Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,921,767 times

Advertisements

Both of these buildings have had numerous redevelopment proposals. It looks like these plans are pretty solid though.

Commission supports TIF for Power & Light Building project - Kansas City Business Journal

Old Federal Reserve building (again) may get new life as a hotel - Kansas City Business Journal

Last edited by kcmo; 06-13-2014 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 PM

634 posts, read 898,284 times
Good because I hate that building, the first one, I had to stare out at it for 2 days when I stayed at the President.

However, while I think it's a good idea to bring old buildings back to life, the city is doing it way too much, it reinforces the theme of returning to kc after an absence and finding no visual change sending the message to the vacationing Smiths' or Jones' that it's the "same old thing here folks, no need to stop in that town when passin thru on I-70".

Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Good because I hate that building, the first one, I had to stare out at it for 2 days when I stayed at the President.

However, while I think it's a good idea to bring old buildings back to life, the city is doing it way too much, it reinforces the theme of returning to kc after an absence and finding no visual change sending the message to the vacationing Smiths' or Jones' that it's the "same old thing here folks, no need to stop in that town when passin thru on I-70".
I think they should be restored, so I may disagree with you there.

However KC has very little new construction. They are just now getting a new tower up and it's not even a very big one and it's highly subsidized (first residential one downtown in decades). But hopefully it will lead to more though and KC's rents will get high enough to warrant new construction of high rise residential more often. But with the crossroads still full of parking lots, the entire east side of downtown still a mess and most of midtown needing infill, KC doesn't need a lot of new towers just yet.

On a positive note, things are starting to pick up a little for low rise residential infill. It's still not where it should be, but things are getting better. It's mostly national developers starting to take notice of KC though. The local developers still pretty much ignore the urban core in KC.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM

I do agree because of the size, but maybe a mixed use building, no more low income lofts, upscale apartments or condos, possibly a hotel.

I heard you say in another forum that the new skyscraper in oklahoma city looks out of place, do you think KC would be well suited for a 50+ story building? Because there seems to be a certain amount of prestige to occupying the highest building in any given city, attracting tenants who want to be associated at or near prominent locations. Isn't there already a waiting list for the freedom tower in nyc? It seems like the plaza area has no trouble finding tenants so why not downtown? I'm thinking out loud now.

Last edited by Garethe; 06-13-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 05:00 PM

I've got it!

Walmart!!!! Bring in a Wally World, stick it in downtown kcmo, and I guarantee they will be driving in from as far away as Topeka.

Ok, just a little levity, but it's sad that Ikea is probably generating more excitement in the metro than this, the streetcar, hotel, or any other project.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 PM

495 posts, read 779,889 times
Anybody that hates the Power & Light building is a completeModcut. This is good news for downtown. These buildings are iconic. Drive through Houston or Phoenix and you probably wouldn't remember a single tower because they all look the same. Kansas City is blessed with a plethora of buildings from the early 1900's to modern day. Restoration along with infill is the key to a vibrant, interesting downtown.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 06-15-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Anybody that hates the Power & Light building is a complete idiot (see Garethe). This is good news for downtown. These buildings are iconic. Drive through Houston or Phoenix and you probably wouldn't remember a single tower because they all look the same. Kansas City is blessed with a plethora of buildings from the early 1900's to modern day. Restoration along with infill is the key to a vibrant, interesting downtown.
Yea, those historic buildings really make KC unique. The city needs new construction to compliment them, but KC's older buildings are awesome. I do agree that they should be market rate apartments and the P&L tower will not only be market rate, but at the top of the KC market (close to new construction prices).

Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I've got it!

Walmart!!!! Bring in a Wally World, stick it in downtown kcmo, and I guarantee they will be driving in from as far away as Topeka.

Ok, just a little levity, but it's sad that Ikea is probably generating more excitement in the metro than this, the streetcar, hotel, or any other project.
Walmart sucks, but I think it would be great to see one as part of an urban project in the crossroads or something such as this one in DC.

People make a big deal out of IKEA in any town the size of KC. Denver did when they opened theirs. It's too bad that KC's IKEA wasn't located in a more urban location. They chose a great location for the one in StL. There are IKEA's everywhere around here. They are okay for a few things like tables or office furniture, but for the most part, I don't find them very useful outside of a cheap way to furnish a college dorm room or something. It's still good that KC is getting one, it will be a super regional draw. But yea, I'm sure the IKEA will get all kinds of attention while any project downtown will be an afterthought for most metro residents. I wouldn't come within five miles of that IKEA for the first year or two it's open. IKEAs are annoying enough to navigate without being overcrowded with ten thousand people that have never been in one.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Another vacant historic structure, the Midland office tower is supposed to be converted to apartments as well (by Cordish).

Old 06-14-2014, 11:13 PM

The Midland building is gorgeous, now I insist it be preserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: