Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM

181 posts, read 217,902 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a list of the various beliefs, attitudes, statements that have been used to target Jews for conversion, and how the Jewish experts can critique these assertions in order to counter the proselytic efforts.

I am nonreligious/unaffiliated, but I find myself vulnerable to these anti-Jewish beliefs, however unconscious. One time, I was walking along the college campus, and some Christian students were displaying two tables. One table had a sign labelled "Religion", and the other table had a sign labelled "Jesus". At the "Religion" table, the purpose was to persuade students that "religion is something that makes you do over and over again. It is filled with meaningless, laborious rituals with no promise of salvation." At the "Jesus" table, the purpose was to persuade students that "Jesus comes and saves" and then offers confectionery treats. I'm sure the students did NOT really mean to be deceitful or harmful; they're only expressing what they believe in. It's a public university, and there's freedom of speech and religion. However, that picture created a powerful impression in my nonreligious mind, thereby creating a prejudiced view of both Catholics and Jews. In any case, I am wondering if Jewish student groups have done a similar sort of activity, in which it would give Jews the upper hand and balance out the viewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
American colleges are notorious hotbeds for religious intolerance and anti semitism. I will not send my children to college.

Carry on...

Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
I am looking for a list of the various beliefs, attitudes, statements that have been used to target Jews for conversion, and how the Jewish experts can critique these assertions in order to counter the proselytic efforts.

I am nonreligious/unaffiliated, but I find myself vulnerable to these anti-Jewish beliefs, however unconscious. One time, I was walking along the college campus, and some Christian students were displaying two tables. One table had a sign labelled "Religion", and the other table had a sign labelled "Jesus". At the "Religion" table, the purpose was to persuade students that "religion is something that makes you do over and over again. It is filled with meaningless, laborious rituals with no promise of salvation." At the "Jesus" table, the purpose was to persuade students that "Jesus comes and saves" and then offers confectionery treats. I'm sure the students did NOT really mean to be deceitful or harmful; they're only expressing what they believe in. It's a public university, and there's freedom of speech and religion. However, that picture created a powerful impression in my nonreligious mind, thereby creating a prejudiced view of both Catholics and Jews. In any case, I am wondering if Jewish student groups have done a similar sort of activity, in which it would give Jews the upper hand and balance out the viewpoints.
I can not speak for any Jews as I am not Jewish. But in my nearly 3/4 of a century walking this earth I never had a Jew attempt to convert me to Judaism. Not even Jewish relatives that I have.

From what I understand it is very difficult for a non-Jew to convert and people are discouraged from doing so. One of the first things an enquirer will be told, there is no reason to convert as a non-Jew can reach heaven much easier as a non-Jew.

Jews do not demean their beliefs by seeking converts.

I am certain any member here will correct me if I am in error.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
American colleges are notorious hotbeds for religious intolerance and anti semitism. I will not send my children to college.

Carry on...
On the contrary, I know a couple of Reform Jewish classmates and a professor. You can tell they are Reform Jewish, because they go to the "Temple".

Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:

The closest thing we have is Chabad or Jews for Judaism, but both groups only work within Judaism. Jews for Judaism works to keep Jews Jewish while Chabad works towards helping us become more Torah observant.

But these are not proselytizing groups, and we don't try to "get the upper hand" over people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I can not speak for any Jews as I am not Jewish. But in my nearly 3/4 of a century walking this earth I never had a Jew attempt to convert me to Judaism. Not even Jewish relatives that I have.

From what I understand it is very difficult for a non-Jew to convert and people are discouraged from doing so. One of the first things an enquirer will be told, there is no reason to convert as a non-Jew can reach heaven much easier as a non-Jew.

Jews do not demean their beliefs by seeking converts.

I am certain any member here will correct me if I am in error.
No error there.

The rabbi I converted under "forgot" about our first three meetings, and we discussed the difficulties I would face, both while converting and after I became a Jew, many times. We discussed it again at the beit din during the final steps of my conversion.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
But these are not proselytizing groups, and we don't try to "get the upper hand" over people.
I think that atheists-who-are-raised-as-Christians carry a similar attitude in regards to religion, particularly militant ones. Instead of saying that Christianity is the Truth, these types of atheists may declare that Atheism is more rational or truthful or whatever gives them the upper hand. In a way, it's a sort of atheistic proselytism.

Quote:
No error there.

The rabbi I converted under "forgot" about our first three meetings, and we discussed the difficulties I would face, both while converting and after I became a Jew, many times. We discussed it again at the beit din during the final steps of my conversion.
What were you before you became a Jew?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I think that atheists-who-are-raised-as-Christians carry a similar attitude in regards to religion, particularly militant ones. Instead of saying that Christianity is the Truth, these types of atheists may declare that Atheism is more rational or truthful or whatever gives them the upper hand. In a way, it's a sort of atheistic proselytism.
That makes no sense in response to what I said. I said they're not doing that.

Quote:
What were you before you became a Jew?
I was a Christian.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I was a Christian.
Your profile says you're male. In Christian families, boys are circumcised for religious (particularly if you are part of the Coptic Orthodox branch) or health reasons. How did you get circumcised again? Can you get circumcised a second time?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Can you get circumcised a second time?
You go through a "mock" circumcision where a drop of blood is taken from the scar of the origional circumcision to fulfill the ritual requirement. It is called a hatafat dam brit.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:17 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
As people have said before, there are many counter-missionary Jewish groups, primarily run by Orthodox-affiliated associations, such as Jews for Judaism. Here's an example: Judaism Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism