Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM

75 posts, read 574,876 times

Advertisements

Ok. My last two jobs have being less than routine. The deal is that in the past five years I have being struggling with cronic insomnia and in some days after not being able to sleep for five days straight I just call in sick or ask to work from home. In my semi-last job I called in sick or asked to work from home about seven times over two years. But I explained the situation to by boss who seem to accomodate. I left that job because of a pay increase dispute. I gave my one months notice and she quickly accepted and found a replacement in a very competent former employee. Problem is that this former employee subsequently declined the position two weeks to her start date and my former boss wanted me to hang around till she hired someone else and I said no and she just offered the temp the job and I trainned him before I left. The problem now is that she is giving everyone bad references about me. Two high paying jobs offers have went into the toilet before I knew. I confronted her on the last one and she indicated I had attendance issues.

In my last job I was let go after 10 months because we had a change of director and the new director let me go after taking a an entitled/approved vacation day with no explanation. I think my manager told him I had attendance issues in the past and they both decided behind closed doors that any more absence for whatever reason will result in termination. The last job was a step down (Sr to entry) because I relocated to another city and took the first available job which I hated and was really happy I was let go. I have also finally found the source of my insomnia and thats under complete control.

My dillema now is I completely excluded my last job from my resume because its easier to claim one former boss is victictive but no one will buy that two former employers are vicdictive. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan5576 View Post
Ok. My last two jobs have being less than routine. The deal is that in the past five years I have being struggling with cronic insomnia and in some days after not being able to sleep for five days straight I just call in sick or ask to work from home. In my semi-last job I called in sick or asked to work from home about seven times over two years. But I explained the situation to by boss who seem to accomodate. I left that job because of a pay increase dispute. I gave my one months notice and she quickly accepted and found a replacement in a very competent former employee. Problem is that this former employee subsequently declined the position two weeks to her start date and my former boss wanted me to hang around till she hired someone else and I said no and she just offered the temp the job and I trainned him before I left. The problem now is that she is giving everyone bad references about me. Two high paying jobs offers have went into the toilet before I knew. I confronted her on the last one and she indicated I had attendance issues.

In my last job I was let go after 10 months because we had a change of director and the new director let me go after taking a an entitled/approved vacation day with no explanation. I think my manager told him I had attendance issues in the past and they both decided behind closed doors that any more absence for whatever reason will result in termination. The last job was a step down (Sr to entry) because I relocated to another city and took the first available job which I hated and was really happy I was let go. I have also finally found the source of my insomnia and thats under complete control.

My dillema now is I completely excluded my last job from my resume because its easier to claim one former boss is victictive but no one will buy that two former employers are vicdictive. Any advice?

I would give them no information to contact your former employer. Your former employer should only be telling them that you either worked there or you didn't (don't give them the opportunity in the first place). Use former coworkers as reference. Don't put down phone numbers. On your application tell them that it is not alright to contact fomer employer. The best thing you can try to do is give them the name of a supervisor in another department that you might have known.

I have eliminated previous jobs in my resume. You just have to be ready to explain the employment gaps. But there are other issues. If I am filling out an application I list everything since they usually have to be signed. Oh, and once they get your SSN they might be able to find out past employers anyways since everyone seems to be doing credit checks these days.

I would start by just trying to eliminate as much information as possible (phone numbers, contacts, heck if you have multiple offices in the same state just leave the addres off), without omitting stuff they can verify such as previous jobs If that doesn't work then start omitting jobs.

I did hear of a company that will pretend to be a company interested in hiring you that will call past employers to find out what they say. Not sure what legal actions there are these days.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Does this company have a HR department? I thought it was illegal to say anything bad except verify employment dates and such. ?
I have excluded places off of my resume that don't relate to the job I am going for the if you spent a long time there you would probably want that on your resume.
This is a tough one and I feel for you

Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
It is illegal for them to do anything other than provide verification of employment unless you specifically add that person as a reference.

Basically, they can call and ask if you worked there, dates of employment, and if you are rehireable. That's it. Anything else and they are overstepping their bounds and you have a potential lawsuit.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
It is NOT illegal to give more information than dates of employment and pay rate. The information given must be factual and without personal prejudice.

NOT OK:

"Titan was a slacker who called out all the time because they had some sort of sleep disorder."

OK:

"Titan left over a compensation disagreement." or "When we asked Titan to stay on past their notice date, s/he wasn't willing to do so." or "Titan had some personal issues that caused unexpected absence from the workplace from time to time."

All of these are truthful, and as such can be stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search