Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,129,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I recently landed a great Federal position in suburban Washington DC. I had the FLU of all things on the day of my interview, but regardless I took a hot shower, slapped on my suit, affixed a cordial smile upon my face, stood up straight, and confidently marched on in for my interview. I actually used my illness to my advantage because when asked what I like to do in my free time I mentioned that I love to run, hike, and do anything in my ability to remain active and healthy (cough), using that opportunity to elicit some laughs from my two interviewers when I referenced "Perhaps exercising isn't always the answer to good health though! (Cough)" LOL! I've noticed that more than anything else if you're clever, witty, and know you can make someone crack a smile you'll stand out from the competition. I may not have been as lucid or as well-composed that day as I normally would have been, but I still apparently managed to make quite an impression upon my interviewers---I received an e-mail with a job offer a couple of weeks ago.

Let me also add that when in doubt it can never possibly hurt you to be gracious and humble. I e-mailed both of my interviewers (which included a middle-aged married woman who was a senior manager and a very cute fresh hire who was about my age and made my stomach churn more than usual given my Influenza!) later that evening to thank them for taking the time and effort to drive on up to NEPA to interview my peers and I, to inform them that the informational seminar they had presented that prior evening "sold" me on how I could best utilize my cost-cutting skills to benefit their agency, and to once again joke about my illness. Tomorrow evening after work I plan to fire up another e-mail to each of them to thank them for any role they may have assumed in the hiring decision process.

I've always composed very thoughtful, insightful, and often times even humorous thank you e-mails to my interviewers, and even though after roughly 6 major interviews I've only ever received ONE reply to my e-mail I still don't let that deter me. I just view that as poor etiquette on behalf of the interviewer for not acknowledging me with a reply.

Do you mind telling me did they say how long the wait will be for the background check and when you will actually start? Also, have you worked for the federgal government before or are any of those preferential categories. Also, what kind of job is it?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Read the post again.

It said he received a F*cking Job Offer through email.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It said he received a F*cking Job Offer through email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre
I received an e-mail with a job offer a couple of weeks ago.
What's so odd or new about receiving job offers thru email. And what is it with you and the need to have to put in all the "hidden" cursing. Can't you just make a point without that. Didn't your communications degree teach you anything at all. "Like how to communicate on a professional level?"

Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
What's so odd or new about receiving job offers thru email. And what is it with you and the need to have to put in all the "hidden" cursing. Can't you just make a point without that. Didn't your communications degree teach you anything at all. "Like how to communicate on a professional level?"

Well I obviously never heard of it that's why the F*CK I asked. Why wouldn't someone CALL you if they wanted to offer you a job instead of sending a email which you may not get because of a broken computer?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Quote:
Well I obviously never heard of it that's why the F*CK I asked. Why wouldn't someone CALL you if they wanted to offer you a job instead of sending a email which you may not get because of a broken computer?
TVSG, you become more petulantly rude and childish by the day. Since you are so so bent on looking for interviewing guidelines and helpful hints, I'll give you a freebie - your attitude and general demeanor will not help you in your job search.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,672 times
Why would anyone ever pass up an opportunity to correspond 1 more time with a prospective employer especially when you can emphasize the major points as your closing "hire me" argument? That is the real purpose of the "Thank you" note. It isn't to kiss ass; it is one last final opportunity to seal your impression with the person who is hiring you before they make a decision.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,885 times
Quote:
This is the 21st Century. And once again, nothing is obvious to anyone about you. YOu think that it's ok to deal with things in this manner, very immature. Your history of threads has given everyone on this Forum an opinion of you that you don't know a thing about life, career, the real world, hell even which hand to wipe with.
If you think because of the way we have responded to you is unfair, then you really do need a caretaker, or at the least, a reality-check.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Why would anyone ever pass up an opportunity to correspond 1 more time with a prospective employer especially when you can emphasize the major points as your closing "hire me" argument? That is the real purpose of the "Thank you" note. It isn't to kiss ass; it is one last final opportunity to seal your impression with the person who is hiring you before they make a decision.

Your impression is already sealed once you leave the building. If they don't have a good/positive impression about you and don't feel that you're a good fit for the company, then a thank you letter would be pointless.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
Your impression is already sealed once you leave the building. If they don't have a good/positive impression about you and don't feel that you're a good fit for the company, then a thank you letter would be pointless.

Exactly, You can just say 3 of the things at the end of the interview that would be in the letter and leave an impression that way. Like you said, a letter is not going to play any part in you getting a JOB, it's all about what you do and say while you are at the interview.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,364,086 times
Thank you letters show professionalism and set you apart from the others. Does that mean that you will get the job? No. You might not be the most qualified. Will you get a thank you for the thank you? No. However, as long as your letter is well written, if the decision is between you and another candidate, you will almost always get that job. Looking for a job is a job. The thank you letter is usually the last thing that you do before accepting a job. At the end of the interview, you will know if you want the job or not. At that time, tell that to the interviewer. I always tell my students that even if they don't want the job that they should still write a thank you. It's a small world (and a courtesy) and you never know if the interviewer has something else in mind for you that would be more appealing. Nothing wrong with e-mailing in addition to the thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search