Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
here's the job description from the email he sent me:

*** Description/Comment: Provide analytical support to a business unit, segment or function by maintaining, analyzing and reporting data. Maintain databases and updates as needed. The ideal Candidate will have excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent negotiation skills; and an ability to multitask; strong attention to detail and be able to work autonomously.

10 key by touch, Excel, Data Entry

I've already talked to him and he said he was going to send me the email with the info on the job and all and whatever info he needs from me - which is 3 references.

I don't know, the job description doesn't really sound like a basic data entry position to me. I'm sort of holding off on responding to him for right now until I get some feedback and thinking on it all.

And also I have VERY limited experience with Excel. I used it a VERY little bit at my last job and still had to ask for help!

So it could be one of a few things.

1. He is really interested in you and thinks your skills would fit the position. He may know something about the position from talking with the hiring manager that although they may wish to have someone who has this and this and this and that-- perhaps maybe with their salary range or maybe the type of job they really can't get that type of person and the job is really more of a fit with someone with your skills or your resume shows that you can pick up additional skills, etc.

2. He is fishing for your supervisors and references to cold call for the same position. What this means: When I was a recruiter, many of our clients had access to things like monster.com, careerbuilder.com, etc. So the clients wanted us to find them the candidates that they could not find (i.e. those who were not searching necessarily for jobs). So one way that I would find people would be by researching company websites, pulling references off of people's resumes, contacting previous candidates for networking, etc. I didn't typically go out and contact someone directly and try to get their references to call for another job, but others did. I would use the ones provided out in the open (i.e. some people place references in their resumes).

3. He is trying to meet a quota of people he has talked to for a position. I doubt this is so much an issue now considering how many people ARE looking for jobs these days-- there should be no shortage of people to talk to each week to fulfill a recruiter's numbers. However back when I recruited I had to talk to a number of people (interviewing, etc) each week as part of my measured performance (it may have been like 80 -100). I also had a certain number of people whom I had to cold call (20).

I think more than likely it is reason 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
[quote=lovetheduns;10231004]So it could be one of a few things.

1. He is really interested in you and thinks your skills would fit the position. He may know something about the position from talking with the hiring manager that although they may wish to have someone who has this and this and this and that-- perhaps maybe with their salary range or maybe the type of job they really can't get that type of person and the job is really more of a fit with someone with your skills or your resume shows that you can pick up additional skills, etc.

2. He is fishing for your supervisors and references to cold call for the same position. What this means: When I was a recruiter, many of our clients had access to things like monster.com, careerbuilder.com, etc. So the clients wanted us to find them the candidates that they could not find (i.e. those who were not searching necessarily for jobs). So one way that I would find people would be by researching company websites, pulling references off of people's resumes, contacting previous candidates for networking, etc. I didn't typically go out and contact someone directly and try to get their references to call for another job, but others did. I would use the ones provided out in the open (i.e. some people place references in their resumes).

3. He is trying to meet a quota of people he has talked to for a position. I doubt this is so much an issue now considering how many people ARE looking for jobs these days-- there should be no shortage of people to talk to each week to fulfill a recruiter's numbers. However back when I recruited I had to talk to a number of people (interviewing, etc) each week as part of my measured performance (it may have been like 80 -100). I also had a certain number of people whom I had to cold call (20).

************************************************** ************************************************** *

#2 is the most likely reason. My dh and I get almost constant calls from headhunters, sounding like we're just the one, they're probably fishing for more difficult to obtain names. Hey, those guys already have a job, what's the likelihood of recruiting someone away from a job they're established with as opposed to someone actively seeking work? the only ones you can actively recruit away from a job they're currently at is someone who's unhappy with their current position, so, you really want someone coming to you p'od at his current situation, as opposed to someone actively looking for a job and grateful for employment again

Last edited by marylee54; 08-11-2009 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM

256 posts, read 894,567 times
Sounds pretty legit. I had recruiters contact me. I think what they do is check your references before pushing your resume along to the hiring manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search