Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times

Advertisements

Moderator's Edit:

A "foodie" is a person with an interest in food, recipes, cooking, and visiting restaurants as a way of experiencing either new dishes or favorite dishes prepared in new ways. A "Jewish foodie" is a person with a particular interest in food that is culturally prepared and enjoyed by the Jewish people.

In Judaism, food and how it is prepared is as much an aspect of Jewish religion as it is an aspect of Jewish culture. For observant Jews, how and what we eat is dictated by our religion.

I have revived and merged related threads on this subject that appeared on this forum over the years. I hope that this topic becomes an active place for posting your favorite Jewish recipes, reminiscences about Jewish "comfort food," recommendations of Jewish delis, restaurants and markets, questions and answers about Jewish kosher dietary laws, and so on.

Es gezunterheyt! ("Eat in health!")

-- Rachel NewYork

I love shakshuka, and it is good with flatbread.

Shakshuka Recipe

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 12-23-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
My wife makes superb enchiladas. We happen to both be vegetarians, Mrs Flop and I.

I can make a yummy mushroom barley soup.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
I prefer things more simple like matzabrei, kugle and chuent. And for those who don't have local access to Kosher food then it can be ordered from the following link:

http://www.allinkosher.com/

They have the widest variety available on the eastcoast.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM

584 posts, read 598,202 times
Morrocan carrots ...
... and, of course, the symbol of the Kitnyot Liberation Front, quinoa!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
Morrocan carrots ...
... and, of course, the symbol of the Kitnyot Liberation Front, quinoa!

Recipe please they sound wonderful!!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,437 times
I get spoiled; the first Friday night of the month is a pot luck dinner before the service. Tables full of southern and Jewish dishes (all vegetarian and/or dairy)........

My wife makes a lot of soups, stews, and such. She has a matzah ball soups that is out of this world.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:54 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
I have a nice little stash of chicken bones stored away in my freezer, ready to make fresh chicken stock and broth once the weather cools off soon. Then it's time for tons of lentil stews, cholent, and of course matzo ball soup. So much better when you make your own broth and stock!

Lately I've been on a huge zatar kick - I put it in everything. Roast chickpeas tossed with olive oil and zatar is perfection.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM

584 posts, read 598,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Lately I've been on a huge zatar kick - I put it in everything. Roast chickpeas tossed with olive oil and zatar is perfection.
I just had this wonderful flashback of breakfast in the cafeteria of Kibbutz Lotan with fresh labne and zatar.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,734,008 times
Is anyone willing to share their secret for matzoh ball soup? I've read that matzoh balls are best with club soda; it makes them light and fluffy. Is this true? I'm a vegetarian but could adapt any recipe. I have never been brave enough to try to make matzoh since I've had the best matzoh in the world at Shabbat dinners. Unfortunately for me, my small circle of older Jewish grandmothers do not share their recipes with anyone - not even their kids.

Thanks for sharing any tips,

Kim

Old 07-21-2012, 02:22 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Is anyone willing to share their secret for matzoh ball soup? I've read that matzoh balls are best with club soda; it makes them light and fluffy. Is this true? I'm a vegetarian but could adapt any recipe. I have never been brave enough to try to make matzoh since I've had the best matzoh in the world at Shabbat dinners. Unfortunately for me, my small circle of older Jewish grandmothers do not share their recipes with anyone - not even their kids.

Thanks for sharing any tips,

Kim
My secret is homemade stock which I use both as the liquid for my matzo balls and a basis for my broth. I think making your own veggie stock would make a huge difference in flavor too. It helps amp the flavor without adding salt.

The club soda trick does make them fluffier, but I really *do* prefer my matzo balls like cannoballs so I like them heavy (and have been known to add flour to them when I make it around Chanukkah to stiffen them up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism