Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times

Advertisements

Manpower: Employers struggling to find qualified job candidates - Triangle Business Journal:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Where are they living West Cackalaka???

Drivers, teachers, sales reps, laborers are a dime a dozen round here....

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Teachers? Where, I'm there...because nothing is happening here...that's for sure.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
I think the problem is wading through the unqualified to get at the truly qualified applicants.

We see this all the time.

Trying to hire a certified inspector. Pay is $25 per hour plus 12% commission with furnished company car. We will get hundreds of applications flooding in despite the fact the registry for the the entire state totals only 86 people and all of those are working.

One out of a hundred (maybe) is qualified.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
We run into the same problem where I work. Totally unqualified applicants. We specifically require a certification--our government contracts require it--and one of 50 applicants have it.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We run into the same problem where I work. Totally unqualified applicants. We specifically require a certification--our government contracts require it--and one of 50 applicants have it.
"But I can get it I was always good at taking tests in school!"

Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
"But I can get it I was always good at taking tests in school!"
I feel for the people that have to listen to that kind of stuff on a regular basis.

I worked as a temp secretary for a dept in a state MR service agency that was hiring a counselor/social worker type person - some sort of advanced service coordinator. I don't think they needed a license, but the state required a Masters degree for the position. I had people trying to get little old me to reconsider their application even though they did not have the MS, like I had anything to do with it. I guess they figured if they annoyed me enough I would get the bosses to talk to them, even though the bosses had already screened their app and put it in the "do not call for an interview" pile.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times
Finding a combination of fit, energy, availability and credentials is very difficult even in today's economy. The large company I work for in the Washington DC area is always re advertising job openings because we can not find the right person.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Finding a combination of fit, energy, availability and credentials is very difficult even in today's economy. The large company I work for in the Washington DC area is always re advertising job openings because we can not find the right person.
Note to recent college grads: Your college diploma is really nice, it's a nice thing to have and shows you went after something and achieved a goal. This is really nice and I am impressed but I got to tell you with your level of work history and experience that degree is worth nowhere near what you think it is. For many it isn't worth half, or sometimes even a third, of what some of you think it is. I've met lots of 24 year old's who think they're worth $60K when in real life they're barely worth $25K.

With some the sense of entitlement is simply overwhelming. "I have a degree, I worked hard and you have to pay me $70,000 because I'm entitled to it because it's in the constitution or something you have to pay me a fair living wage."

This sort of attitude always causes me bouts of uncontrollable laughter.

You are only worth what someone is willing to pay and they are only willing to pay that when you can demonstrate you have the ability to make the company more money than you cost.

Last edited by nicet4; 05-28-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 01:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
Well, in Dec 1992 I was a recent college grad and my hope was getting a $38,000 a year job. My first engineering related job sucked at $10 / hr, - but I considered it an internship to a better job [I did ISO 9000 procedure writing of an Investment Casting Plant]. So greedy companies only hurt people if they pay low wages and these people suffer and don't have a life. Companies should be fair and provide just wages, not slave labor wages so that profits and money go to the rich guys / shareholders.

I'm a perfect candidate now to work for Northrop Grumman, but they didn't hire me at the last job fair. I think it's a waste of time to go to the next job fair at Soldier Field and pay $$ for parking, and Northrop Grumman will be there again too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search