Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:49 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Thank you both

I wasn't really thinking about the varying ways others might view my story.

I can understand it strange from the standpoint of being Jewish. But I'm at peace with my decision. I know who I am and what my heritage is. Am I sad that my kids don't have a "pure bread" religion like I had or my wife did? We both know we broke the chain in our families that for my side of the family goes back at least to the mid 1800's (that's as far as I've gotten with my family tree).

I'm not sure why this would make anyone cry. No one will sway me in my belief that Jesus was a great man. My putting up a tree, with no prayers said, is only symbolism for my wife as is the menorah for me. I just this putting up the tree has a familial and not religious meaning to me and my wife.
Don't sweat it, TheFlipFlop is just an over-emotional BT Satmar...To you Jesus was a great man, to TheFlipFlop, he was just another dead Rabbi...To each his own...

Old 12-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Can't it be seen as a symbol of the tree of knowledge, with ornaments instead of apples?
Uh...Do what?...

Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
It's lovely that there are supportive gentiles believing this is beautiful, I feel I must point out that there are different implications with Jewish people celebrating Christian holidays. I'm not judging the OP, but there are other implications to us celebrating Christian holidays that make some of us seem less than supportive. That's all.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Don't sweat it, TheFlipFlop is just an over-emotional BT Satmar...To you Jesus was a great man, to TheFlipFlop, he was just another dead Rabbi...To each his own...
He's just frum. It seems perfectly normal to me.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
He's just frum. It seems perfectly normal to me.
What?, the Frumkeit?...

Old 12-21-2015, 07:10 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
It's lovely that there are supportive gentiles believing this is beautiful, I feel I must point out that there are different implications with Jewish people celebrating Christian holidays. I'm not judging the OP, but there are other implications to us celebrating Christian holidays that make some of us seem less than supportive. That's all.
Honestly. Please expand on this, as I would truly like to understand where different levels of beliefs lie.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I'm not a gentile, and I see the OP's putting up of the tree as a favor he was doing for his MIL, NOT that he was celebrating the Christian holiday in any way for himself. Maybe I'm wrong there. The OP apparently didn't view the tree situation in a religious way at all, but rather as a good deed for his MIL. Probably I am wrong and will be roasted for the POV.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Honestly. Please expand on this, as I would truly like to understand where different levels of beliefs lie.
I would defer you to a Rav for your learning. I don't issue mussar of others.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:12 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm not a gentile, and I see the OP's putting up of the tree as a favor he was doing for his MIL, NOT that he was celebrating the Christian holiday in any way for himself. Maybe I'm wrong there. The OP apparently didn't view the tree situation in a religious way at all, but rather as a good deed for his MIL. Probably I am wrong and will be roasted for the POV.
You are correct

Old 12-21-2015, 08:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
I was talking to my wife today about the tree, it's name, and the memories. When I was asked to put it up that first year (drag the tree out of the basement etc.), it just started from there. My FIL was sick or something that weekend, and me being the visiting man in the house it became my job that day. I really did a good job, and from that point on my MIL pretty much waited for me to put up the tree each year. I came up with the name for the tree because I found it sort of comical in a Goyim house putting up the tree, and they all thought it so funny that it stuck. Sure, I could have played some religious angle, but decided why bother because it was just a tree. There really wasn't any other issue about me doing so.

But to further my OP, although I really didn't mind putting up the tree over the years, it was the last year I put up the tree in their house that meant most to me (5 years ago). My MIL was at home under hospice care in December 5 years ago. I came down that year and put up the tree, and I could just see in her face, already masked with morphine and the oncoming death, her joy (by this time it had been more than 2 decades of me putting up the tree). She ended up passing away on January 2nd, on her 70th birthday. That day is also my wife's birthday.

You did something to help someone else. The world would be a better place if more people did things to help each other. Well done. Some people get it. Some people don't. Never....ever....worry about the people who don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism