Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM

10 posts, read 7,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I assume you cannot deny that rockets have been fired into Israel from the Gaza Strip, which is controlled by Hamas.

Simple question - How should Israel deal with these rockets?

In my opinion, Israel's actions have been very reasonable. They have used missiles and bombs to attack the leaders of Hamas and the sites where the rockets are being fired. I assume they will keep doing this until the rocket attacks stop.

The moral in all of this: If you don't like the way Israel responds to attacks, then don't attack Israel.
But it is very clear that the population of Gaza is not involved in the creation and use of these rockets, in fact, many of the strongest anti-Palestinian positions even agree with this, that worst, it is a group of suppressed people brainwashed by Hamas. But lets take a look at the typical perspective for a moment, and I'm going to use an analogy:
A Neighbor down the street is a little crazy and hates you for a reason people can't quite understand. He shots from some old rifle at your house every once and a while. He can't aim at that distance, but for every thousand shots he takes, he hits and kills someone who lives in your house (for the sake of the example, a lot of people live in both houses). In response, you amass a group of men to go into his house, and kill anyone in your way as you move through the house to get this man, avoiding anything that would look like an obvious massacre. The net effect? Of the 100 people you kill, a large majority are people in the way and they are innocent, often because they are afraid to leave (because the safe areas are not off limits to your militia) or because they have been forced at gun point by the man with the rifle, or (to a lesser extent) in hopes of protecting their property because the militia will destroy anything in the same room as the rifle man.
If this sounds exaggerated to you, then you obviously have not looked any of this up. You have watched and read Israeli or American news almost exclusively, and if you venture beyond that, you select only from authors that already support your position. You are being brainwashed. I'm sorry I am the one that has to tell you this, but literally look at any other news source. The whole world is not anti-Semitic. This is getting ridiculous now, stop arguing your points without looking at my position. I have already asked multiple times for everyone to watch a well written lecture on the topic. This conversation is a joke, and I refuse to keep talking if you are going to play this game of "I know more than you even though I haven't even taken the time to review you position from a less biased perspective". It's not that hard! I read about 30 minutes of Israeli news a day, and about the same for American news. I know your position. You on the other hand are obviously clueless of mine.

Last edited by out_caste; 08-27-2014 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Grammar and I added a small part to the analogy for the sake of clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM

They bombed MULTIPLE shelters. UN shelter. Just because they are not 100% indiscriminate does not mean they are not indiscriminate. Like I said, look up the controversial strikes. The children on the beach and the UN shelter bombings. It will take no more than 30 minutes to read up on one strike, even from both perspectives. Stop choosing to be willfully ignorant. You can be so much more informed on this, just read different perspectives.

Doesn't that make sense? Even if they are wrong, it is worth reading!

Why do all of you choose to be uninformed? I've read some post on the "Politics and Other Controversies" section of the board; you guys are so much smarter than this. So much. If only you understood the benefit of perspective.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,902,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out_caste;36257589[INDENT
If a Neighbor down the street was a little crazy and hated you for a reason people can't quite understand. He shots from some old rifle at your house every once and a while. He can't aim at that distance, but for every thousand shots he takes, he hits and kills someone who lives in your house (for the sake of the example, a lot of people live in both houses). In response, you amass a group of men to go into his house, and kill anyone in your way as you move through the house to get this man. The net effect? Of the 100 people you kill, a large majority are people in the way, and they are innocent, often because they are afraid to leave (because the safe areas are not off limits to your militia) or because they have been forced at gun point by the man with the rifle, or (to a lesser extent) in hopes of protecting their property because the militia will destroy anything in the same room as the rifle man.
[/indent]
Your analogy is very good. It describes how America deals with people who cause us a problem.

For example, on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese attacked us at Pearl Harbor and killed several thousand Americans. When we got a chance, we firebombed Tokyo and nuked a couple of their cities, killing millions of Japanese. As a result, Japan has not attacked us again.

By the way, you did not address my question:

How should Israel deal with the rockets being fired by Hamas?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:29 AM

I think I am going to leave it at this for now.

Thank you for all the posts. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I really do appreciate your replies even though I disagree with many of the points in them; it is good to understand other perspectives, even of those you disagree with. Even though we have not reached a mutual understanding of each other, I think as a first step this went rather well.

If you'd like to learn more about my perspective (and I hope you want to), I encourage you to view the lecture I posted earlier by the Israeli Miko Peled. It does an excellent job of explaining the Palestinian perspective.

Feel free to leave a last word, I will be checking this forum from time to time and will read it but I probably will just join in other threads rather than continue this one. I feel I have said my major points, and there is not much left to say without repeating myself.

You can can also private message me if you wish.

Anyway, have a good day and stay safe

Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,902,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out_caste View Post
I think I am going to leave it at this for now.
Aww, you ran off before answering my question

Quote:
How should Israel deal with the rockets being fired by Hamas?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM

388 posts, read 385,746 times
Yeah, Pro-Palies always run away before answering the tough questions.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:18 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,374,687 times
Quote:
Aww, you ran off before answering my question
Hiker, in every board I participate in, they refuse to answer this question. I've never received a response - ever.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 PM

265 posts, read 598,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out_caste View Post
I'm going to use an analogy:
A Neighbor down the street is a little crazy and hates you for a reason people can't quite understand. He shots from some old rifle at your house every once and a while. He can't aim at that distance, but for every thousand shots he takes, he hits and kills someone who lives in your house (for the sake of the example, a lot of people live in both houses). In response, you amass a group of men to go into his house, and kill anyone in your way as you move through the house to get this man, avoiding anything that would look like an obvious massacre. The net effect? Of the 100 people you kill, a large majority are people in the way and they are innocent, often because they are afraid to leave (because the safe areas are not off limits to your militia) or because they have been forced at gun point by the man with the rifle, or (to a lesser extent) in hopes of protecting their property because the militia will destroy anything in the same room as the rifle man.
Let's add a few items to your analogy:

1/ Others around this pesky neighbor who shoots his old rifle give him money to improve his house, and he uses this money to buy more bullets instead of installing new windows or feeding his kids.

2/ This pesky neighbor doesn't come to the door when the doorbell rings, he hides behind the stuffed animals in his infant's room. He then opens the window and shoots some more. You warn him to get away from his sleeping child so he is not harmed. The pesky neighbor ignores the request and stays in the room.

3/ You try talking to the pesky neighbor, but he responds by calling neighbors, telling them he will settle for nothing less than the death of you and your family.

4/ When not shooting at your house, the pesky neighbor gathers his kids and tells them what an SOB you are, and that they should never talk to you. In fact, he tells his kids that they will be blessed by God if they kill you, your wife or one of your children.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:52 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,670,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.mensch View Post
Let's add a few items to your analogy:

1/ Others around this pesky neighbor who shoots his old rifle give him money to improve his house, and he uses this money to buy more bullets instead of installing new windows or feeding his kids.

2/ This pesky neighbor doesn't come to the door when the doorbell rings, he hides behind the stuffed animals in his infant's room. He then opens the window and shoots some more. You warn him to get away from his sleeping child so he is not harmed. The pesky neighbor ignores the request and stays in the room.

3/ You try talking to the pesky neighbor, but he responds by calling neighbors, telling them he will settle for nothing less than the death of you and your family.

4/ When not shooting at your house, the pesky neighbor gathers his kids and tells them what an SOB you are, and that they should never talk to you. In fact, he tells his kids that they will be blessed by God if they kill you, your wife or one of your children.
Seems about right.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,966 times
“We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children. We will only have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.”
― Golda Meir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism