Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
You do this more often than you think - like tipping a waitstaff, taxi driver, bellhop, etc.

Do you say thank you when a doorman opens the door for you at a hotel? How about when a waiter brings you water when you ask for it? Isn't that saying thanks to someone who is just doing what they're being paid to do?

I do it because the majority of waiters/waitresses get paid below minimum wage.

Do you tip the person behind the mcdonald's counter when you pay for your food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
I do it because the majority of waiters/waitresses get paid below minimum wage.

Do you tip the person behind the mcdonald's counter when you pay for your food?
No, but I do say Thank You when they give me my order. I thought this conversation was about saying thanks to people for doing their job? The person at McDonalds is there to take my order and give me my order, but that doesn't mean I don't say Thanks.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
No, but I do say Thank You when they give me my order. I thought this conversation was about saying thanks to people for doing their job? The person at McDonalds is there to take my order and give me my order, but that doesn't mean I don't say Thanks.
True. Just like I say "thank you for this opportunity and allowing me to interview with your company" as I say goodbye to the interviewer.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM

412 posts, read 939,456 times
I always have sent thank-you letters, and I've received job offers after sending them. I like to use them as an opportunity to tell the company more about why they should hire me.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
The friend I wrote about in "Strange Behavior of Potential Employer" sent a Thank You letter and got the job. The person who hired him said that she appreciated the letter. I'll be honest, I've never sent a Thank You Letter myself. With each job I've had, I've either been hired on the spot or found out the next day.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
If they give me a business card, I have emailed them, only if they say they are going to be making their decision rather quickly, too quickly for me to mail and have them receive a snail mail letter. I did get some thank you but no letters - but more than a few emails these days since you apply to everything online now.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Ive been to a couple of interviews, that have given me $10 coupons to restaurant, or gas cards, whether I got the job or not, to those, I have sent Thank you emails. The ones that havent given me the courtesy of even acknowledging I was there, get the same in response.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM

268 posts, read 817,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
True. Just like I say "thank you for this opportunity and allowing me to interview with your company" as I say goodbye to the interviewer.
I would do this. When I do interviews and I have two people who are even in every respect, it might tip me one way or another. Myself, I never see the thank you letters, they stop at the Personnel office. But we usually have made the decision who we want to do the second round of interviews within an hour of finishing the last candidate. So a letter is meaningless to our decision.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Saying "thank you" has never killed an interview, made anyone that mattered think less of you, or cost you a job your were applying for.

Conversely, can you say the same for not bothering to say "thank you"?

And by 'saying' I talking about whatever is appropriate, a letter, a note, an email, a follow up phone call, or spoken word.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
I would do this. When I do interviews and I have two people who are even in every respect, it might tip me one way or another. Myself, I never see the thank you letters, they stop at the Personnel office. But we usually have made the decision who we want to do the second round of interviews within an hour of finishing the last candidate. So a letter is meaningless to our decision.

i figured that which is why my letter sending days are over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search