Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Noticed yesterday that a person can ALSO place a employment "wanted" type ad on craigslist. Anyone ever done this with any results. I also noticed that some people are placing their entire resume in their "wanted" ad! Don't think I'd do that.
Was just wondering if any has ever done the "job wanted" type employment ad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Our paper offers this service (free) due to the recession but I have yet to use it.

When I lived in PA, years ago, we had a similar offer (ad for very little $) and I got one call from someone who was 'amused' by my tactic, but nothing came of it.

I had an ad on Craigslist and got a ton of spam and scammer emails. The only person who was 'interested' in my service seemed suspicious (would not give me a real phone #), was vague..I didn't bother following up.

I'm leery about Craigslist...

Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Noticed yesterday that a person can ALSO place a employment "wanted" type ad on craigslist. Anyone ever done this with any results. I also noticed that some people are placing their entire resume in their "wanted" ad! Don't think I'd do that.
Was just wondering if any has ever done the "job wanted" type employment ad?
If you include all the people that post their resumes to employment sites like Hotjobs, Careerbuilder & Monster, I'd say that at least half the US at one point or another has posted an employment wanted ad of some sort. Maybe a lot more than that in this economy As for putting personal info in Craigs List ....Not in a million years!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Well, I'm going to try it........but, NOT put my entire resume on, just a summary and absolutley no personal info. Some people, NOT ME, just trust too much!!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
I would suggest that you create a new email address on Yahoo, Gmail or another service. Use it specifically for replies to your ad. That way you can simply walk away if the spam is too much. No reason your primary email should become a spam haven.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:52 PM

66 posts, read 155,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I would suggest that you create a new email address on Yahoo, Gmail or another service. Use it specifically for replies to your ad. That way you can simply walk away if the spam is too much. No reason your primary email should become a spam haven.
I was going to answer LoveBoating but I can say it here. JT is right. Set up a toss away email that you will not use except for Craigslist ads. For every Craigslist ad you place you will receive 100 SPAMs. It does not matter if it's in the employment, for sale, wanted, barter, room for rent, real estate.........it dont matter. You will get slammed with SPAM. You dont want that in your regular email.

There are those with SPAM BOTS and it automaticly SPAMs every post, sometimes several times.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Yeah, watch out for African scams that seem real.
I put an ad for tutoring and got a few "My name is Mr. John Andrews and my son Trevor will be coming from abroad to stay in the USA and I want you to tutor him.."

It's a typical African scam and usually they us gmail accounts...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 16,832 times
Default Visit my web site

Aloha and how are you today my name is josten g. And i am physicaly looking for a permanent job my skills and self are ready to become your next role model in todays people my resume is not set up yet but you can visit me on.line at deangutierres@yahoo.com i am a professional at work management and i study the cost of todays society my favorite subject is science and im a young male seeking opportunity.id'e like to thank you and show you my work skills and thinking skills can escalade a small business into a large companies the vocational learning will be an experiance for both me and your company.again thank you for complying with my individual preferance.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSTENGUTIERRES View Post
Aloha and how are you today my name is josten g. And i am physicaly looking for a permanent job my skills and self are ready to become your next role model in todays people my resume is not set up yet but you can visit me on.line at XXX i am a professional at work management and i study the cost of todays society my favorite subject is science and im a young male seeking opportunity.id'e like to thank you and show you my work skills and thinking skills can escalade a small business into a large companies the vocational learning will be an experiance for both me and your company.again thank you for complying with my individual preferance.
HAHA, talk about spam (this is obviously a spam bot by the way, please no one click on the link).

Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
For the most part it is a complete waste of time, at least it has been for me in the Nashville Craigslist.

1) Too many idiots posting nonsense advertisements. There are a lot of "I need work" titles; or just plain nonsense like "Single mother needs work" or "Christian needs work" or "NEED WORK DESPERATLY WILL DO ANYTHING LEGAL". If you can't list your skills in the freaking title whats the point of an advertisement? Do this idiots think an employer is going to open every single ad? A serious employer could not be expected to wade through the B.S. on the off chance he/she might find the 5% of the serious job seekers.

2) The idiot employers who DO look at the ads don't read too carefully. I had a few responses but for jobs that had very little to do with my stated objectives. No, I did not get a degree in managerial accounting and pass the CMA exam so I could fill in at your trucking company in accounts payable for 10 dollars an hour (oh, 40 miles away from my house AS CLEARLY STATED IN MY ADVERTISEMENT!)

3) The insurance sales a-hole who wants to recruit you to sell life insurance to your friends and family. HELLO? You can tell those types because they will be cryptic about their business until you talk to them.

4) The scammers are the only ones you can really count on.

No, I no longer advertise on Craigslist; it isn't worth the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search