Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:51 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post

What about 'fundamentalist' readings of scripture or willingness to defend anything in a particular scripture? Wouldn't that risk fueling various modern problems? Isn't the idea that a particular scripture is the "word of God" potentially dangerous?

Do we not need to be willing to admit that serious moral flaws exist in the scriptures of different religions?

But that of course is going to come into conflict with conservative religious viewpoints.
that may be going off topic for this thread, but if it is of interest to someone then they are free to start a thread to discuss

Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
I guess he thought it was a point of history that some Jews could also be interested in and have some knowledge about.
Absolutely! There was no intention to offend.

More specifically, I was wondering if Jewish children (or adults) are taught that the Crusades and the Muslim massacres in Spain in the late 11th century are on somewhat of an equal level, or if the killings by Crusaders is much more significant.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Absolutely! There was no intention to offend.

More specifically, I was wondering if Jewish children (or adults) are taught that the Crusades and the Muslim massacres in Spain in the late 11th century are on somewhat of an equal level, or if the killings by Crusaders is much more significant.
I find this an offensive topic and an offensive question. It sounds like you are concerned about "who do they think is worse" the Christians or the Muslims?

It is a violation of Jewish law for a Jew to speak unfavorably about any person. So in even asking the question, you are asking a Jew to violate Jewish law by committing lashon hara, which is speaking unfavorably against anyone. It is also forbidden to listen to lashon hara.

the focus for a Jew is on Judaism, not dissecting, comparing, arguing, learning about, or even discussing other religions. to try to "clear your bad name" by saying "we are better because we killed fewer Jews" is very offensive.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-13-2015 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 AM

Judaism recognizes that other religions are a valid path to God.
Judaism does not proselytize.

It is OK for someone to ask me a Jew about Judaism. It is highly suspect when anyone wants to talk to me a Jew about other religions.
The focus for a Jew is on Judaism.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Thread temporarily closed pending moderator consideration. Thread has veered off topic from the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism