Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 11:45 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times

Advertisements

I get obsessed about a particular idea when studying the Bible, Just as if an angel has taken a needle and planted a thought or idea in my head, and then it begins. I begin obsessing to find everything written about a subject until I can sit back and just think about it.

My days and nights and even my dreams are about pearls, and the more I study pearls, the more interesting it becomes and then I laugh and consider that a thought planted in my head to be obsessed about might just be a pearl when I have finished searching it. I think of a woman with a necklace of pearls where each one represents an idea that a person struggles long and hard to understand.

But I have only begun to study pearls and I thought maybe somebody MUST have some wise things to say about Pearls from Rashi or somebody, I mean, being that so much symbolism can be derived when looking at biblical poetry.

Isn't the whole world like an oyster that God has taken and planted an irritant to the rest of the world? I think about how the number of Israel is compared to the grains of sands, and how a needle is taken to jab an oyster with a single grain of sand and the mother of pearl sends everything against that grain, and through the suffering, the sand becomes a pearl, but at what cost?

I think of an idea being planted in a person's head the same way, that maybe I could say something and plant an idea in somebody else's head, and they can't shake it off after they have heard it, so they push it around here and there and study and struggle until a single thought has become a whole concept, like a pearl in a crown of pearls around a woman's head.

But looking at God planting his people in the midst of the world, and watching the world come against them all these years pretty much looks like a Pearl being created and formed.

Looking for Jewish thought, maybe some opinions from the Talmud I never saw.

Anyone?

Beuler?

Beuler?

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 07-04-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 12:14 PM

If an idea is like a grain of sand then I would give an example of Isaiah 66. I have read Isaiah 66 a million times, but something came to me just recently that I had never seen or considered.

Isaiah 66
For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

For by fire and by his sword will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many.

Elijah stuck there in my head, is that wrong?

Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 PM

Can we consider that ideas are like pearls forming in one's head? My head, well, my head is full of crazy thoughts all the time, it's my head, my head.{John Malkovich}

Ideas that rack my brain like little children forming and maturing.

How many times did Moses go up to the mountain, what were the dates, what changed, and why did he have to keep starting over?

Where in the world did Moses get a 40 day plan from?

Did he have to begin, and then restart and begin a known plan that had him 40 days and 40 nights to complete the plan? {Just a thought rolling in my head}

Seems like I am always looking for a plan. Drives me crazy.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Here is a good scripture, but I never really thought of the real price of a pearl or gold, that the pearl pays a suffering price, not that people just want it, but that the price of it is suffering. Never clicked before.

Job 28

The Earth's Treasures~ Refined as gold
1Surely there is a vein for the silver, and a place for gold where they fine it.
2Iron is taken out of the earth, and brass is molten out of the stone.
3He setteth an end to darkness, and searcheth out all perfection: the stones of darkness, and the shadow of death.
4The flood breaketh out from the inhabitant; even the waters forgotten of the foot: they are dried up, they are gone away from men.
5As for the earth, out of it cometh bread: and under it is turned up as it were fire.
6The stones of it are the place of sapphires: and it hath dust of gold.
7There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:
8The lion's whelps have not trodden it, nor the fierce lion passed by it.
9He putteth forth his hand upon the rock; he overturneth the mountains by the roots.
10He cutteth out rivers among the rocks; and his eye seeth every precious thing.
11He bindeth the floods from overflowing; and the thing that is hid bringeth he forth to light.
Wisdom an Excellent Gift of God
12But where shall wisdom be found? and where is the place of understanding?
13Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living.
14The depth saith, It is not in me: and the sea saith, It is not with me.
15It cannot be gotten for gold, neither shall silver be weighed for the price thereof.
16It cannot be valued with the gold of Ophir, with the precious onyx, or the sapphire.
17The gold and the crystal cannot equal it: and the exchange of it shall not be for jewels of fine gold.
18No mention shall be made of coral, or of pearls: for the price of wisdom is above rubies.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Ah, good ol shellfish!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Ah, good ol shellfish!
I used to sell oysters and people would come for miles to get them and then pay a huge price. I never could understand it myself, raw oysters?

UGH!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:46 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I used to sell oysters and people would come for miles to get them and then pay a huge price. I never could understand it myself, raw oysters?

UGH!
I used to love raw oysters...But they are off limits for me now...

Old 07-05-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I used to love raw oysters...But they are off limits for me now...
I keep thinking that I should follow just like you, and there certainly must be a plus for staying Kosher, only it's so trivial to a person like me. Maybe I am wrong, I really don't know. I only know how near impossible it would be for me to go Kosher. But if I keep something like that, it's not like I am going to forget the huge imbalance. I mean, if keeping Kosher were the worst of my sins, I would pay more attention, but there is such a flood of misdeeds in comparison. Almost like I give up, WAHHHH!

O MY, I see a sign!

Yes, things are getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism