Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 08:10 PM

196 posts, read 394,901 times

Advertisements

I'm not Jewish myself, but as I mentioned before, diversity is something I value very much in my hometown of Kansas City. I've always believed KC in general to be Jewish-friendly; I mean Wikipedia even states:

Quote:
Kansas City is home to a large and vibrant Jewish community, with several synagogues in the city and adjacent communities.
When I was in middle school, I attended a private school called Horizon Academy that was (at the time) leasing space at Congregation Beth Torah located in JoCo, which meant long 35 minutes drives each day for my parents. Everybody at the synagogue was very nice and welcoming. I learned a lot about the Jewish community and even had some friends and teachers who were themselves Jewish. It was a wonderful experience.

Over the years, I became curious as to how well our city's Jewish community had it here...in terms of acceptance from others in the metro. Occasionally I'll hear about some whiny KC naysayer who sounds off with phrases like:

Quote:
If you didn't grow up in KC, you aren't accepted. As a Jewish person, I felt an unbelievable amount of anti-semitism. I can't imagine what it's like to be African-American or homosexual there.
Normally I would dismiss such a neurotic (and hasty) generalization. But there are two examples I could only guess this guy would use to back his claims:

Sometime in 2005 or 2006, there was a controversy that broke out in the news about the antisemitic hate group Aryan Nation and their possible move of headquarters to KCK. THANK GOD IT NEVER HAPPENED. But just hearing the story really made me cringe and I wondered what it was about KCK (or KC for that matter) that made it their candidate for a possible move.

Recently, I stumbled upon an article about The Society of Saint Pius X or SSPX. It's a traditionalist Catholic organization originating in France, but its American headquarters are in KCK. They are often associated with antisemitism, as many of the articles (that I have read) suggest. If that is the case, I find it VERY disconcerting . Kansas City whether it be on the Kansas or Missouri side should NOT be welcoming of antisemitism or any form of hate, racism, discrimination, etc.

In all the years I have lived in the KC metro, I have NEVER EVER met anyone who mocks Jewish people or denies the holocaust. I've never even heard racial slurs spoken in normal conversation.

Often times, I think KC's diversity is underestimated by people who don't look at the big picture. Diversity is anywhere you find it, it doesn't have to be defined by or limited to region.

I think the Kansas City metro IS diverse and IS accepting of its Jewish community and I hope I'm right. Does anyone else agree?

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 04-08-2012 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
I've always thought Kansas City is Jewish friendly, and has been for a long time. Some of Kansas City's most firmly established, prominent, philanthropic and involved upper-class families are Jewish or have Jewish roots. On the ground, however, I think KCMO's urban core and eastern/northeastern JoCo are the most Jewish friendly areas and where you'll find most live. From personal experience, I know that the 103rd St corridor in OP has a large concentration of Jews. The Missouri suburbs and maybe even KCK? I'm not so sure those places are as open to that sort of diversity.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I've always thought Kansas City is Jewish friendly, and has been for a long time. Some of Kansas City's most firmly established, prominent, philanthropic and involved upper-class families are Jewish or have Jewish roots. On the ground, however, I think KCMO's urban core and eastern/northeastern JoCo are the most Jewish friendly areas and where you'll find most live. From personal experience, I know that the 103rd St corridor in OP has a large concentration of Jews. The Missouri suburbs and maybe even KCK? I'm not so sure those places are as open to that sort of diversity.
I live in the Missouri suburbs (Platte County to be exact). As with most suburban communities in America, religion and race is never really discussed or acknowledged where I live; kind of a non-issue. People in Platte understand basic values of tolerance (live and let live, etc). Regardless of what race or religion you hail from, you'll be accepted as long as you're a thoughtful and friendly person; that's really all that matters. At least that's been my impression.

Don't know about KCK or the rest of the metro, but I guess it's pretty much the same.

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 04-08-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
I think this link is accurately reflective of how the Jewish population is distributed in the KC area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jewish...souri&t=m&z=11

Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
In all the years I have lived in the KC metro, I have NEVER EVER met anyone who mocks Jewish people or denies the holocaust. I've never even heard racial slurs spoken in normal conversation.

I think the Kansas City metro IS diverse and IS accepting of its Jewish community and I hope I'm right. Does anyone else agree?
Kind of odd to bring it up then. Is there any reason you picked Jews vs any other identity? KC is generally accepting towards anything (on par with most metros) so not sure what the point is here. There's been an increase of Muslims the last 10+ years, about 20K now and a dozen or so mosques spread across the metro. Muslim hate crimes happen across the country yet I'm not aware of anything in KC (that hits the news anyway).

I'm an 'atheist' (I don't call myself one as I don't believe in flying unicorns yet don't call myself an aflyingunicornist) and atheists rank as low or lower than Muslims in US 'trustworthy' polls. Is a non-issue in KC and pretty much anywhere. Anyone who makes an issue of identity these days are the exception, no the norm.

Last edited by xenokc; 04-09-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Kind of odd to bring it up then. Is there any reason you picked Jews vs any other identity?
Because all this time I never understood why anyone in this day in age would make accusations of antisemitism toward a particular city or metro. And I have heard it from a couple people (the guy I quoted from an MLB site and another person on C-D).

When I read about the SSPX and their connection with antisemitism, it made me weary about how people in the metro would be categorized or labeled by outsiders or transplants (despite our urban core and JoCo being more accepting to Jews). The thought of KCK having an organized antisemitic church body is VERY unsettling to me. I haven't read of any "ORGANIZED" religious group headquartered in the metro that has a blatant anti-Muslim or anti-Atheist slant.

The last sentence was me giving my PERSONAL impressions, and I said I "HOPE" I'm right about KC proper NOT being antisemitic.

I guess you could say I'm passionate about KC's overall image.

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 04-09-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
You'll find people out there in every city who are anti-some-identity, but again it's the exception not the norm. In terms of organized hate groups, every city has at least a couple. In KC there a couple listed below (Black Separatist and Neo Nazi). Denver and STL areas have more. Most cities have quite a few more, including NYC, Chicago, LA and San Fran. So would you ask if LA or Chicago are anti-semetic as a whole just because there will be some who are? KC is no different. I'm sure you could find someone who is... as any city.

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
A total non-issue.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I don't know about the rest of Kansas City, but Johnson County is definitely Jewish friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City