the fix won't be quick, easy, or cheap.

If you are "damaged goods", you are a tough sell in the current job market.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Why do you think it was your interviewing technique, as opposed to your qualifications, or something else, that made you an also-ran?

The job market being what it is right now, it's damn hard to get a job unless you have nearly identical experience in a previous job. You lose out to someone with the exact experience profile they want. This is short-sighted of course unless you are hiring for a fry cook or the like, I would rather have a person who is intelligent, motivated, capable of increasing responsibility, etc. rather then just a cypher who fries fries or bangs nails.

But some jobs can be done fine by a cypher.

What kind of jobs are you going after, what's your background, how well does it fit? Where are you at, physically? If you are looking for jobs in the automotive industry in Detroit, for example, you are damn near doomed before you start. Are you trying to break into a completely different industry from the one you have been in so far? Are you fresh out of school with a newly minted B.A. in B.S.? By that I mean a major that does not align to any existing industry, I don't have to give a list, do I?

Good advice from Blacknblue -

Good books out there, What Color is your Parachute, Mark McCormack's books, a lot of others.

Finally, since you asked for brutality, is there something wrong with you? Does your FICO score suck? Skeletons in the closet? Been fired? If so, you need to fix the problem, the fix won't be quick, easy, or cheap.

If you are "damaged goods", you are a tough sell in the current job market.

I don't have bad credit
I don't have a criminal background
I have a Degree in Communications
I worked consistently for 10 straight years
I never been fired

So I'm not in the damaged goods category.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
OK, but reading more of your posts you are defensive and nervous about something. The job market sucks right now, using a degree in Communications IMHO means mostly working for the media, the media get their money from advertising sales, which are down. Do you have auxiliary skills - maybe something blue collar? What's your plan B?

To be fair to you, you may have just lost out so far to people with slightly better qualifications.

The advice on the "what not to do in an interview" is good, you responded defensively but really need to "read and heed".

Man up, keep up your search, keep your chin up.

Last time I was between jobs, I read an excellent book "The Forgotten Soldier". I can't recall the author's name. It helped to put my situation in perspective.

Read some of the articles on Wikipedia on the topics "Congressional Medal of Honor", "Hero of the Soviet Union" "Knight's Cross of the Rittercross". Ever heard of Guadacanal, Leningrad, Midway,do these place names ring a bell? Ever read Harlan Sanders' (Kentucky Fried Chicken) or J.C. Penney's stories?

You share a remarkable amount of DNA with these cats, and compared to what they did, you just have to get over being laid off (not fired) and get a new job. Man up!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK, but reading more of your posts you are defensive and nervous about something. The job market sucks right now, using a degree in Communications IMHO means mostly working for the media, the media get their money from advertising sales, which are down. Do you have auxiliary skills - maybe something blue collar? What's your plan B?

To be fair to you, you may have just lost out so far to people with slightly better qualifications.

The advice on the "what not to do in an interview" is good, you responded defensively but really need to "read and heed".

Man up, keep up your search, keep your chin up.

Last time I was between jobs, I read an excellent book "The Forgotten Soldier". I can't recall the author's name. It helped to put my situation in perspective.

Read some of the articles on Wikipedia on the topics "Congressional Medal of Honor", "Hero of the Soviet Union" "Knight's Cross of the Rittercross". Ever heard of Guadacanal, Leningrad, Midway,do these place names ring a bell? Ever read Harlan Sanders' (Kentucky Fried Chicken) or J.C. Penney's stories?

You share a remarkable amount of DNA with these cats, and compared to what they did, you just have to get over being laid off (not fired) and get a new job. Man up!

The only thing I would change is having a new suit and asking the boss for her business card. Other than those two things, I wouldn;t change anything else about the interview

Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 PM

364 posts, read 1,569,124 times
If I were you, I'd send the hiring manager an email (once you know for sure that you didn't get the job) asking where you fell short? It may be that the selected candidate was visibly better. Or it may be that you stumbled on an all important question. I bet you'll get honest feedback either way, so long as you phrase the question right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search