Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM

287 posts, read 503,538 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you do not have a comparision, but if you do, I would appreciate your input. Both metro area populations are similar in size.
I can chose either city for my employment. Indy seems to have less
expensive housing, KC seems to have more varied terrain. Where are people
more likely to be nicer? Happier? More fit? Better neighborhoods? Better
economic future? And so on, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 PM

83 posts, read 397,421 times
check my post on the Indiana board.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:46 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
I have lived in Kansas City and been on several business trips to Indianapolis and can say for sure that I like Indianapolis much more.

The one thing I REALLY don't like about Kansas City is how everything seems so spread out. I didn't get that feeling in Indianapolis. Housing is supposedly cheaper in Indianapolis and I want to say taxes in Indiana are cheaper than they are in Missouri or Kansas.

I actually might be moving back to Kansas City due to a family situation, but in all honesty, if it wasn't for this potential situation arising, KC is probably one of the last places I would be taking my family back to.

These are all personal opinions though and I can guarantee someone will feel the exact opposite but might not post it, so take it as you will.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 PM

83 posts, read 397,421 times
I've got to agree with the poster above about KCMO being so spread out....if the light-rail comes, that could help that issue, but yeah, this city is HUGE in term of land. Indy is spread out too, but it feels a lot more compact than KC and the interstate system running through Indy is FAR less complex than KC (that could just be b/c I'm new to KC though).

Like I said, I live downtown and absolutely LOVE it, downtown is dead now, but in 4-5 years, if the P and L district takes off, could be the place to be in KC (other than that Plaza).

The deal breaker with living downtown is the cost of auto insurance. Like I said on the Indiana board, my car insurance DOUBLED moving to downtown KC. It was going to be more than when I originally BOUGHT the car brand new in 2003 AND was under 23. I'm now over 25 and the car is 4 years old and it was STILL going to be double....absolute deal breaking for living downtown past a year for me.

There are a lot of nice area in and around KCMO, just be warned you will have a commute that's no so fun if you're working downtown. If not, you should be ok.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:55 AM

287 posts, read 503,538 times
I spent most of today, Saturday, driving around the MO side of KC exploring the area. It is huge. At the end of my day I found myself way down in Lee's Summit. It took forever to get back up to Liberty where my hotel room is.
Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to leave. Leaving relieves me of stress.
Staying is stressful because then I have to commit to an apartment lease,
find a job, etc. Right now I am considering getting out of here. I must comment, though, on how nice the people are here. For a big city, it is very very surprising. You would not find these kinds of people in Chicago. Today for example, I realize when I went into a Mcdonald's restaurant that I had
left my wallet at home in my hotel room. I told the manager that I had left
my wallet at home and asked if she took checks, she said, sorry, we do not.
I then attempted to buy something with whatever change I had in my pocket. She said, don't worry about it, this meal's on me. This is not
just an isolated incident. I have found numerous examples of helpful, friendly people in this metro area. If I leave, I will miss that. I know KC is a rarity in that regard. Currently I am leaning towards Edwardsville, Illinois. I have been reading that Edwardsville has an extensive network of rails-to-trails. I love
rails to trails. KC seems to be lacking a bicycle trail network. Again I am probably just looking for an excuse, but I will probably go to Edwardsville,
which is east of STL, because of their trail system, and because they are close to STL.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM

63 posts, read 430,402 times
I've lived near and been to both cities.

-KC has a lot more crime, but they have that great barbecue

-In the state of Indiana the cost of living is good but housing won't appreciate much over time; also you can travel to many other cities from there (Chicago, Cincinnati, Saint Louis to name a few)

Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 16,542 times
Where's this great BBQ at????

Old 06-30-2007, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 82,031 times
Just wanted to comment.... We are very nice here in Kansas City! But I agree, very spread out & commuting is maddening!

I've lived here all my life & have "dreamed" of days of moving away to far more "fascinating" places (Chicago, Boston, Denver)...etc., but this is home & I love it here.

Now, if we can just do something about the humidity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City