Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 06:24 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

On the UWS in Manhattan it seems that there will be street shofar blowing this Rosh Hashana:
https://www.westsiderag.com/2020/09/...ws-this-sunday

Meanwhile, I want to wish all a Happy/Healthy Jewish New Year! Shana Tova!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WsWouCsbaQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 07:53 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
My shul has about 15 outdoor street shofar blowings scheduled around the eruv (not NY), in addition to blowing in shul. It would be sad to miss this important mitzvah due to Covid.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
There should be none and it has nothing to do with Covid.

Why Is the Shofar Not Blown on Shabbat?

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...on-Shabbat.htm

Old 09-17-2020, 04:51 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
I'm attending a tashlich service in a park this coming Sunday afternoon, and there I will be able to hear the sound of the shofar. There will be social distancing, of course, but it will be good to be with other Jews and out in the fresh air. I'm so longing for and looking forward to this.

I'm thinking of substituting duck food for the traditional pieces of bread this year, to be kind to the waterfowl. Does anyone here do this?

Shana Tova!

Old 09-17-2020, 05:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There should be none and it has nothing to do with Covid.

Why Is the Shofar Not Blown on Shabbat?

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...on-Shabbat.htm
That’s just Day 1. We can blow the shofar on Day 2, Sunday.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:07 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
One of the back windows of my apartment overlooks the back of a local synagogue (where normally they make their sukkah). If it is quiet enough (meaning no other outdoor noises in the area) even in a normal year, sometimes it is possible to hear the shofar being blown at this location (from my apt.!).

Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
This New Years season is a bit different and not, in general, in a good way. Some of us have experienced tangible losses. It is for that reason I am not sending my usual pictures or other symbols of joy. All of us have suffered from the deprivation of collective cultural events and religious observances.

I am praying for further progress in reopening, both spiritually and for business and recreation. Most of all, I wish everyone a safe holiday and, sooner rather than later, return to life as it should be lived and enjoyed; shared with other people.

L'Shana Tova.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:17 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This New Years season is a bit different and not, in general, in a good way. Some of us have experienced tangible losses. It is for that reason I am not sending my usual pictures or other symbols of joy. All of us have suffered from the deprivation of collective cultural events and religious observances.

I am praying for further progress in reopening, both spiritually and for business and recreation. Most of all, I wish everyone a safe holiday and, sooner rather than later, return to life as it should be lived and enjoyed; shared with other people.

L'Shana Tova.
That's a very thoughtful way of observing that all is not right in the world. If you've suffered a personal loss, JB, I send you my condolences and prayers for healing.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:59 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
That's a very thoughtful way of observing that all is not right in the world. If you've suffered a personal loss, JB, I send you my condolences and prayers for healing.
Thanks.

Personally me and my family couldn't be better. I have been basically fully paid, and my wife and two sons are healthy. My younger son is being paid even though he can't go in to his office. My older son's office reopened in early June, around when mine did, and we both worked from home in between.

I returned to tennis and swimming the minute those reopened. In short, I have refused to be panicked.

Thank you for your wishes. I wish everyone was doing as well as my family. Except I was beaten in tennis by a 94 year old. That's the one downside.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:09 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Thanks for posting this, Chava. I'll give it a listen tomorrow. I'll also send it to my dad.

L'Shanah Tovah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism