Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM

11 posts, read 21,681 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Larry and I am a Human Resources Professional. Unlike many people who work in my field I would like to believe that I know what I am doing and have spent 15 years taking classes, getting certified, working with mentors and doing everything I can to be a total professional in my field.

About 50 percent of my time is recruiting and interviewing staff. It appears that many people paid someone to write a nice looking Resume because when they show up for an interview there is a terrible disconnect. I can tell within a short time that their appearance, personality, talents, and skills do not match the needs of the position.

These people are mismatches for their chosen career not just to our company. Unless someone is honest with them, they will face one job set back after another.

Here are a couple of examples:

Susan came in for a job interview for a Human Resources Assistant. She completed a certificate in HR at a local school, similar to the one I teach at, but when I asked her questions she was so quiet and shy that she only said maybe 20 words during the whole interview.

Jessie came in for an interview for a administrative assistant job. He looked and talked like a redneck from rural West Virginia with terrible teeth and a home haircut. He looked like he was taking Meth. One of the roles of the job was to act as receptionist, the face of our company. He seriously thought he was a good person for a receptionist and administrative support professional. He should be working as a truck driver.

Do you think it is my role to be honest with them? Or should I just not hire them and mind my own business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 PM

50 posts, read 173,027 times
I don't think you are "supposed" to be honest with them because you might get sued. lol.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 PM

128 posts, read 628,185 times
I can understand your concern but really for a professional I believe some of the terms in your description of examples made the hairs on the back of my neck tingle. How can an HR get away with this unless you feel you are talking to your brother or next door neighbor. Or maybe your post is a joke and I'm missing the point.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,170 times
I think you can and should guide people towards careers they would be well suited for. You can do that without pointing to their (obvious) flaws.

"Hey, have you ever considered XXX field" would be much better received than "Hey meth face, you really think you have a shot at this job?"

Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 21,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob swanson View Post
I can understand your concern but really for a professional I believe some of the terms in your description of examples made the hairs on the back of my neck tingle. How can an HR get away with this unless you feel you are talking to your brother or next door neighbor. Or maybe your post is a joke and I'm missing the point.
No joke intended! Redneck with terrible teeth is a perfect description of this guy. No one is going to hire him as an Administrative Assistant and Receptionist even if he were to work for free.

You must be one of those politically correct types if my innocent sounding post gets your hair to stand up on end.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Don't be rude and insensitive, which is how it sounds in your OP.

Just give them some pointers, like "in the human resources market you have to be assertive and talk more and you will find a job quicker and do well." Smile when you give pointers so that no feelings are hurt

Also be sensitive to other people's points of view. There are times when I couldn't get a word in because the hiring manager was a sassy, self absorbed, and domineering brat that did ALL THE TALKING.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Well POSTER...you have hit the nail directly on the head of todays failures.

Reminds me of a Mexican who said to me "I'm Mexican and we can do anything".

Sure...they can do anything. We all can do anything...question is "How Well"?

Being a former business owner (now retired) I have interviewed people with limited education who applied for a position they were NOT qualified for.

The world is full of these people with barely a high school degree that shows they were absent during some of the classes. Being up front with a answer is not being rude but an honest answer they need to understand. Somebody has to tell them the truth. They bring their appearance and a misleading resume to a job interview which will backfire.

I feel sorry for some but the way they make their bed is the way they will sleep in it.

Steve

Old 04-01-2009, 02:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,073 times
Today IS April Fool's Day.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,759 times
You can interview me for a job.. I am open to anything! Yeah.. i'm in desperate need of work.. and I promise I won't show up with redneck teeth and hair

Seriously though, I would just keep your honesty to yourself or else they may start saying you are not treating them as equals and discriminating against them. Just not hire them and move on to the next candidate.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
When you're desperate for work, people will try anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search