Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 AM

295 posts, read 554,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
if you were in a relationship with a goyim, would you require them to eat kosher too? In your own house, yes, of course, I understand that...but if you went out to eat, and they had a ham sandwich or pork ribs...or ate bacon or sausage at breakfast time--how much would that bug you? You have no reasonable expectation for them to keep kosher, even though they might do so, to respect your views, but they might "forget" not having been raised to not eat, for example, pork products, which you think of as unclean.

if a kosher jew took out a non jew i can assure you the restaurnt would be KOSHER and would not offer the above. Kosher jews will not eat in reg restaurants.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
The best thing to do, IMHO, is refrain from eating pork the first time, and then ask if it bothers her in a later conversation. She is probably not going to forbid you from eating pork, but she is not going to keep it in her house or serve it to you.

I had a new office mate ask me if it was okay if she threw her paper plates away in our communal trash can in the office. That is going above and beyond, but I thought it was nice of her to consider that I didn't want pork rinds or whatever the leftover meat is called in my trash. She is so sweet! Again, that is going above and beyond, but I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone asks, and your new friend will be also!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,604 times
You don't need to worry about what you eat. You do need to worry about places you can BOTH eat. However, being very solicitous in this regard will probably earn you some extra points

Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
if a kosher jew took out a non jew i can assure you the restaurnt would be KOSHER and would not offer the above.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
Kosher jews will not eat in reg restaurants.
Jews who observe kashrut will not eat in Gentile restaurants.

(There are regular kosher and fancy kosher restautants and there are regular and fancy Gentile restaurants)

Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
On a side note, doesn't Torah forbid you from marrying outside of the Jewish faith?
That is correct.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 AM

584 posts, read 597,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Quote:
On a side note, doesn't Torah forbid you from marrying outside of the Jewish faith?
That is correct.
It's a good thing that Moses was able to sneak Tziporah in before that order came down! But then there's David and Maacah, and ....

Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
It's a good thing that Moses was able to sneak Tziporah in before that order came down! But then there's David and Maacah, and ....

There is Ruth the Moabite who was not initially Jewish but converted after her husband died and followed Naomi her mother in law and is seen as the first convert.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
The preferred method for Torah Observant Jews is for the non-Jew to convert first. Then later they can consider marrying the Jew once they have become fully Jewish. Any other way is not al pi halacha.

I realize many Jews don't follow this halacha. Of course, many Jews don't really follow any halacha.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM

584 posts, read 597,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
The preferred method for Torah Observant Jews is for the non-Jew to convert first.
And you find this where in the Torah?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop
The preferred method for Torah Observant Jews is for the non-Jew to convert first.
I came to this conclusion by knowing members of the beis din in the town where I live and seeing their practices. They have never, to my knowledge, allowed a conversion of a non-Jew to a Jew until they separate themselves and the non-Jew completes the conversion process. Often the couple marries immediately after the conversion is granted - but that can sometimes take years, depening on the conversion candidate. On numerous occasions I have seen the beis din break apart a relationship of a Jew and a non-Jew when the potential convert was sincere in wanting to convert. They lose all credibility when they declare their desire to convert only after meeting a Jew they want to marry. And we do not allow conversions, al pi halacha, of non-Jews who do not intend to be shomer mitzvahs and Torah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism