Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 12:57 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yiddish is a nearly dead language. It is no longer part of the general Jewish public. Once the last Jewish remnants of post WW2 Europe die off it will be a language of the Orthodox Jews only who believe Hebrew should not be used conversationally. We are not Yiddish. Yiddish is now used to separate Jews from each other rather to bring them together. Once Yiddish is wholly used by the Orthodox, then your 1000 years of history will be wiped out as they do not read secular Yiddish literature or watch secular Yiddish theater. The part of the current Jewish population that use it in some fashion is very small percentage.

As to DNA, 98% of my DNA is from the Levant.
What's the other 2%?...

Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 PM

170 posts, read 106,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
This makes no sense. Jews ARE Palestineans. Are you referring to Arabs who live in Israel (previously called Palestine)?
I'm referring to the fact that over the 1000+ years that Ashkenazi Jews have lived and traveled through Europe, there have been many generations of intermarriage with Europeans. Few if any Ashkenazi Jews today are 100% Palestinian blood.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Yiddish is a nearly dead language. It is no longer part of the general Jewish public. Once the last Jewish remnants of post WW2 Europe die off it will be a language of the Orthodox Jews only who believe Hebrew should not be used conversationally. We are not Yiddish. Yiddish is now used to separate Jews from each other rather to bring them together. Once Yiddish is wholly used by the Orthodox, then your 1000 years of history will be wiped out as they do not read secular Yiddish literature or watch secular Yiddish theater. The part of the current Jewish population that use it in some fashion is very small percentage.

As to DNA, 98% of my DNA is from the Levant.
Yiddish is very commonly used among Ashkenazi Jews. You might be Mizrahi, which would explain why you don't use it. But, in Ashkenazi families like mine, it is very frequently used. My parents are from Russia, so we use it a little more often than most American Jewish families do (We have full length conversations in Yiddish). But, American families tend to use words here and there and shprech a few sentences.

The Jewish religion would be a dying culture had it not been so heavily installed in synagogues and families and Israel. In the early 1900's, the Russian government recommended that Jewish communities use Yiddish as their main language. Within 10 years, there were over 3 million native Yiddish speakers in early Soviet Russia. If Israel and the Jewish council of the U.S were to suddenly do the same with Yiddish, then it would be used just as frequently as that innecessity of religion is used today.

All that is needed is a government push.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:42 PM

22,139 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D231 View Post
...In the early 1900's, the Russian government recommended that Jewish communities use Yiddish as their main language. Within 10 years, there were over 3 million native Yiddish speakers in early Soviet Russia. ....
this is fascinating. i did not know this.
thank you for this information.
What part of Russia is your family from?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
If Israel and the Jewish council of the U.S were to suddenly do the same with Yiddish, then it would be used just as frequently as that innecessity of religion is used today.

Typing while toking is a mistake.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Yiddish is very commonly used among Ashkenazi Jews. You might be Mizrahi, which would explain why you don't use it. But, in Ashkenazi families like mine, it is very frequently used. My parents are from Russia, so we use it a little more often than most American Jewish families do (We have full length conversations in Yiddish). But, American families tend to use words here and there and shprech a few sentences.

The Jewish religion would be a dying culture had it not been so heavily installed in synagogues and families and Israel. In the early 1900's, the Russian government recommended that Jewish communities use Yiddish as their main language. Within 10 years, there were over 3 million native Yiddish speakers in early Soviet Russia. If Israel and the Jewish council of the U.S were to suddenly do the same with Yiddish, then it would be used just as frequently as that innecessity of religion is used today.

First, you haven't been here long enough to assume anything about any of us. Being of Mizrahi lineage does not equate to not speaking Yiddish. So before the community corrects you, I'm a former Hasid whose base languages were pretty much in the following order Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish, English. The generation born after the Shoah (Americans coined them as second generation Jews or also part of boomer generation) were pretty much the last generation to learn Yiddish at home (from Atheist to Orthodox). That generation is currently between 50 & 70 give a take a year. The third generation that still actually converses in Yiddish are primarily are Charedim (umbrella name for Chasidim, Yeshivish and any other variety of strict Orthodox) and to some extent Datim ( Modern Orthodox). Outside of them the language is pretty much dead. Being able to state a few few broken memorized sentences and words does not equate to being fluent in Yiddish. Thus I'm fluent in the older Yiddish language and have to listen closer to the Yeshivish language which from my point of view is slang.

What was done in the early 1900's in Russia pretty much ended with Stalin. Post Shoah Israel was primarily Mizrahi and Sephardi. Hebrew (and Ladino) was more common to them than Yiddish.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
this is fascinating. i did not know this.
thank you for this information.
What part of Russia is your family from?
Mein mishpucha iz fun Rusland und Ukrayineh. lol

My family is from Russia and Ukraine. More specifically, my mom is from Leningrad and my dad is from a shtetl outside of Kiev.

It's true, early Soviet Russia did in fact try to establish Yiddish within the Jewish community. At first within shtetls, and then they established a Jewish Autonomous Oblast in far eastern Russia near the Chinese border. Birobidzhan it's called. Even today, Yiddish is still commonly spoken and taught.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Typing while toking is a mistake.
What about typing while thinking?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
What about typing while thinking?
Wasn't happening when you typed what I quoted.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
First, you haven't been here long enough to assume anything about any of us. Being of Mizrahi lineage does not equate to not speaking Yiddish. So before the community corrects you, I'm a former Hasid whose base languages were pretty much in the following order Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish, English. The generation born after the Shoah (Americans coined them as second generation Jews or also part of boomer generation) were pretty much the last generation to learn Yiddish at home (from Atheist to Orthodox). That generation is currently between 50 & 70 give a take a year. The third generation that still actually converses in Yiddish are primarily are Charedim (umbrella name for Chasidim, Yeshivish and any other variety of strict Orthodox) and to some extent Datim ( Modern Orthodox). Outside of them the language is pretty much dead. Being able to state a few few broken memorized sentences and words does not equate to being fluent in Yiddish. Thus I'm fluent in the older Yiddish language and have to listen closer to the Yeshivish language which from my point of view is slang.

What was done in the early 1900's in Russia pretty much ended with Stalin. Post Shoah Israel was primarily Mizrahi and Sephardi. Hebrew (and Ladino) was more common to them than Yiddish.
Well, here in the U.S you won't find too many Jews who aren't Ashkenazi or of mostly Ashkenazi lineage. In Israel I know that there is a much higher population of Arabic and Hispanic Jews. But here in the U.S where the Jewish community is commonly of last names such as Goldman, Feldman, Lieberman etc, Yiddish and Yiddish culture one way or another are what bring us together.

You may not speak Yiddish, but eat Yiddish food. Kichelech, Matzo Ball Soup, and Kasha Varnishkes are Yiddish food, you know?

Like I've said before, we should stop teaching religion and start teaching actual culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism