Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I studied Judaism at a reform congregation. I am considering resuming studies and attending services. Over the years I have met and asked many Jewish people their thoughts on the dietary laws today - none of them Orthodox, though. Some kept kosher pretty strictly, some only kept kosher at home but ate whatever they wanted outside of the home, some didn't care at all and ate whatever they wanted, some only observed the dietary rules at Passover.

What are your thoughts and experiences on the function of the dietary laws today? Do you observe them strictly, loosely, at all?

I appreciate any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:36 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
For all Jews, the laws are obligatory. Some Jews meets their Torah obligations, and as you noted, some do not.

With regards to the "function" of dietary laws, they do not need one. G-d told us, so we do it. To assign a "function" to any of the 613 mitzvahs runs the danger of becoming a heretical activity. But some will say the "function" of dietary laws is to keep the Jews from marrying non-Jews. There is clearly a correlation between keeping kosher and avoiding intermarriage.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:22 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
I keep kosher, and find it to be quite fulfilling. I don't know what the purpose of it is (the dietary laws belong in a group of laws without explanation), but I get a lot out of it.

And my recent move to Long Island has made it much easier to do. I drove out to a customer site in Brooklyn this morning, and passed through several Jewish neighborhoods including Crown Heights. There were kippot and kosher food everywhere.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:11 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I keep kosher, and find it to be quite fulfilling. I don't know what the purpose of it is (the dietary laws belong in a group of laws without explanation), but I get a lot out of it.

And my recent move to Long Island has made it much easier to do. I drove out to a customer site in Brooklyn this morning, and passed through several Jewish neighborhoods including Crown Heights. There were kippot and kosher food everywhere.
When did you leave NC?. .

Old 07-15-2015, 02:13 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post

I didn't know you had moved. Mazel tov! I bet it's quite the change, for the better!

Old 07-15-2015, 03:39 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When did you leave NC?. .
We left NC on the 1st of July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I didn't know you had moved. Mazel tov! I bet it's quite the change, for the better!
Thank you! And it is quite a change. I took a promotion at work that is based on Long Island, and we moved the family up here. It was time for me to get out of the field, and this is a career move within my company.

Our second day here, the friends we're staying with took my wife and I to a kosher grocery store in Queens; it's the first time I've ever gone into a building (other than a synagogue) and not been the only person wearing a kippah. I still think I'm in shock.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
the Jews were given the Torah after all the other nations were offered it and refused because they didn't like what it told them to do. the jews said "na'aseh v'nish'ima" we will do and we will hear. We will do what the Torah asks us to, and after doing so we will hear and learn more about the many benefits of observance

the key part is doing first

we keep the mitzvot, including the dietary laws, because that is what we agreed to do when we were given the Torah on Har Sinai

yes i keep the dietary laws i am an observant Jew. i trust G-d, I trust the Torah, I trust that whatever the mitzvot tell me to do is for the good of my Jewish soul, for the good of the Jewish people, and brings G-d great delight. i will only ever know or learn a tiny sliver of all the depth and richness and beauty of Torah. but the dietary laws (like all the mitzvot) bind me to G-d, and that is where I want to be

Old 07-15-2015, 08:17 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
What are your thoughts and experiences on the function of the dietary laws today?
Truth does not change, that is what makes it Truth. Truth is the seal of Hashem. If it changes it was not Truth to begin with.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Truth does not change, that is what makes it Truth. Truth is the seal of Hashem. If it changes it was not Truth to begin with.
That's beautifully said. And the truth!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:02 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
that's beautifully said. And the truth!
1 + 1 = 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism