Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

If you get the intuition or feeling that the hiring manager is weird, off, psycho, nutty, neurotic, unfair, unethical, hiding something, or sneaky do you advise to cut the interview short or if they call for an interview and they don't want to answer any questions and have a flippant attitude do you just not show??

The majority of the hiring managers I've met were pretty darn flippant, disorganized, and neurotic, hardly professional. Also I noticed that all the hiring managers foam at the mouth about being part of "the team" and "the team" is going to judge whether your work is good or not and "the team" will judge whether you stay or go. One manager told me that "the team" doesn't have to like you and if they don't you are free to leave or you will eventually be let go. Work is starting to remind me of a backward communist country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Anytime your instincts clue you in that something is wrong with the position or the company, trust your instincts.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
To me, it is not psycho, but newspeak. Every decade people come up with newspeak. The computer people borrowed from the philosophers. I was amazed at how much philosophy language was in my computer class. The sales speak was borrowed from valley girls, etc, etc...

People think that euphemisms make the same old dog do new tricks.

If the team does not like you, means if the management don't like you and a few butt kissers don't like you, you are out the door. This is not new, but old. Instead of saying managment, they say team. It is called the art of not saying what you mean.

I can recall when interviews involved me responding to whether I could multi-task and do I prefer yellow stiki pads or paper,yada, yada... I always said yellow sticki, which was a euphemism for being a multi-tasker.

Last edited by gea12345; 03-06-2009 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I find that most hiring managers suspiciously have direct family ties with the owner of the company.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
after the last psycho biotch I worked for, I can advise you to run as fast as you can away from any potential psycho

Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Yep _ just went on 20 interviews before I got my position back in the fall. I more than a few psychos. the first of which told me within the first 2 minutes of the interview that he had just fired the web development person because they had personal differences. Later I found out, the person who had the position beforehand, he fired. then the person who co-interviewed with him - he later had fired. This guy was FIRE HAPPY. And then during the interview he kept asking all kinds of these psychological questions I knew were designed to "trip you up" so they could find out what your real personality was. Every question I answered was replied with "You didn't answer the question the way I wanted"... "That is the wrong kind of answer".... what a NUT! I so ran from that interview.

Also, there was one, literally within 2 minutes decided that I was NOT the person for the job. Then WHY did you ask me to drive all the way there? And then copped a total arrogant attitude and practically kicked me out the door. That position is STILL open by the way - he still can't find someone with the dream qualifications he wants 8 months later....

Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Well, I have not had any 'obvious' psycho hiring managers. All, of them appeared to be normal. The only weird interviewers I can think of were two attorney's had their mother doing part of the interview and she asked me if I was married and had children. When I got home, I sent them an email, telling them I was no longer interested and what she said. They then responded with a very nice email, of how they were sorry, and how I was one of their best. I still said no.

The other weird interveiw in my opinion, was another attorney, who raved for minutes about his last employee, how she was so intelligent, efficuient, etc, etc... I was very uncomfotable, since I didn't know the person and had only his word that former employee was intelligent or efficent. How in the hell do you respond to such an assertion. To me, it is like meeting a potential boyfriend, and he spends long uncomfortable minutes telling me how gorgeous, smart, intelligent his last girlfriend was, since what do you say, except "that's nice". hmmm?? Or do I say in response, I am smart. I am intelligent. I am gorgeous.

I got annoyed and when I got home, sent an email withdraing my interest.

And after scores of interviews, these are the weirdest interviews I have been on and I have worked for academia, attorneys, restaurants, bars, hosptials, etc...
So, maybe it is that nature of your field, that you get so many weird hiring managers...

Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
If you want to work for the company, I think you should go on the interview and suck it up. If you get a job offer and you would be reporting to a potential psycho, then turn the job down if it's what you want to do. But you may learn on the interview that the person isn't a psycho, or that you wouldn't be reporting to that person.
I have had some weird interviews with human resources people, but I knew those wouldn't be the folks I'd be reporting to, so I just dealt with it.
And if you want a job bad enough, sometimes you just have to suck it up. Not everyone has the luxury of turning down a job because the manager is nuts. Having said that, I did quit one job just because my boss was so psycho. I loved the job but I knew things were going bad; I'd reported it to HR and it didn't do any good. I quit (three months some bad stuff happened and she got fired), but not until I found another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search