Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 01:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times

Advertisements

On the TV show Dinner:Impossible, the chef (who was not Jewish) was challenged to make a Kosher meal for Passover. It was interesting - have to have food such as coconut labled kosher for Passover (kosher wasn't good enough), can't drink milk in coffee, etc.

I'm not challenging the Jewish customs but just curious, sorry if any questions sound ignorant:
1. Do Jews have to eat kosher every day?
2. Are the customs based on actual scriptures which can be found in the Bible? If so, any reasons on why it is so?
3. With products such as the coconut, what makes "kosher for Passover" different from "kosher"?
4. Does kosher mean that it has in no way touched any meat product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 PM

71 posts, read 111,322 times
Hey vec101,

Im not Jewish but I follow a Biblical diet as best I can. Yes Jewish Kosher is based on dietary laws handed down in Torah.

Cheese cant be with meat from a scripture that says not to boil a calf in its mothers milk.

To understand the process that they extract the principle is to look at the rabbinical process of discussion of the scriptures. Similar to the bishops of the catholic church refining their does and dont's.

Mostly In Leviticus 11: all

Last edited by quesodano; 12-06-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
I'm not jewish either but a jewish friend once explained to me that it began as a safety thing. Back in the day before dishwashers and sanitary things like bleach, food poisoning was rampant. The dishes were cracked and the "juice" from the meats could get into the cracks on the dishes and contaminate other food. It's a lot more involved but like many jewish customs it has to do with keeping the people safe.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 AM

TY to you both.

Ann, that really makes a lot of sense.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 21,697 times
Hi, I keep kosher in home ( I try to keep Kosher style when eating out )

Yes, you should keep kosher every day. Since there are many movements there are many ways people choose to keep kosher.

Regards to Kosher for Passover and Regular Kosher.
I'll put links at the Bottom of the section.

Kosher Dairy - something with an U in a circle and a D means something has dairy
Kosher meat - Can be glatt or not glatt - it has an OU (look at empire chicken)
Something with an U is neither dairy nor meat. It is considered Pareve or parve.

Ask the Rabbi - Kosher for Passover

My Jewish Learning: Food and the Kitchen

USCJ: Passover guide

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Oh my gosh, how does anyone ever remember all the rules?

It sure makes one curious why all these customs came into being, such as prohibited items such as leavened bread and "grain that came into contact with water for more than 18 minutes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism