Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

I mean isn't it the one of the oddest halacha there is?

The traditional halacha on cheese made with animal rennet, is that the rennet must be from a kosher slaughtered animal, or it renders the cheese traif. But the contact of a the rennet itself with the milk does NOT render the cheese treif, because its a new substance, not meat.

I follow the position of R' Klein (conservative) that rennet is dvar chadash (a new substance), and cheese (almost always) is kosher, and we don't need to worry about the rennet.

My D has chosen to follow her own personal (AFAICT) chumrah, and has decided not to eat any cheese she knows to be made with animal rennet, whether heckshered or not.

Its difficult for me to defend the standard O position (in order to encourage her to be more mkulah) since I am not Orthodox.

The closest parallel I could come up with is eggs - which come from an animal but are pareve. But of course with eggs we assume the chicken was alive when the egg was laid, and so do not care how it may have later been slaughtered (well we may care, but it does not impact the kashrut of the egg)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Umm what about gevinat akum? How would you know whether there was an observant Jewish person involved in the cheese making process?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times
Default "Cheeses" Is Why I Learned Hebrew

Mom who was educated in East Bronx until she came to 7th&Pennsylvania Ave S.E., D.C. and decided not to stay in school made me go to Hebrew School although she didn't believe in her own Orthodox Education. Her father was a charter member of the South East Hebrew Congregation. The reason was really "Cheeses". I have a Cheeses Tee to keep the memory alive

I was turning 7 in July. That summer she said "I met Mrs. ??? on 8th Street who was complaining they were teaching the kids Christianity in public school." Mom: "What Christianity?". The woman sang the right words to my favorite song "Cheese and saucebee, this I know. For the Bible tells me so. Yes, Cheese and Saucebee, Yes, Cheese and Saucebee, Yes Chees and Saucebee, For the Bible tells me so." That's how I found out what I should have been correctly singing. I got educated muyself instantly in careful listening myself.

She said "You are going to Hebrew School". When I went she said "Don't bring any of that stuff into the house". So I educated myself in Judeo Culture and Civilization without any parental guidance at all.

In the second grade I listened to a terrifying song in the second grade: Onward Christian Soldiers.
Right on Capitol Hill USA which was legally Anti-Black and Anti-Christian before the Holocaust was found out.

My mom wouldn't even let me show her a Bible until she was 65YO. I had just discovered Sirach 25/26 about how Jews thought of women. I was a major in Latin-American Culture and Civilization and it was DIOS HABLA HOY and the English version GOOD NEWS BIBLE. She said when she started reading the verses "You can get me that Bible" and I did.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times
Default Correction to my Cheeses Words

Somehow my brain refreshed what I posted and it doesn't make as much sense. The words to my first grade song at Van Ness Elementary School (morning exercises) in S.E. D.C.
Cheese and Saucebee this I know for the Barber tells me so. My Uncle Frank Kirsch was a Barber in Foggy Bottom right around 20th&Pennsylvania Ave N.W. His wife was my mom's oldest sister and practically raised all the children while her mom kept a kosher house. Now you know that I never heard the words "god" or "bible" in my home . Pretty consistent life. I might add that we were on welfare and for people to get a Hebrew education is pretty rare. You have to be economically endowed to get a Hebrew education back then before WW2. Even afterward from what I've heard from others. Now with the DVD's I've mentioned, everyone can be equal. Even Christian can get a Judeo education at home. The power of having a Jewish Nation in the UN. No age limits, no dollar limits any more. Genderless.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Umm what about gevinat akum? How would you know whether there was an observant Jewish person involved in the cheese making process?

I follow C, which is lenient on Gevinat Akum. My more machmir D finds no compelling rationale for the traditional rule on Gevinat Akum (I mean they might use non cow milk, on cheese certified by govt to be from cow milk?), and so ignores it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism