Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:04 PM

26 posts, read 63,921 times

Advertisements

Hi ...
I went on an interview on Thursday, I thought it went really well. It was at a University he gave me a tour and introduced me to some of the staff and even mentioned what salary he can offer. He said that he would call me on Monday but he if didn't for me to give him a ring.

On Monday I called in the afternoon to inquire about the position he said that he was waitng on the president to get back to him and I may have to interview with him and to give him 24 hours.

I am located in NY and the job was in another state and he appreciated me flying down for the inteview and mentioned I would only have to do a phone inteview with the president. I sent him a thank you email on the day of the interview. Classes started on Monday so I know it may be busy. But it is now Wednesday what should I do next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Wait.

I assume that you are talking about a managerial position, rather than a staff or academic position.
Universities are huge bureaucracies, and you probably spoke to somebody with a title similar to director. At a minimum, he/she will need to send your resume to HR for reference checks. Salary will need to be approved by a VP. A phone interview with a VP might happen, but I would be surprised if it were the actual president, unless your position is in the presidents office, or it is a very small university.

Any number of situations could arise to distract any of the people in this chain of events, delaying any offer.

Give it a full week, and check back. Send an email, or leave a phone message. Don't be surprised if you hear back with some sort of reason such as another approval is needed. This happens all the time, and would most likely be the truth, rather than a brush off.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Yes the person that I interviewed with was the head of that department and it is a small university.

Tomorrow will be a week since my interview I guess if I don't hear back by tomorrow I will send an email.

Thank you!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiles View Post
Yes the person that I interviewed with was the head of that department and it is a small university.

Tomorrow will be a week since my interview I guess if I don't hear back by tomorrow I will send an email.

Thank you!
Good luck! .

Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Thank you!

After I sent the email I received a response saying that he is still waiting for regional person to contact me for a phone interview. So now I just have to be patient and wait!

Last edited by jsmiles; 10-29-2009 at 08:21 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM

So I've had 2 phone interviews 1 with the regional person and 1 with the President. I received an email saying that I was 1 of 3 being considered for the position.

I'm excited and anxious to know the results. I was told on Thursday I may have one more person to interview with but haven't heard back yet.

I am continuously checking my phone ... hopefully I find out something soon!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Fingers crossed for you.

What feels like an eternity for a potential new hire is like a nanosecond for the person doing the hiring. They usually just have so many other things they are dealing with--usually things that are in their face, and you are separated by a telephone or email, so it is easier to put you off and deal with the other things first.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Thank you

Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
I have my fingers, arms, legs and toes crossed for you! To achieve one out of three candidates is excellent.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Thank you so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search