Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 03:14 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Hmm...I think ethnicity covers 'race'.

I understand why my identifying with being a 'human' is attractive to me. it removes any confusion.

Thanks for your answers.
Ethnicity can be based on race, but isn't required to be so.

An ethnic group can also be based on heritage, ancestry, shared origins, language, ideology, religion, language, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:12 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
According to the U.S. government, Hispanics are racially "Caucasian" and ethnically "Hispanic." These terms are definitely not one and the same.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:11 AM

467 posts, read 352,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
According to the U.S. government, Hispanics are racially "Caucasian" and ethnically "Hispanic." These terms are definitely not one and the same.
Quoting the U.S. government as an authority on English does not add to the credibility of a claim.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,303 times
Thank you for the responses folks. Shalom!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:00 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Quoting the U.S. government as an authority on English does not add to the credibility of a claim.
lol.

We are all human beings and that is a race thing.

The Human Race.

Ethnicity is secondary and has consistently proven to being a stumbling block toward tolerance and understanding and equality and unity. There is no reason why one cannot celebrate culture. It is when personal bias insists itself better than other cultures that the stumbling begins.

One People - Many Peoples.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
not Mexicans...

Old 07-05-2015, 02:22 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I was curious as to if religious adherence affects one's ability to remain a "Jew"?

I think it is every thing, almost everything.

Maybe a Jew remains a Jew if he becomes a Christian who calls the Torah a strange thing, but by non adherence, he marries a Gentiles and it becomes the end of him. From the moment he calls the Torah a strange thing, it is the beginning of the end.{I THINK/JUST MAYBE}

I think following God and being his people don't have much to do with blood, except that in the end, God will come to Jews first, and they will be exalted JUST because of blood, that is, if they are still Jews, a particular people who are persecuted BECAUSE of their adherence in following the commandments of God.

I don't think God ever exalted anyone just because of blood, but that they became a peculiar people and what made them different than gentiles is their adherence, so what happens to a Jew if he refuses everything that is called of God or that is worshipped?

Then you take a gentile who wasn't even given the law, and the gentile loves the Torah and strives to keep the commandments of God.

Then if God treats the Jew better just because of blood, it wouldn't seem justified.

Just my opinions, trying to figure out if there is anyone else in this forum but me. LOL.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I think it is every thing, almost everything.
Nope. Vis-a-vis being a Jew, it is nothing. If you're born a Jew, you're a Jew. If you convert according to the rules, you're a Jew. If one of the above subsequently takes out an ad in the New York Times renouncing any affiliation with the Jewish people and denouncing the Jewish religion, she/he/it is a nutcase Jew who took out an ad in the New York Times.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:42 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Nope. Vis-a-vis being a Jew, it is nothing. If you're born a Jew, you're a Jew. IF you convert according to the rules, you're a Jew.

''IF you convert according to the rules?''

That's what I mean. If conversion makes one a Jew, then it is about what you practice. Born a Jew is a Jew, but like I said, if he continues and then marries a gentile, calls the Torah a strange thing, wouldn't it be the beginning of the end of him?

His family aint gonna stay Jewish are they?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
''IF you convert according to the rules?''

That's what I mean. If conversion makes one a Jew, then it is about what you practice. Born a Jew is a Jew, but like I said, if he continues and then marries a gentile, calls the Torah a strange thing, wouldn't it be the beginning of the end of him?

His family aint gonna stay Jewish are they?
Quite true. Actually, if his wife wasn't Jewish, there's no staying Jewish; the wife and children are non-Jewish to start. But he's still Jewish. Except, as you correctly point out, it doesn't count for much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism