Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 86,711 times

Advertisements

I was curious what hiring managers would think of someone who has applied and interviewed well with you, has a good solid resume and history but has one blemish.
I am a customer service kind of seeker. Began in a retail when I was young, had an issue and then rebounded back to customer service where I worked for a large telecommunications co that closed shop during the dot com burst, from there I spent the next 7 years where I currently am actually at the electric company.
I want to broaden my future but am stuck with what I can do .
When I was working my first job of which i spent 7 years there from when I was 15 to 22 I was arrested for Larceny over 250.00 of which is a felony, I was given a 1 year probation but was marked and still am to this day with a blemished record.
Since this time in my life I have, i think, proven to show that what Happened to me has changed me and that was not the person when it happened. I volunteered and continue to to various non profits, work hard and have gained numeruous accommodations from my current employer and past employers. Yet I cannot shake off my record.
Interviewing is tough because I know i have to bring up what happened to me, I am honest with the interviewer and try to make what happened into a positive learning time in my life. Yet its still hard for hiring personel to not look past the blemish.
Do i have any hope? Its been 14 years whereas in one more year I can expunge my record or seal my record but I feel that there will still be obstacles even after i can do this.
What do hirnig managers, interviewers think of a person when they are straightforward and honest about something that may hinder their chances of a position....Do you sometime look past it beucase the person is a great candidate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I think it would be a great idea to get it expunged, but it will continue to show on checks for positions that require deep security checks like government clearence. FYI: Expungements never completely go away--a dirty little secret the lawyers don't tell you.

You are forunate that your crime wasn't a violent one. Many companies won't hire someone with a violent or sex related felony, but will hire someone with a theft or drug related felony on a case-by-case basis. You have done everything right--you've admitted fault, accepted the consequences, and clearly done everything you needed to in order to get another shot.

Also, you want to broaden your future, but you don't really say what field you are interested in. I think that's the key. Are you willing to go back to school to learn a trade? What skills do you have now? You really haven't given us a ton of information on that.

Also, I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask, especially if you put it down on the application so you have disclosed it.

Good luck to you, and if you can give a little more information, I'm sure we'd have some suggestions.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
The larceny conviction is definitely a mark against you. But as it happened 14 years ago, as a very young person, and you have had a clean record since that time, I would not rule you out as a candidate.

In truth, you would have to have better credentials and experience compared to the rest of the candidate pool, to balance out that black mark.

Definitely bring it up early in the process however. If I know something like this about a candidate up front, I can take this into account, and build a case supporting this candidate to my HR, Internal Audit, and Loss Prevention departments. If I were to be blindsided by this late in the process, I would have to cut my losses and go to candidate #2.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Apparently you were a minor when the felony occurred.
I suggest that you get it expunged. I would give you credit for the effort.

If you ever go for a government clearance, just be honest about it.
They're looking for honesty and integrity more than anything.

I wouldn't rule you out either.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently you were a minor when the felony occurred.
I suggest that you get it expunged. I would give you credit for the effort.
I read it as they were 22 and the items stolen were potentially from teh retail store they worked at.

Quote:
If you ever go for a government clearance, just be honest about it.
They're looking for honesty and integrity more than anything.

I wouldn't rule you out either.
Actually it could and would be a no-go for some government jobs. Regardless of expungement. Some clearances won't even allow for petty juvenile crime. Just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search