Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times

Advertisements

Well, one nice things, is that even if the job fair comes to naught, it will count toward your U.C. job search requirment.

cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
quote=gea12345;8897998]Well, one nice things, is that even if the job fair comes to naught, it will count toward your U.C. job search requirment.

cheers![/quote]

Bingo!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Personally, I think it is a waste of time unless it is specific to certain industry etc.
I went to one recently and many Cos told to apply online - they did not even accept resumes. What's the point?
From another side, I look at specific job fairs as networjking opportunities with other seakers - you exchange the info and later may keep in touch/exchage the info etc...
Just my 5 cents
But a lot of job fairs ARE industry-specific. At this point, with people beating each other up in parking lots to see who gets to run the cash register part-time at the Smoker's Depot, I would not want to be that choosy.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 998 times
Yes it is. I got a job once at a job fair.
It's all about showing you want it . I was the first one in line.
Group interviews & job fairs whatever. If you show them you want it and your determined. they'll give it too you. I don't know if I was just lucky but I got called the next day after . It wasn't an easy process there were soo many females in one group at a corner of a store.
It's all about patients.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macylikesmac View Post
Group interviews & job fairs whatever. If you show them you want it and your determined. they'll give it too you. I don't know if I was just lucky but I got called the next day after . It wasn't an easy process there were soo many females in one group at a corner of a store.
It's all about patients.
99% of the time you don't get a job from a job fair

Old 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macylikesmac View Post
It's all about patients.
Baloney. That might work for 1 in a million but it is not the norm at the job fairs.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Baloney. That might work for 1 in a million but it is not the norm at the job fairs.
Most people who attend general job fairs find they're just taking applications. They get dressed up(well some of them), waste gas, and leave empty handed.

There was in Atlanta awhile back where people waited in the heat in a long line only to find out they needed to actually apply online.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
I got a job at a job fair. It was for a call center. actually, I went to the job fair just to get practice in interviewing, since I hadn't worked for many years. I figured I probably wouldn't get anything, but at least it was a baby step towards that direction.

However, that was before the big Recession. since then, my dh was laid off and attended many job fairs that were a complete waste of time. At least it gives you your required number of contacts that week for unemployment.

but whatever you do, treat ALL possibilities as a potential job lead. for that job fair I went to, I dressed nice, took along resumes, and put my best foot forward. so happens they really were looking to hire that day!

Just don't go in cut offs, not groomed well, etc. And bring resumes, even if they say to apply online, its one more way to stay in their face.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
I would never go to a job fair. Too many faces competing for too few jobs. My time would be far better spend applying to jobs around the country. Why limit yourself to one local area? Work smarter, not harder.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I've been going to job fairs since I graduated in 1992 and I had never gotten 1 job. At one job fair I was the perfect candidate for a Proe aerospace designer job - I used Windchill, had a low level security clearance, and work for Nasa's primary engineering contractor, Jacobs ESCG. - The lady HR who took my resume didn't even seem to care. I think they reserved this job for a good looking white guy, as white people are still privileged in this world.

I went to a Navy Pier job fair in Chicago in 2009 dressed in a skirt suit so that I can interview with the Secret Service and show them I'm a disguisable agent - I can look good as a man or a woman. They were only giving out info so it was a waste of my time and I had to interview at other companies dressed as a woman. At least it was an interesting and unique experience. Gee Frity Lay was accepting of me and said I looked beautiful in a skirt suit.

I went to one job fair in 2010 and it was a waste of time too. Too make it worth my time I just wasted a little time there scoping out if there were any pretty women to date, there were none. I've skipped all Chicago 2011 Job Fairs because I look online at the participating companies and they were not worth it. I think the current modern day Job Fair just make money for parking, the hotel, and the restaurants nearby. Maybe I should amuse myself again one day and just go to a Job Fair in a skirt suit pretending I'm a real beautiful woman and use my female voice.

But back in the Dot com era Job Fairs were loaded with IT jobs. Especially for Y2K, but these fairs stank for regular engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search