Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times

Advertisements

Important to isolate specific subjects because it muddies analysis. Example the subject "minim" showed me that people seem to think they own the word "YHWH". It is important to discuss this word because even the Pope has banned it. That is outrageous in the 21st Century. The Bible is more important because it's part of Western Civilization and Culture. The Old Testament is also the First Testament. To be an expert on the First Testament and all its words, one has to accept what one's eyes see. Otherwise little children are modified in their own evolution not to believe their own eyes.

No one's background is important in this 21st century of science. My college education taught me to research everything. The only reason I now discuss the Bible is because when I was 64YO I found out for the first time that "under god" was officially added to the USA Flag Pledge. You can't imagine how shocked I was to find this out. I also realized that my own children were educated this way. At first I would join the "separate church from state" debate. Then when I discovered that President General Eisenhower created an official USA motto "In god we trust", I gave up.

From then on I publicly discussed god. I don't pledge "under god" nor do I trust god. It's simply a generic term without meaning. However, YHWH is very special indeed, politically and spiritually.

I now understand that my entire Jewish life was not based using the Hebrew language on the Bible but on the Siddur. So now I'm practicing Hebrew using the Bible for the first time and publicly in my life. I could have died without this freedom. It's a miracle.

I'm not anywhere near rich or important but I own these documents:
The electronic Sefer Torah which is the main part of The Trope Trainer.
Davka Soncino Talmud which includes TaNaK and Rashi
MEIN KAMPF Jew File which I created.
6007 instances of YHWH File which I created.
HaKoran which makes me equal to RaMBaM
Access on line to the Common English Bible which has 84 books including my psychiatrist 4 Maccabees. I think 83 of these books were written by Jews. This Lingua Franca Bible unites Muslims, Jews, Christians, Atheists. However, there are different ways to use this book and each way is valid and interesting and exciting.

No longer do USA children have to be afraid to use their own eye-brain connection. It should not interfere in being selected for a job in the USA. Even in the Middle East.

In the USA elementary schools they should allow kids to choose between Hebrew and Spanish. I suspect that then all Hispanics will suddenly announce they already know English.

That's what recognizing the true Universal Politician, YHWH does for me. A statistician could support me in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
יהוה is not pronounced or spelled as YHWH by Jews. Jews write Hashem in its place and say Adonia when stated in prayer or read in the Torah.

יי(two yuds) is also not pronounced or spelled as YHWH by Jews. Jews write Hashem in its place and say Adonia when stated in prayer or read in the Torah.

Quote:
TaNaK and Rashi
Rashi does not go with Tanach, it is commentary of it. Rashi comes from the person named RAbbi SHlomo Itzhak.

Quoting the writing of Uri Rubin says volumes on your statements listed. Moderator cut: edit we can easily find the link to where you copy and pasted from in order to Attack on the forum.

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=206921

Last edited by june 7th; 07-19-2012 at 09:26 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
יהוה is not pronounced or spelled as YHWH by Jews. Jews write Hashem in its place and say Adonia when stated in prayer or read in the Torah.

יי(two yuds) is also not pronounced or spelled as YHWH by Jews. Jews write Hashem in its place and say Adonia when stated in prayer or read in the Torah.

Rashi does not go with Tanach, it is commentary of it. Rashi comes from the person named RAbbi SHlomo Itzhak.

Quoting the writing of Uri Rubin says volumes on your statements listed. We are not stupid here as we can easily find the link to where you copy and pasted from in order to Attack on the forum.

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=206921
I see that your profile is only available to friends. You obviously don't KNOW tha RaMBaM was a master of the Quran. He could translat it into Hebrew in his brain. Dr. Rubin should be encouraged to register his HaKoran with the US Library of Congress. The Saudis in 2007 promised to translate the Koran into Hebrew and then reneged. I don't care about what comments Dr. Uri provides, I can't read Hebrew that well. I just trust his Hebrew translation of the Quran so I can understand the Koran myself. Just like I do with the Common English Bible.

I don't care what commentary the Common English Bible provides, I just wanted for years a single Bible that unites all Catholics and Protestants with the same exact books. I wanted one that included 4 Maccabees. I wanted one that translated into English exactly like I do from the Hebrew. I trust because of all this in the Common English Bible that the Koine Greek Books (Septuagint) are translated the way I would if I could read Koine Greek. The only wish I have for the Common English Bible is that they would use the forensic, scientific anglo transliteration YHWH instead of "the Lord". I think of the House of Commons when I see "the Lord". It's like "m'lord" to me. YHWH will never be defined except in the experience of life of each individual who can read the First Testament Original Testament in Hebrew.

FYI, I was part of a coed group at Temple Emanu-El, Dallas, reading Talmud. Mostly professionals. It was impressive. We each had our own Talmud. A Reform Synagogue, lots resented the fact that they were teaching their kids Hebrew. Especially those my age. It was a lot of tables merged in a rectangle. The Rabbi explained that he only had one year of Talmud so he was learning along with us. Seated across from me was a male who read the Hebrew. He did it in the droning normal style. Standing up over his shoulder was a younger man, maybe a lawyer or judge, who repeated the passages with a vernacular manner. It was a miraculous education. The young male standing up speaking the same Hebrew with modern conversational inflection was so much fun. It made Talmud a real blog, which it is. He would then interject "That's what we're saying today."

Do you think quoting Sura 3:3 in Hebrew is quoting Dr. Uri Rubin and not the Quran? I wish RaMBaM were alive today to confront you.

Moderator cut: Off topic to the OP.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-19-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
You obviously don't KNOW tha RaMBaM was a master of the Quran
Only five centuries off. since he was born in 1135.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maimonides

Quote:
Maimonides never recovered from the traumatic arrival of the Almohads. A portion of this is reflected in the personal animosity Maimonides harbored toward Islam and the Quran.

http://www.jewishhistory.org/maimonides/

Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
[quote=NeilVA;25237952]

Moderator cut: Off topic but would be good for another thread.

And back to the OT, what is the "W" in Y-HWH? I've seen it written as yud-hey-vav-hey before, but the "w" puzzles me?

Last edited by june 7th; 07-19-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
And back to the OT, what is the "W" in Y-HWH? I've seen it written as yud-hey-vav-hey before, but the "w" puzzles me?
A vav is silent. The original translator centuries ago didn't like that. So they gave it a letter that would make a sound. The vav will only translate to ohh (as in oy) or to uhh (as in look) when paired with the letter before it and use that letters sound when stated. So could see them try to pronounce YHUH or YHOH?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
A vav is silent. The original translator centuries ago didn't like that. So they gave it a letter that would make a sound. The vav will only translate to ohh (as in oy) or to uhh (as in look) when paired with the letter before it and use that letters sound when stated. So could see them try to pronounce YHUH or YHOH?
Thanks, Neil. I've never met a Jew (and I've belonged to reform, conservative and orthodox shuls in my life) who writes hashem's name that way, In fact, it's only in the missionary-infested waters of the C-D and other similar websites where I've seen a "Jew" write this way. Nu? Perhaps a little deception going on here, me thinks?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Nu?
Not even the Messianic Jews do this.

Quote:
Perhaps a little deception going on here, me thinks?
Follow the link in #2

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Default The Pope Doesn't Like It Too

CNS STORY: No 'Yahweh' in songs, prayers at Catholic Masses, Vatican rules
"WASHINGTON (CNS) -- In the not-too-distant future, songs such as "You Are Near," "I Will Bless Yahweh" and "Rise, O Yahweh" will no longer be part of the Catholic worship experience in the United States. "
=====
However my Bible does not belong only to the Pope. My paid for by me Education doesn't either. One thing that I learned after getting my BA '50 GWU Latin-American Culture and Civilization is that I don't have to get an "A" on anything I think in writing. So I don't have to agree with the wealthier majority. While I was in school, I had to agree with the politics of my professors.

Encyclopedias in the Lingua Franca recognize YHWH as the Tetragrammaton in the Lingua Franca. They also recognize different vowels added. It's the additions that make for spirited discussion. ADWNY doesn't look anything like the actual YHWH transliteration does it?

TaNaKh may be religion to some but not to all. TaNaKh is actually a historical document important in real estate in Western Civilization. Important to all nations, especially when bullets are concerned.. The Hebrew of TaNaKh are pretty well set for centuries. The Hebrew of TaNaKh belong to TaNaKh. My eyes transliterate yod-hey-waw-hey as YHWH. ADWNY means Lord, Master, Mr.

Besides being Jewish doesn't mean one is religious. Josephus explained it this way around 70CE. I like his labeling of the political arena around Israel at that time. Antony, Cleopatra, Arab and Jew. That's the kind of Jew I am even in this 21st Century.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
ADWNY means Lord, Master, Mr.
Just another person who finds words and wants others to think that they are related to Hebrew. It may sound like the proper word for addressing g-d but its not. It is Enochian which is currently attached to The Order of the Golden Dawn. Moderator cut: edit
http://goldendawncollegium.com/?gclid=CKrVpOXAprECFc2A7Qodo08A5A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian_magic
http://www.myspace.com/konxamrejs/photos/17189899#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A17182594%7D

Last edited by june 7th; 07-19-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism