Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I notice you said photo at the top...Can you offer any insight on the difference appearance makes in your companies selection process?
I noticed that as well. The general consensus is that photos should NOT be included on a resume unless you are pursuing a modeling job or acting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I noticed that as well. The general consensus is that photos should NOT be included on a resume unless you are pursuing a modeling job or acting.
I agree...And even if applying for a visual position, I've heard ONLY to have a picture if you're attractive...Otherwise don't...

There are 100s of stories of where attractive females sent resumes, go no response, resent resumes with their photos an got hired...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:38 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Got help from my college career center. While I think going to the advisor helped improve my resume considerably, I also couldn't help but come to the realization that there are really a ton of good formats to a resume and it seems that each HR "expert" is convinced that theirs is the only right way. I say this as my previous resume version had been fine to two other advisors before bringing it to the one that suggested my current format. Maybe the third advisor was indeed the one who knew what she was talking about among the three of them, but who am I to know who's right? If anything, it just reflected poorly on my career center's staff for not being on the same page.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Got help from my college career center. While I think going to the advisor helped improve my resume considerably, I also couldn't help but come to the realization that there are really a ton of good formats to a resume and it seems that each HR "expert" is convinced that theirs is the only right way. I say this as my previous resume version had been fine to two other advisors before bringing it to the one that suggested my current format. Maybe the third advisor was indeed the one who knew what she was talking about among the three of them, but who am I to know who's right? If anything, it just reflected poorly on my career center's staff for not being on the same page.
There is no "right" way to do a resume as different formats serves different purposes. The key is a resume that highlights your experience and education in the best possible way. If you have had a lot of short-term jobs, gaps in your history or lack of work experience, the functional format works best. The functional resume focuses more on your skills and qualities versus dates of employment. If you have a strong and consistent work history, then a chronological format may serve you better. My resume is a combination of the two formats, aka hybrid.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
If you send out your resume to ten different evaluators, you'll get ten different answers...

I have done tons of resume research and the consensus seems to be the objective is going extinct, so I didn't put one on mine, I have a three sentence "executive summary". I went to a recent interview, the interviewer said "tell me about yourself" as I was answering she interrupted by asking "why don't you have an objective on your resume?"

During my research, I've concluded about 80% of resumes go through some sort of scanner/filter. Depends on the software/equipment of the company, guessing half of the submitted resumes are filtered before a human even sees them. At companies that where they have to manual scan resumes, with today's "employers market" in the interest reducing the amount to scanned, they'll take a stack of resumes and throw out any that do not have a four year degree.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
If you send out your resume to ten different evaluators, you'll get ten different answers...

I have done tons of resume research and the consensus seems to be the objective is going extinct, so I didn't put one on mine, I have a three sentence "executive summary". I went to a recent interview, the interviewer said "tell me about yourself" as I was answering she interrupted by asking "why don't you have an objective on your resume?"

During my research, I've concluded about 80% of resumes go through some sort of scanner/filter. Depends on the software/equipment of the company, guessing half of the submitted resumes are filtered before a human even sees them. At companies that where they have to manual scan resumes, with today's "employers market" in the interest reducing the amount to scanned, they'll take a stack of resumes and throw out any that do not have a four year degree.
There isn't a strong consensus on the whole "should an objective be included". I personally do not have an objective as my resume is clearly tailored to the specific positions that I am interviewing for so an objective would be a waste of space. If someone uses a cover letter, which is personalized to the actual job and company, then I think the objective isn't as important. If you are just shooting your resumes out randomly (which I advise against), at least have an objective so the company knows what type of position you are seeking.

You are correct when you state that different evaluators would have different feedback. I would just analyze all the feedback you get and use the feedback that feels right to you. If possible, have someone in your actual industry review your resume to ensure it highlights what needs to be highlighted. Also, use industry keywords as resumes are being filtered by computer. I don't recommend a keyword section but actually placing the keywords throughout the resume to demonstrate how you have experience in those areas.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 PM

128 posts, read 403,180 times
The most important thing with any resume is it needs to be marketed to a specific job or career. So having a job objective on the resume is key!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
When you developed the resume you are using right now what process did you use to put it together? Did you write it alone? Did someone else write it for you? Did you get help from an expert at a career center or job service? Did you read books about how to write a resume?

The reason I ask is a friend of mine is looking for professional and he is looking at hundreds of resume and keeps shaking his head in disgust. He even shows me some of the resumes he has received for a good laugh.

Now I am sure your resume is great and incredibly polished and well written but I wonder what the average person puts their resume together.
Firstly I am not concerned about what the average person thinks of my resume, it was written to impress HR in the companies I have applied at.
YES I had help, I have a friend who has worked in HR and recruiting for many years and she does excellent work in this area.
I started my new job on April 12.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
That is awesome. How is your job going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Firstly I am not concerned about what the average person thinks of my resume, it was written to impress HR in the companies I have applied at.
YES I had help, I have a friend who has worked in HR and recruiting for many years and she does excellent work in this area.
I started my new job on April 12.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
The most important thing with any resume is it needs to be marketed to a specific job or career. So having a job objective on the resume is key!
Not always. My resume is extremely strong with approximately 40% return rate for callbacks and I work in a competitive field where the candidate pools are large. Haven't used an objective in years but my resume's content is focused specifically on the experience and skills that employers are looking for. What's the point of having an objective if the content of the resume does not match what the employer is looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search