Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times

Advertisements

I am looking for someone that can help put review my resume specifically for a job in a federal agency. My experiences are extremely unique and diverse and not sure what to include or subtract and how to best present myself for the computerized system. If anyone has a background in HR and is willing to take a look at what I've got it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times
FederalSoup.com

Old 04-21-2010, 06:23 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
In the meantime, you may wish to also check out books by Kathryn Kraemer Troutman, the woman who wrote the computer programs for the federal government, which allow one to apply for jobs online. She walks you through doing just what you've asked, giving many resume examples, a fair amount in the complicated job category.

"Federal Resume Guidebook: Strategies for Writing a Winning Federal Electronic Resume, KSAs and Essays" is from 2005... she's updated the info and given it a new title in her 2009 book. Check Amazon for detailed info and reviews. Her books are also available at the library for free.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
For starters you should download the of612 form and complete that. That is the 'federal resume' form. It isn't really flexible enough to allow you to 'include or subtract' whatever you want.

And then you need to write the KSAs that each job requires. The questions should make it pretty obvious what relevant experience you should tell them about.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The book by Kathyn Troutman is excellent, however I feel that FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE do not understand there is a herculean mismatch between the way MOST non-governmental jobs are done and how MOST governmental work is structured.

The easiest path into a government job is almost always at a pretty low level -- the postings on USA JOBS that require more than 3 years or so of experience will almost always be VERY difficult to fill with some one with out government experience. The extreme focus on a legalistic and regimented process is completely foreign in private sector employment. The higher level government jobs pre-suppose a great deal of familiarity with the "government way" which is generally spelled out in densely written regulations, handbooks, and legal opinions. With many of the most experienced and highest paid government employees nearing employment it may seem that there are many potential opening, however the lack of congruity between someone with many years of private sector experience and an opening that requires many years of being steeped in the "government way" means that the likelihood of landing a well paying position are quite remote.

Sadly even the technical needs of the government are handled in a convoluted way -- with a handful of large tech contractors having a near stranglehold on the master contracts to supply services / people to meet the needs of government agencies.

As in other private sector hiring, the value of person-to-person contact is very useful, but due to concerns that the 'selection process' could be criticized by a non-selected candidated and lead to a legal challenge from a "protected class" the result is more often than not simply finding out quicker that "although you'd be perfect for the job there are internal candidates that make hiring you too risky"...

I hate to say that unless your demographic profile is more inline with what will not allow any protected class to have an angle to file suit having a "perfect fit" type resume is not particularly helpful....

Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
For starters you should download the of612 form and complete that. That is the 'federal resume' form. It isn't really flexible enough to allow you to 'include or subtract' whatever you want.

And then you need to write the KSAs that each job requires. The questions should make it pretty obvious what relevant experience you should tell them about.
The OF-612 isn't really being used anymore. The agencies just want a resume, plus they may ask for additional supporting documents. If they want an OF-612, they'll state it in the job announcement.

I've been applying to be rehired since early last fall, and haven't needed one yet. I built my resume on USA Jobs, Avue Central, plus the Army and Navy websites. I just recently applied for two jobs with the Defense Logisitics Agency, and had to build my resume on their site to apply for the jobs.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:48 PM

See even in this thread people don't really know what the government wants. OF-612 forms no OF-612 forms. Seems like this **** is outdated by the time the tutorial is written.

My background is I have a 4 year degree and then served in the US Peace Corps. I got my Completion of Service on December 22nd and thus have Non-Competitive Eligibility until December 22nd of this year.

I'm just trying to figure out how to make use of it.

The problem with the on site stuff is it doesn't accomdate Peace Corps volunteers very well at all. Or Mac users for that matter which I also am. One job I was trying to apply for clearly stated "List all work and volunteer experience" but then after filling out everything for Peace Corps and trying to save it told me no because the Salary was inaccurate (I put in 0 which is accurate). Not to mention telephone numbers and addresses that are international are almost never supported by those stupid ****in' forms.

I'll have to check out see if my library has the 2009 Troutman book otherwise I'll just glance it over and take notes in the nearest bookstore.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The OF-612 isn't really being used anymore. The agencies just want a resume, plus they may ask for additional supporting documents. If they want an OF-612, they'll state it in the job announcement.

I've been applying to be rehired since early last fall, and haven't needed one yet. I built my resume on USA Jobs, Avue Central, plus the Army and Navy websites. I just recently applied for two jobs with the Defense Logisitics Agency, and had to build my resume on their site to apply for the jobs.

If you're using USAjobs you can upload your own resume as well as the of612, (as well as several others, since they allow 5 resume uploads). Most people outside the federal job system have no idea the of612 exists and thus don't know this is an option or may be required by some agencies.

Of course there are lots of agencies that deviate from this, but I don't think it is wise to tell OP not to have one.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 PM

161 posts, read 489,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If you're using USAjobs you can upload your own resume as well as the of612, (as well as several others, since they allow 5 resume uploads). Most people outside the federal job system have no idea the of612 exists and thus don't know this is an option or may be required by some agencies.

Of course there are lots of agencies that deviate from this, but I don't think it is wise to tell OP not to have one.
That's correct about the uploads. I do tell people to at least start with usajobs.gov. It is up to the federal agency whether they want to use the resume builder on usajobs.gov or not. Some federal agencies do have their own resume builder too and will link you to their website. Some tell you ok to fax your app but not email, or vice versa. Some agencies just want you to mail.

Five years ago, I applied for a job on USAjobs.gov using my resume and OF612 with other pertinent documents and faxed to HR for Dept of Veterans Affairs. No, you don't have to do both, but I did. After nearly 4 months and an interview, I did get the job.

Now, I moved to a new state and applying for federal jobs. The same agency wants an OF612 but others agencies don't.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM

What about Human Eye resumes (formatting and such) do you upload them in addition to a plain text resume or just leave them off entirely for USAJobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search