Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:41 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Nathan is a 15-year old Jewish boy raised in a secular family. He died for 15 minutes during The Feast of Sukkot 2015 (which was accompanied by the 4th Blood Moon). During that time he was shown the future of Israel and end time visions. His own parents did not raise him to be religious, disapprove of his vision and think he's crazy, so the accusation of "mental suggestion" may be ruled out. An Orthodox Jewish rabbi put his vision to the test of Hebrew Scripture. This is my English summary of and comments on the interview in Hebrew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZd5...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
His own parents did not raise him to be religious, disapprove of his vision and think he's crazy, so the accusation of "mental suggestion" may be ruled out.
No, that's not how it works. Any knowledge of gods, afterlife, visions, revelations, or eschatology taints the knower.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Here is a portion of the video with the boy Natan, and Rabbi Rami Levy, in Hebrew with English subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H0M...outu.be&t=0m2s

Here is a link to the full English translation, 25 pages in transcript form:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-...lqQnpTU1U/view

it is fascinating to read. bear in mind this is a 15-year-old secular Jew from Israel, he is not a yeshiva bochur

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-10-2016 at 11:18 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 01:08 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Very interesting and of course not unparallelled. It gets cast in terms of cultural background and personal feelings. I already noticed the rather un-jewish idea of a heaven full of souls. Christians will love it!

I noted also the rather religious -bonehead view of morals. "Why did you do or say this" is couched in terms of religious good and bad morals and overlooks the scientific truth of instinctive behaviour. In other words this mental construct of an afterlife judgement, with commentary by a Rabbi to make it look rabinically sound, is unfair and cannot possibly represent a judgement by any god that is worthy of respect.

The experience is of interest just as are abduction experiences and we should work to understand them, not just accept them on face value. I am not going to say whether the presentation is intended to inform or to act as polemic for Judaism. If is is, I'll just say that we can't blame the Hassidim for grabbing the chance. But we should think and question, not just swallow the propaganda.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-11-2016 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
I tried to watch the video and as soon as he said "the blood moons are a sign to the Jews" I turned it off. Why must people invent things?

Then I tried again, fast forwarding to a random spot and I heard him say "the 'mashiak' is the original name for Christ."

Click.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I tried to watch the video and as soon as he said "the blood moons are a sign to the Jews" I turned it off. Why must people invent things?

Then I tried again, fast forwarding to a random spot and I heard him say "the 'mashiak' is the original name for Christ."

Click.
And it didn't occur to you that you that he was proselytizing???...That was the whole point with the video...

Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And it didn't occur to you that you that he was proselytizing???...That was the whole point with the video...
I was certain that's what he was doing, but I was curious about his presentation. But once it is predicated on falsehood, I can't see any value to the rest of it.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
I was certain that's what he was doing, but I was curious about his presentation. But once it is predicated on falsehood, I can't see any value to the rest of it.
For sure....

Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:

Click.
that is why i posted the two links to Jewish content only, without the addition and overlay and distortion of other religions' commentary and interpretation.
i found there is something of value in hearing what the Jewish boy experienced and reported and had to say, and what Rabbi Levy had to say.
and i am interested to hear observations and response from the Rabbonim.

It is a call for tshuva and gemillut chasadim. since it moves Jews in that direction it is worthwhile. if it acts as a wake up call to any Jew, then we all benefit. I love hearing any and every story of secular or cynical or bitter or ignorant or distant Jews who have a moving personal experience, and it causes them to start doing mitzvot and learning Torah and they drastically change their life. I was in tears watching this boy describe how he has now started wearing tzitzith.

i only consider as valid that which is presented by Jews. it is up to Jews to evaluate and make sense of and determine the validity of what a Jew experiences. for other religions to impose their views is of no interest to me, so I delete that from my world.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-11-2016 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that is why i posted the two links to Jewish content only, without the addition and overlay and distortion of other religions' commentary and interpretation.
i found there is something of value in hearing what the Jewish boy experienced and reported and had to say, and what Rabbi Levy had to say.
and i am interested to hear observations and response from the Rabbonim.

It is a call for tshuva and gemillut chasadim. since it moves Jews in that direction it is worthwhile. if it acts as a wake up call to any Jew, then we all benefit. I love hearing any and every story of secular or cynical or bitter or ignorant or distant Jews who have a moving personal experience, and it causes them to start doing mitzvot and learning Torah and they drastically change their life. I was in tears watching this boy describe how he has now started wearing tzitzith.

i only consider as valid that which is presented by Jews. it is up to Jews to evaluate and make sense of and determine the validity of what a Jew experiences. for other religions to impose their views is of no interest to me, so I delete that from my world.
I watched the first video. I remain unmoved. My sister became a ba'alat tshuva when her grandfather was on his deathbed - the doctors said he had hours to live. She made a bargain with God. She said that if her grandfather lived, she would become religious.

He lived another two years and she is a wonderful ba'alat mitzvot and midot having embraced observance. It's nice but still rather extreme for my tastes. If we rely on what we see as overt miracles to stir our emotional connection then we risk losing that connection when the miracles don't show up. Just my personal take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism