Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,631,268 times

Advertisements

I've decided that I am going to take a few days off and head to the beach. I'm going to be staying at an Air BnB in Keansburg, NJ. I'm really excited and I decided to look into experiences as well.

Last year I wanted to do this Mystical Shabbat, but I think it was in NYC instead of Yonkers. However, I didn't have time and I felt bad about missing out. This year, it's being held at the Rabbi's house in Yonkers. I'm going on 18 July and I'm really excited.

I've done Friday evening Shabbats, but never Saturday evening. It's a learning session and I can't wait to learn more. I'm going to prepare some questions too. It'll be interesting to see if others join us, or if it'll just be me, the Rabbi and his family. Regardless, it should be a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,887,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I've decided that I am going to take a few days off and head to the beach. I'm going to be staying at an Air BnB in Keansburg, NJ. I'm really excited and I decided to look into experiences as well.

Last year I wanted to do this Mystical Shabbat, but I think it was in NYC instead of Yonkers. However, I didn't have time and I felt bad about missing out. This year, it's being held at the Rabbi's house in Yonkers. I'm going on 18 July and I'm really excited.

I've done Friday evening Shabbats, but never Saturday evening. It's a learning session and I can't wait to learn more. I'm going to prepare some questions too. It'll be interesting to see if others join us, or if it'll just be me, the Rabbi and his family. Regardless, it should be a lot of fun.
I'd love to hear more about it! I found this link: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...tical-shabbat/

Quoted from the linked article: "Most modern Sabbath observers are unaware of the extent to which Jewish mystics, particularly the kabbalists of Safed in the sixteenth century, introduced into Jewish practice new rituals that reflected their mystical view of the Sabbath."

Has anyone else here ever attended one of these, or considered attending? (Fascinating topic, Jess!)

Old 06-18-2020, 09:39 AM

I've always been into mysticism and ritual; when I was a Muslim, I was interested in Sufism. Sufism is the more mystical aspect of Islam, which other sects of Islam find heretical (dervishes, singing, and other rituals that aren't common in Sunni or Shia).

Anyway, it's nice to see that mysticism is kosher in Judaism. To me, I find ritual not only connects one to the wider community, but also your soul. I like being connected to the soul as much as I love being connected to a community, probably because I'm an introvert and often do things from an inner perspective. I miss attending in person Shabbats for this reason and I can't wait to go.

Here is the event I'm attending: https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/1145544
I wonder if I should reach out to the Rabbi and let him know that I'm gluten-free. I don't want to create any awkwardness, so I'm really debating it. I know when I attend in Philadelphia, I just avoid the Challah ( ), but can eat everything else served.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the link! I see that the person conducting this is an Orthodox rabbi. You find such fascinating stuff, Jess!

Old 06-18-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Thanks for the link! I see that the person conducting this is an Orthodox rabbi. You find such fascinating stuff, Jess!
Thank you. I love to travel, I love to explore, I love to learn and I love writing about the experiences. I tend to operate on a shoe-string budget and sometimes I think those are just the best because there's a lot of free or inexpensive things out there that are fun and interesting.

I'm thinking I'm going to take Lyft there. One of my work friends is originally from NYC (since I eventually want to move there, she gives me advice and tips for the best places to live on a budget and inexpensively - she had to do it for many years) and was telling me Yonkers is in Westchester and can be interesting to get around there. I've never been to Yonkers, so I like to take Lyft to get to an unfamiliar place, then I usually take transit back since I usually get familiar with a place quickly. I will take the bus back to my accommodation after.

This may be my only trip for 2020, so I'm going to make it fun. I'm hoping NYC opens for the holidays because I would love to see it then... I've never been to NYC in November or December, so I'm hoping that this year I can finally see it, but maybe next year. If I can, I'll have to see what NYC does for Hanukkah.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:26 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,272,337 times
Where in Yonkers? Lincoln Park?

Old 06-19-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Where in Yonkers? Lincoln Park?
I've never been to Yonkers, but looking at the map, it looks like it's between Park Hill and Lincoln Park. How is Yonkers? Safe?

Old 06-19-2020, 03:30 PM

Yonkers is ok -- I'm no expert and it is a very large city (in terms of size, not skyline). If you are close to the Yonkers raceway, then that is around Lincoln Park.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Yonkers is ok -- I'm no expert and it is a very large city (in terms of size, not skyline). If you are close to the Yonkers raceway, then that is around Lincoln Park.
Rosends, have you ever conducted a Shabbat service like one of these? Or attended one?

Old 06-20-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Rosends, have you ever conducted a Shabbat service like one of these? Or attended one?
Nope. I just grew up near Yonkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism