Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times

Advertisements

I like HyVee's meat, but their produce is horrible. Their prices on name brand stuff is high, they seem to really feature their store brands.

I buy my staple items, like cereal, canned goods, etc at Walmart and perishables, and any sale stuff I want/need at Price Chopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwyt View Post
Hubby on his way out there for work. He left today for job at GM Fairfax. Was just trying to figure out a good grocery that is not sky high on prices as they don't have Kroger out there. lol Not sure when I will be able to follow as have to sell our houses here first. Just trying to find out as much info as I can on the area. He's too proud to ask anyone.
Walmart is the best.. if you live near a super.. (and they can be rare depending on where you live?) you take in all the ads (or you don't even have to) for the local super markets and they'll price match it all.

I like hyvee's sales occasionally and or flavored chicken breast/top sirloin.. price shopper never has really good sales and even when they do "walmart" will match (this isn't a 100% correct they do have "good deals" occasionally yah like when they had $.50 bbq sauce I tried to get it at my local super walmart and they were sold out.. probably cause of price matching)

Aldi's is pretty awesome all the time.. as in they have the cheapest fruit prices all/most the time. That's a #1 pricematch for walmart a lot is "aldis"

Sunfresh or "thriftaway" is okay.. save-a-lot is not bad.. there fruit specials are okay. and they are always selling bottled water for $2.19 per 24 pack.. I buy ALL my water there.. not sure if walmart would price match it being some "no name" water

If your not getting flyers to your door.. and even if you are.. this might help you browse some other ones. Weekly ads in Kansas City

Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 AM

17 posts, read 14,722 times
Speaking of supermarkets, why on earth are there no supermarkets between downtown and the Plaza area? Endless homes and apartments without options to shop for food.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewwitharoom View Post
Speaking of supermarkets, why on earth are there no supermarkets between downtown and the Plaza area? Endless homes and apartments without options to shop for food.
Is the Sunfresh in Westport closed?

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM

17 posts, read 14,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Is the Sunfresh in Westport closed?
Thank you for the response. No indication the location is closed. I am moving to Kansas City for a new job and toured the area for a few hours without any indication of a food store. I live in Tulsa now and have 5+ options within a few minutes drive of the home in mid town. Normally the situation in Kansas City would be called a food desert and associated with a poor section of town, not the not so poor section of town.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:41 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,870 times
Yes, the Sunfresh in Westport is still open. It is the best option in the area, which is kind of sad, as it is not that great.

There is also the Costco, where I do much of my grocery shopping. You also have some smaller groceries like the Thriftway on Main St and Save-a-lot at 34th and Troost. If you go east and west a bit, there are some more options, like the Aldi at 39th and Propect, a new Sunfresh is being built at Linwood and Propect, and the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, Price Chopper, and Aldi in Roeland Park, just across State Line from Midtown.

I am disappointed that the Truman Med Center back grocery for 27th and Troost didn't materialize (largely because of the Sunfresh going in on Linwood). The area could definitely use another quality grocer. Supposedly one of the current proposals for the site does contain a market element (although I don't think it is a full-blown supermarket).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City