Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 05:22 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

I was reading various articles that I found via Google on this topic. I found out that it is false that St. Valentine was antisemitic. But it is true that there was a pogrom against Jews in 1639 on Valentine's Day. So how do you feel about this romanticized holiday as a Jew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 06:31 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
I don't know about any specific pogram against the Jews occurring on Valentine's Day in 1639 but, sadly, one can probably find some record of pogroms having occurred on many various days in history.

And then there was America's St. Valentine's Day Massacre, which had nothing to do with pogroms but was nevertheless a black mark on the day of love. The only Jewish connection I could find with that event was the name of Jewish mobster Harry Keywell, who was a suspect in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Keywell had an alibi for that day, though. He was a member of the notorious Purple Gang, said to have been the only Jewish gang to ever dominate the underworld in a major American city.

Getting back to Valentine's Day and whether we Jews can celebrate it with a clear conscience... Here is a link to a pertinent article on the subject from My Jewish Learning:

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...y-and-judaism/

The article cites the opinion of Rabbi Moshe Isserles from the 16th century. The article concludes with: "While it does not represent every opinion in Jewish literature, the source from the Rama does provide the most salient criteria for making this decision according to Jewish law and it is the basis upon which many rabbis allow Jewish participation in Valentine’s Day rituals."

For myself, I just avoid using the word "Saint" when referring to any Valentine's Day sentimentality in which I participate. And I NEVER turn down a gift of chocolate, whatever the day.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:27 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
. . . And I NEVER turn down a gift of chocolate, whatever the day.
Not even Yom Kippur?

Old 02-15-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Not even Yom Kippur?

Well, I wouldn't eat it on Yom Kippur, of course. But offer me some and I'll snatch it up and stash it in my fridge for afterwards!

Old 02-15-2022, 08:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
taught in a Jewish preschool for 14 years. We were cautious to avoid any thing related to St. Valentine on Feb 14th.
We disguised it as "friendship" day.
I've now started a new job at a non-religious private school.
Monday was a glorious day watching the little ones exchange Valentine cards, gifts, and candy as a symbol of Love and caring.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
taught in a Jewish preschool for 14 years. We were cautious to avoid any thing related to St. Valentine on Feb 14th.
We disguised it as "friendship" day.
I've now started a new job at a non-religious private school.
Monday was a glorious day watching the little ones exchange Valentine cards, gifts, and candy as a symbol of Love and caring.
That sounds about right for a Jewish preschool, where the emphasis would naturally be on Jewish practices and Jewish pride.

I imagine the kids were introduced to the holiday of Tu B'Av instead? There are lots of friendship activities that can be geared for children that are associated with that day. And there's a love-theme running through that day for the adults, as well!

Old 02-16-2022, 08:16 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

I imagine the kids were introduced to the holiday of Tu B'Av instead? There are lots of friendship activities that can be geared for children that are associated with that day. And there's a love-theme running through that day for the adults, as well!
Since Tu B'Av is during the summer holiday school vacation and it is a very minor holiday, I doubt it would mentioned to young children in Hebrew school.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:19 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I find Valentines day to be like Halloween just an Americanized holiday to sell something, eat candy and have fun any connection to some medieval history really seems lost....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism