Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

I just applied for a position that required 2 years experience, degree, good communication and presentation skills and all that stuff. It paid normal pay(or even slightly less) for a position like that but had NO benefits and was only a year contract. So I was asking myself WHY anyone with 2 years experience and a degree would even take that job because someone with that experience and education could easily get a job with benefits and with no end date. Or someone would just take it until they get a job with benefits and doesn't end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I just applied for a position that required 2 years experience, degree, good communication and presentation skills and all that stuff. It paid normal pay(or even slightly less) for a position like that but had NO benefits and was only a year contract. So I was asking myself WHY anyone with 2 years experience and a degree would even take that job because someone with that experience and education could easily get a job with benefits and with no end date. Or someone would just take it until they get a job with benefits and doesn't end.
Not really. Jobs are hard to come by these days. My employer has hired, and is currently hiring for entry level positions with a BS, but no experience required, and are getting applicants with several years of experience, willing to start over at the bottom (myself included). Nothing is easy anymore.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not really. Jobs are hard to come by these days. My employer has hired, and is currently hiring for entry level positions with a BS, but no experience required, and are getting applicants with several years of experience, willing to start over at the bottom (myself included). Nothing is easy anymore.
Yes, but I think it's common for people to apply for jobs they are a few years overqualified for. No benefits is a bigger deal. I mean unless you are unemployed, you aren't going to apply for a job with no benefits.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,495 times
Last year, the US government was advertising for volunteer assistant US attorney positions. The positions required a one year commitment and only "highly qualified" attorneys were eligible (I guess only moderately qualified attorneys could not even obtain voluntary work).
Would You Work as a Federal Prosecutor — for Free? « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts

Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Some people don't need benefits because their spouse gets medical benefits from their job. Just wait until Jan 2014 when Obamacare kicks in - contractors will be able to purchase med insurance from the exchanges.

Some folks actually like the idea of having an end date for a job. I am one of them. I look forward to taking time off in between gigs. And it is fun to go to the next gig and experience a new project. When you go from gig to gig you pick up lots of experience. Some folks thrive on the constant change.

Another nice thing about contract work - you don't worry about promotions or annual reviews and layoff rumors don't cause any stress at all. You know you are gone in x months. Sometimes you are surprised and the contract is extended. The great part - you can choose to allow the contract to expire if you choose (maybe you have something better lined up or maybe the project isn't fun and you can simply move on without quitting. Your reason for leaving: the contract expired)

Many contractors get full-time job offers when they are on gigs...they often turn them down because they like being a contractor.

Another perk in contract work...you are paid by the hour. The salaried folks often work weekends and after hours but the contractors at many companies are limited to 40 hrs. That's kind of nice. However, if more work is needed by the contractors, they are paid for every additional hour worked.

I would rather take contract work over perm work any day.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that a perm job with no end date will last forever. Your end date might not be written on a contract, but it could come at any time.

Contracts could last a long time in some cases....I spent 5 years on one contract gig and 3 on another. That 3 year gig, I resigned when I moved to a different area, else I could have stayed longer. The 5 year gig they tried to get me to come perm but I made more money staying as a contractor and worked fewer hours. The full time folks worked 52+ hrs per week. I worked 40 hrs/week and made more money.

I actually resigned a very good perm job for a contract gig.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-29-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Didn't you just apply? Most likely there are others like you.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Didn't you just apply? Most likely there are others like you.
Yes, but I don't have the 2 years experience. Just an internship and some other slightly related experience. I'm hoping there won't be a lot of qualified people applying. I also don't have to have the benefits right now because I'm healthy, single, and still have them through my previous job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search