Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
According to another thread, WT was going to the Orient somewhere..Japan or China or something...

Maybe he or she is out there lecturing the Chinese how to fix their economy.
Oh no, they will consider that worse than dropping the nuke on Hiroshima!

Talk about bombing an economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
[quote=GypsySoul22;10027372]According to another thread, WT was going to the Orient somewhere..Japan or China or something...

Maybe he or she is out there lecturing the Chinese how to fix their economy.[/quote

Awwh, Jane can't post while Jerry's away?

Last edited by virgode; 07-30-2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: font

Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You can't conclude, Laid off = poor job performance.

Lay offs happen for a couple of reasons, department downsizing
or completely disolved, another seniority.

When employers do employment checks they often will not
reveal fired status for legal reasons.

The Op is looking for posters willing to admit they've been fired.
Nothing more compassionate or kinder about this, just nosey.
He still refuses to take his binoculars off.
If HR is looking into finances they will find out that many of us are receiving unemployment benefits. Most states won't allow you to collect unemployment if you are fired through fault of your own. Unemployment is only available for people who are out of work through no fault of their own.

I don't like threads like this because a lot of unemployed people are feeling really bad that they can't find a job and this only makes them feel worse.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
If HR is looking into finances they will find out that many of us are receiving unemployment benefits. Most states won't allow you to collect unemployment if you are fired through fault of your own. Unemployment is only available for people who are out of work through no fault of their own.

I don't like threads like this because a lot of unemployed people are feeling really bad that they can't find a job and this only makes them feel worse.

Read this last portion of my post, Always the OPs ultimate goal,
He/she thrives on someone elses hardship.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post

Well, yeah, if they're negative people to begin with. A positive, hopeful unemployed person such as I am wants all the information he can get about the current hiring climate. If it's bad news for me, then I figure out a way around it. Life is full of bad news. It does no good to ignore it.

I'm not surprised in the least that hiring managers save time by lumping laid off and fired people together. If you have a good candidate who falls into neither category, why would you pass over him to hire someone who might have been fired for incompetence?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Well, yeah, if they're negative people to begin with. A positive, hopeful unemployed person such as I am wants all the information he can get about the current hiring climate. If it's bad news for me, then I figure out a way around it. Life is full of bad news. It does no good to ignore it.

I'm not surprised in the least that hiring managers save time by lumping laid off and fired people together. If you have a good candidate who falls into neither category, why would you pass over him to hire someone who might have been fired for incompetence?
One reason to pass over someone who is planning to quit an existing job as soon as you make a job offer is if you don't want to hire someone who is a job-hopper. If job-hopping is OK with the employer, then never mind.

Another thing that hiring managers should consider is that someone who has been unemployed for six months may have been more discriminating over those last six months than someone who was laid off last week and will take anything that pays more than unemployment comp. The six months guy is going to be happier and more stable than the one week unemployed guy.

When I interviewed several weeks ago, after having been unemployed almost six months, in a 1.5 hour interview with six different people, I was only asked once why I am looking for work. My answer was "I was laid off" and they said OK and moved on to the next question. Unlike the OP, they are in tune with reality and aren't interested in playing games.

As far as being fired and pretending it's a layoff... when your previous employer refuses to provide that kind of information to avoid lawsuits, then in some sense it doesn't matter. There's the fact that the hiring manager is never going to find out unless he does a bunch of research and believes hearsay (which makes you wonder why he has that kind of time on his hands), and even if you are fired, that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to screw up at your next job.

I've been fired before, once, and I made sure not to make the same kind of mistake again. Expecting people to be perfect, which the OP likes to do in his bizarro world, is just not realistic.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,724 times
My mortgage company merged three separate times and each time they merged there were layoffs. I managed to avoid two of them but the third one got me. I have recommendation letters up the wazoo, and people that I have worked for, worked with all of whom would gladly put a good word in nothing helps. I have been out of work for two years. I have been trying to get into other field, because the mortgage industry was and still is so volatile. I am looking to go into nursing or something that doesn't lay off every-time there is an economic down turn. The mortgage industry is just that way they hire when real estate is booming and layoff when it is not. I don't like the roller coaster ride at all! Usually they ask you what happened and they call to verify your claim. I am not even sure they are doing that anymore. I was a good employee, not perfect, but good. I tried hard to stay clear of the politics keep my nose clean and do what was expected of me to the best of my ability. In my past before all this economic BS I went through temp services. I would temp for ninety days, which was the contract they had with the temp service. They were under no obligation to hire me for any reason other than I did my job. And there were occasions in which, I went to work for one week they loved me and hired me. I know live in such a small place that if you don't know someone your are screwed and you will not be hired. I as you what do I tell me four year old and two year old when I have no money to take care of them. I have done nothing. There are a lot of politics running ramped out there and people in power who are just plain mean! If they don't like the way you look your ass-ed out. If they feel you are more qualified then they are you will not be hired, you might take their job. The United States is very selfish and self centered, people don't care about other people just them selves. It is very sad to see what we have become, greedy, uncaring, unfeeling, selfish, hurtful, vengeful and monstrous. I pray for us all. And no I am not a religious fanatic either, just a realist.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
If you're worried about that, just assure them that your old supervisor will give you a great reference. That should handle any concerns about it not being a true layoff
My supervisor was laid off too. I have to use an HR person as a contact. I guess that fact alone could help the situation.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilaim View Post
My mortgage company merged three separate times and each time they merged there were layoffs. I managed to avoid two of them but the third one got me. I have recommendation letters up the wazoo, and people that I have worked for, worked with all of whom would gladly put a good word in nothing helps. I have been out of work for two years. I have been trying to get into other field, because the mortgage industry was and still is so volatile. I am looking to go into nursing or something that doesn't lay off every-time there is an economic down turn. The mortgage industry is just that way they hire when real estate is booming and layoff when it is not. I don't like the roller coaster ride at all! Usually they ask you what happened and they call to verify your claim. I am not even sure they are doing that anymore. I was a good employee, not perfect, but good. I tried hard to stay clear of the politics keep my nose clean and do what was expected of me to the best of my ability. In my past before all this economic BS I went through temp services. I would temp for ninety days, which was the contract they had with the temp service. They were under no obligation to hire me for any reason other than I did my job. And there were occasions in which, I went to work for one week they loved me and hired me. I know live in such a small place that if you don't know someone your are screwed and you will not be hired. I as you what do I tell me four year old and two year old when I have no money to take care of them. I have done nothing. There are a lot of politics running ramped out there and people in power who are just plain mean! If they don't like the way you look your ass-ed out. If they feel you are more qualified then they are you will not be hired, you might take their job. The United States is very selfish and self centered, people don't care about other people just them selves. It is very sad to see what we have become, greedy, uncaring, unfeeling, selfish, hurtful, vengeful and monstrous. I pray for us all. And no I am not a religious fanatic either, just a realist.
wow that is a lot of rambling in one paragraph...

Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
wow that is a lot of rambling in one paragraph...
unemployment and worry will do that to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search