Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times

Advertisements

I work in a place that is mostly blue collar labor and some professionals. My desk just happens to be closest to the door in the office, so when people come in wanting to apply for jobs, I'm the one who gets to hand them an application.

Why on earth do people come in looking for work smelling like they haven't bathed in three days, looking like they haven't shaved in a week, wearing shirts with holes in them and ripped up, stained pants? These are not people who have left their job site to apply, they are people who are out of work. I understand it's blue color jobs they are applying for, and don't expect them in a suit and tie, but have some self-respect and wear clean jeans and a shirt without holes. Take a shower, shave, and run a comb through your hair. They guys that work here don't look (or smell!) as bad at the end of the day as some of the people coming in applying for jobs.

(Oh, and leave your buddy in the car, if you need someone to hold your hand while you ask for an application, you're not getting hired here...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,121 times
Here's one way how NOT to aply for a job. Show up in shorts and a tanktop. Then say "Dude I want a totaly awsom job." I'v seen it happen!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I have seen girls come for interviews in short shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. For front desk positions!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:43 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have seen girls come for interviews in short shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. For front desk positions!
I'd hire them!

But are they older workers? or younger people? I've realized that some of the people who are unemployed now are from the older generation and things worked a lot differently back when than it does today. And since they probably haven't had to look for a new job in many years, they are not fully aware of what the "proper" way to present yourself might be when looking for a new job.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
Yes, one of my sisters showed up to court in shorts for a traffic ticket. She was told to go back home. ;-)

For court or a job application, dress as if you were going to church, works for me.

However, when I used to waitress, sometimes I would be bopping around town and then see a place with a ad in the window and then I would ask for an application. I was not dressed properly, since I was not job hunting on that particular day. But I went in and asked to fill out the paperwork or bring it back.

This never harmed my chances, since it was not for an actual interview. But yes, i hoped i smelled find. ;-)

Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I'd hire them!

But are they older workers? or younger people? I've realized that some of the people who are unemployed now are from the older generation and things worked a lot differently back when than it does today. And since they probably haven't had to look for a new job in many years, they are not fully aware of what the "proper" way to present yourself might be when looking for a new job.
I disagree, I think that those of us who are older most certainly know how to dress to apply for a job.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
I was the manager of a convenience store for a while and we would get the scuzziest people applying!! A rule for me was, 'If I can see your underwear, you won't be working here.' First appearances mean everything... even when I applied to the store I wore a skirt suit. I don't care HOW 'lowly' the job may be, taking your time to look nice WILL be noticed, and it will show that you take pride in whatever you do.

I HATED interviewing as manager... I just wanted to smack most of the people upside their heads.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
(Oh, and leave your buddy in the car, if you need someone to hold your hand while you ask for an application, you're not getting hired here...)[/quote]

It's usually not a buddy. It's probably the parole officer!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
If I walked in off the street to apply because of a sign on a window, I'd apologize for not being properly dressed "But just wanted to answer right away."
Same if someone wanted me to come if for an interview when I was unable to get home first, or something.
Then again, I don't bop around in anything worse than jeans, no cleavage, etc.
Although I did get a job as a teen once because "you have better legs than the other girls." Ah, girlhood- it's a swamp.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:28 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,703 times
Haa haa .. reminds me off when one dude came in with Biker Pants with holes all over it.. armpits reeking.. and saying.. sorry.. I am not properly dressed but I am looking for a job....

He currently is still looking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search