Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,385 times

Advertisements

I'm gathering information for a study on the biggest concerns about finding a job or new career in this screwed up economy. What are these concerns and why do you think it's a problem or road block to finding a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhendoo View Post
I'm gathering information for a study on the biggest concerns about finding a job or new career in this screwed up economy. What are these concerns and why do you think it's a problem or road block to finding a job?

What kind of study....and for whom?

Personally, I am happy with my career. Paralegal. The Burea of Labor and Statistics has good projections for openings. It is interesting, challenging and relatively well paid.

I dont' think finding a job will be too difficult, if you are willing to move to another city.

why is the encomony screwed up? Because George Bush screwed it up along with people that believe that buying on credit is a good thing, rather than saving money and then spending it. Conducting two wars, buying homes and selling homes on imbalanced saving/credit ratios and executives giving themselves million dollar bonuses and a basic lack of investment into our cities and companies spreading further and further out from where the masses of the people are, which is in the cities. There is a reason that cities exist! it is more economical for providing transportation systems, education systems and health and welfare systems and food and waste systems!! (An associate at work, says that he saved and puchased the home he still lives in. He is in his 50's. I think we should go back to that system, instead of our current one. It is annoying that people feel that a newer system is the best one. Our current credit/housing system is less than 20 years old, why cant we get rid of it. I mean the credit cards, go back to savings and checking accts AND go back to traditional mortgages.)

hope this helps

Last edited by gea12345; 03-30-2009 at 06:54 AM..

Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 AM

Study on what concerns and problems individuals maybe having finding a job from layoffs or downsizing and may need a little help. The study is for me to try and find answers to these concerns and problems and publish them on the internet to try and help those that may not be as fortunate as others that do still have a job that they are happy with as you are.

It's great that you are doing what you enjoy but as I travel across the country as a Nuclear power plant contractor I meet people that are struggling and need some help and that's why I posted this thread to see what others have to say.

Thanks for the reply...

Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Study on what concerns and problems individuals maybe having finding a job from layoffs or downsizing and may need a little help. The study is for me to try and find answers to these concerns and problems and publish them on the internet to try and help those that may not be as fortunate as others that do still have a job that they are happy with as you are.

It's great that you are doing what you enjoy but as I travel across the country as a Nuclear power plant contractor I meet people that are struggling and need some help and that's why I posted this thread to see what others have to say.

Thanks for the reply...

Do Nuclear Power Plants hire mostly contractors? or do they have good permanent full-time positions?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 AM

They have both, they hire contract companies to provide contract workers during there outages which occur about every 18 months. These conactors depending on the job can make any where from a couple of thousand a month to fifteen to twenty thousand a month. In my field I average about ten thousand a month and I work on the average of seven to eight months a year and am off four or five.

yes they have permanent jobs also but they usually have a waiting list of resumes they can choose from so it takes longer to get hire permanently. Saying this I do know of instances where the plant is so impressed with a contract worker that they offer them a permanent position after the outage.

These contract jobs consist of unskilled labors to highly skilled professions like engineers, nurses, project managers etc.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
They have both, they hire contract companies to provide contract workers during there outages which occur about every 18 months. These conactors depending on the job can make any where from a couple of thousand a month to fifteen to twenty thousand a month. In my field I average about ten thousand a month and I work on the average of seven to eight months a year and am off four or five.

yes they have permanent jobs also but they usually have a waiting list of resumes they can choose from so it takes longer to get hire permanently. Saying this I do know of instances where the plant is so impressed with a contract worker that they offer them a permanent position after the outage.

These contract jobs consist of unskilled labors to highly skilled professions like engineers, nurses, project managers etc.

Do you have names or links for the contract companies, so I can put it on my 10+ Jobs Thread? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM

Sure but right now I need to get some sleep just got off a ten hour shift. I'm at Limerick Power Plant in Pottstown,Pa until 4/8/09 but I will try and look up a couple tomorrow and give them to you. An example of the pay is I've been here two weeks and have made a little over $5500 but I have a skilled trade. Unskilled would make less where professionals would make more. All depends on the job. Later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search