Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 23,677 times

Advertisements

I am a Christian but we observe some (but not all of course) of what is observed in Judaism.

My question about mixed fabrics usually involves trivial items such as workout clothes and socks and not suits, dress shirts, etc.

For example, we have instructions in our literature to avoid socks which are made of a certain material and have a synthetic material like nylon as reinforcement in the toe and heel.

Could someone give general instructions concerning this topic and where or what brand to buy for workout clothing that are in line with the Scriptures?

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
I would honestly refer back to the literature you were given, and ask the head of your church what they expect. It's the best way.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
I second what 1 + 1 = 5 says. After all, since Christians believe that the J-man fulfilled the Law of Moses which Christians think is supposedly impossible to keep, why observe all of these commandments if the J-man's grace rendered doing Old Testament commandments unncessary?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I second what 1 + 1 = 5 says. After all, since Christians believe that the J-man fulfilled the Law of Moses which Christians think is supposedly impossible to keep, why observe all of these commandments if the J-man's grace rendered doing Old Testament commandments unncessary?
We don't believe/teach what mainstream Christianity teaches. We keep the 7th Day Sabbath and Holy Days listed in Leviticus 23, the same days that Christ and the early apostles kept.

We keep the Ten Commandments and statutes and judgments that magnify the Ten Commandments. But our emphasis is on the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law.

King David had God's Holy Spirit (Psalm 51) and we believe one needs to receive and be led by the Holy Spirit to be able to keep the Spiritual Law of God.

I would like to comply with God's instruction to not wear mixed fabrics in the letter as well as keep the spiritual intent of the instruction.

If you know of a company/organization that can identify where to purchase proper clothing with no mixed fabrics, please let me know. I have to take on faith now when someone puts a tag on something and says it is 100% Cotton.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Again, to parrot 1+1=5, this is something you should direct to the leadership of your church.

As far we go, we tend to rely on our rabbis to assist us in determining what does or does not meet the standards of Jewish law.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianisraelite View Post

If you know of a company/organization that can identify where to purchase proper clothing with no mixed fabrics, please let me know. I have to take on faith now when someone puts a tag on something and says it is 100% Cotton.
This is a more manageable question (i.e., where to buy the clothing). Hopefully someone might be able to help with this.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I second what 1 + 1 = 5 says.
I really like this, Usario and JB.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I would honestly refer back to the literature you were given, and ask the head of your church what they expect. It's the best way.
The literature I am receiving the information from is at least 50 years old.

The organization that produced it no longer exists.

The people who once belonged to that organization have come out and formed new church organizations and in the process changed the doctrines they once believed and taught.

Currently, I do not belong to a physical organization/church.

I am not looking for doctrine. I am looking for a way to purchase proper clothing that is in agreement with God's instruction.

I do not wish to discuss my doctrinal beliefs. That would be seen as arrogance by many I am sure. I am just a guest on your forum. This is your forum, not mine.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM

I see now; thanks for the clarification.

I hope you get an answer. My workout clothes are cotton, but I have no idea if there are fibers in there that make it prohibited.

I also think we should dress for modesty; I have a few great websites for modest clothing, especially for women, but none include workout clothes such as socks. Perhaps others will weigh in and give you some suggestions on this, though.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I see now; thanks for the clarification.

I hope you get an answer. My workout clothes are cotton, but I have no idea if there are fibers in there that make it prohibited.

I also think we should dress for modesty; I have a few great websites for modest clothing, especially for women, but none include workout clothes such as socks. Perhaps others will weigh in and give you some suggestions on this, though.
Thank you and I agree wholeheartedly with your statement about modesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism