Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Missouri offers up to $26M to lure CBIZ to Plaza - Kansas City Business Journal

While this company is moving "back" to KCMO and at least moving to an urban core location vs a South KC office park, this is still not really good for the metro.

26 million dollars to move 450 employees across state line into what is probably the hottest office market in the metro. I mean for 26 million in incentives at least try and get them downtown.

Looks like Kansas got what it wanted. Missouri is playing hardball. For many years, Missouri didn't want to play this game but in the last year or so, they have been doing the same thing Kansas has been doing.

Missouri must also want high taxes and nothing to show for it but corporate welfare.

Good luck KC. You really need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:47 PM

Here are the kinds of stories I read locally.

CEB to invest $149.7 million in new headquarters, create 800 new jobs in Arlington | WJLA.com

People here are freaking out over the state giving 9.5 million to help this company build a 150 million dollar tower and bring 800 new jobs. Yep, KC has eco development all figured out if the goal is to wave as much tax money as possible for as little net gain as possible in the most ridiculous suburban greenfield locations.

But again if there is a bright side to the CBIZ deal, The plaza is better than some box in the burbs surrounded by parking. I guess...

Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 PM

Here is a more suburban project just announced for the DC area. I don't think there were any incentives involved. Not much to comment on, so I keep commenting on KC area companies getting 20,30,40,50 as much as 60 million to move a few hundred existing jobs across town with no new net jobs. It's just mind boggling to me that this bothers almost nobody there.

Capital One Awaiting Approval of Taller Headquarters | The Tysons Corner

Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Wah wah wah. The sky is falling! Gloom and doom!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM

495 posts, read 778,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

While this company is moving "back" to KCMO and at least moving to an urban core location vs a South KC office park, this is still not really good for the metro.

26 million dollars to move 450 employees across state line into what is probably the hottest office market in the metro. I mean for 26 million in incentives at least try and get them downtown.

Looks like Kansas got what it wanted. Missouri is playing hardball. For many years, Missouri didn't want to play this game but in the last year or so, they have been doing the same thing Kansas has been doing.

Missouri must also want high taxes and nothing to show for it but corporate welfare.

Good luck KC. You really need it.
These posts really need to stop. You don't need to start a new thread every time the City or state of MO or KS gives out incentives to a company. We all get it and know it's not good overall for the metro, but enough is enough for fvcks sake. Why don't you go post on the Denver forum or maybe, get a life.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 PM

Yea, I should probably just ignore all this and go talk about KU or something .

Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yea, I should probably just ignore all this and go talk about KU or something .
Why don't you go get involved in the city you are CURRENTLY living in? There's an idea! OR do they not want your input, either?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Being close to DC (and the ways and means committees) is enough incentive for corporate America-- big business will always pay big bucks to move its consultants and lobbyist closer to the power center. The Corporate Executive Board isn't going to pay to relocate to KC for any amount of money. Neither will Capital One - who would they complain to in KC next time they need a $4 billion dollar tarp bailout?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why don't you go get involved in the city you are CURRENTLY living in? There's an idea! OR do they not want your input, either?
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I am. I've mentioned this to you before.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I am. I've mentioned this to you before.
Yeah, I just checked your post history. You spend most of your time on this forum. Why? If you freaking love Denver and DC and everyplace else so much, go suck up to them and leave us alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City