Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Iwould think you are hurting a cities tax base when you take over shopping centers completely. GV.Lot a grocery store anchor position when they took over that shopping center in GV.
It's probably more like they're helping by occupying buildings that otherwise may be vacant and by living in and around Grandview, a city that needs all the help it can get.

Regardless, Grandview's retail is about to do a major turn around once Truman Corners is renovated and reopens as Truman's Marketplace. L.C.’s Bar-B-Q, Ross Dress for Less, Petco, T.J. Maxx and Shoe Carnival are signed onto the project and I believe the Price Chopper will be renovated and it's looking like a new Walmart Supercenter will anchor the area. Pretty awesome and it didn't seem likely, just like what happened to Wyandotte Plaza in KCK.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...cle646952.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...r-trumans.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:38 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
It's probably more like they're helping by occupying buildings that otherwise may be vacant and by living in and around Grandview, a city that needs all the help it can get.

Regardless, Grandview's retail is about to do a major turn around once Truman Corners is renovated and reopens as Truman's Marketplace. L.C.’s Bar-B-Q, Ross Dress for Less, Petco, T.J. Maxx and Shoe Carnival are signed onto the project and I believe the Price Chopper will be renovated and it's looking like a new Walmart Supercenter will anchor the area. Pretty awesome and it didn't seem likely, just like what happened to Wyandotte Plaza in KCK.

L.C.

Walmart appears to be mystery anchor for Truman's Marketplace - Kansas City Business Journal
The major shopping center they own is in a core position for Grandview. I don't see how they are helping at all.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:

L.C.

Walmart appears to be mystery anchor for Truman's Marketplace - Kansas City Business Journal
That sounds more like a load of suburban crap that any exciting development. And I certainly wouldn't want to live near thousands of cult members. I would think that makes Grandview less desireable.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:03 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That sounds more like a load of suburban crap that any exciting development....
If you're not familiar, Grandview and the general area is fairly run down and has been going down hill for a long time. It's been bleeding its middle class for a long time, but is a very working-class suburb. It's also largely and increasingly black. Truman Corners used to be a happening and major shopping center in the Kansas City area. Right now it's in horrible shape and very run down and mostly vacant. It's the largest retail center in Grandview and always has been. Also, Grandview is basically an inner-ring suburb. It's certainly older. And considering all of these facts, I hope you'll agree with me here, but the redevelopment I just described is absolutely tremendous for Grandview. The people who live there will surely appreciate it a great deal. It will lift their spirits and give them more pride in their community and a stronger sense of community. It will help turn Grandview around and make it more attractive. Currently there's only one grocery store there that I know of, Price Chopper, and while I haven't been in that store, I'm sure it's in great need of the remodeling. If a Walmart Supercenter also opens, then there will be two grocery stores in the area and an appropriate large general merchandise store for Grandview's demographics. Again, something I think its residents will greatly appreciate. Redeveloping and turning around an inner suburb that's on the road to becoming completely ghetto is tremendous. Retailers reaching out to serve non-preferential demographics and the working class is tremendous. Not every place is suited for or needs bourgeois development.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
If you're not familiar, Grandview and the general area is fairly run down and has been going down hill for a long time. It's been bleeding its middle class for a long time, but is a very working-class suburb. It's also largely and increasingly black. Truman Corners used to be a happening and major shopping center in the Kansas City area. Right now it's in horrible shape and very run down and mostly vacant. It's the largest retail center in Grandview and always has been. Also, Grandview is basically an inner-ring suburb. It's certainly older. And considering all of these facts, I hope you'll agree with me here, but the redevelopment I just described is absolutely tremendous for Grandview. The people who live there will surely appreciate it a great deal. It will lift their spirits and give them more pride in their community and a stronger sense of community. It will help turn Grandview around and make it more attractive. Currently there's only one grocery store there that I know of, Price Chopper, and while I haven't been in that store, I'm sure it's in great need of the remodeling. If a Walmart Supercenter also opens, then there will be two grocery stores in the area and an appropriate large general merchandise store for Grandview's demographics. Again, something I think its residents will greatly appreciate. Redeveloping and turning around an inner suburb that's on the road to becoming completely ghetto is tremendous. Retailers reaching out to serve non-preferential demographics and the working class is tremendous. Not every place is suited for or needs bourgeois development.

Agreed.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Yep. Good things are happening in Grandview. I don't know the first thing about IHOP, but I would think you could live in Grandview and have nothing to with them while enjoying they much needed economic activity they are bringing to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That sounds more like a load of suburban crap that any exciting development. And I certainly wouldn't want to live near thousands of cult members. I would think that makes Grandview less desireable.
Again, I'm not religious at all. Is this group really that bad? Is it any worse than the big suburban mega churches?

Grandview needs "suburban crap" more than anything right now. They need the basic suburban big and small boxes. Once they redevelop Truman Corners, then maybe they can dream up some "exciting" commercial developments. With a population of over 25k, they should have more than a run down Price Chopper.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yep. Good things are happening in Grandview. I don't know the first thing about IHOP, but I would think you could live in Grandview and have nothing to with them while enjoying they much needed economic activity they are bringing to the city.

Again, I'm not religious at all. Is this group really that bad? Is it any worse than the big suburban mega churches?

Grandview needs "suburban crap" more than anything right now. They need the basic suburban big and small boxes. Once they redevelop Truman Corners, then maybe they can dream up some "exciting" commercial developments. With a population of over 25k, they should have more than a run down Price Chopper.

The IHOP members are not over whelming by count at all. The economic affect on the city is very noticeable.

"while enjoying they much needed economic activity they are bringing to the city"

Sure they bring in a few bucks by retail shopping etc, but buying a whole shopping center and turning it into church what evers is not a good community neighbor at all.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The IHOP members are not over whelming by count at all. The economic affect on the city is very noticeable.

"while enjoying they much needed economic activity they are bringing to the city"

Sure they bring in a few bucks by retail shopping etc, but buying a whole shopping center and turning it into church what evers is not a good community neighbor at all.
When a church leases retail space, you know there is no longer a retail demand for that space. Landlords will lease to religious organizations when they can't even get pawn shops, thrift stores and dollar stores as tenants and cities hate them because they are tax exempt. I think those strip malls were nearly vacant. Let the church have that space, there is PLENTY of room to build new or renovate old retail in Grandview. Is there still a kmart down the highway or is all that vacant now too?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:

To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Grandview and didn't know it was doing so bad that they needed a grocery store. I'm more familiar with KCK and areas where family lives that has little to no retail anywhere nearby.

IHOP is that bad. Just google it if you want to see things that go on with them. They're rabidly anti gay and have supported organizations that helped pass extreme laws criminalizing homosexuality in Africa. They appear to be more along the lines of a cult than a mega church.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
When a church leases retail space, you know there is no longer a retail demand for that space. Landlords will lease to religious organizations when they can't even get pawn shops, thrift stores and dollar stores as tenants and cities hate them because they are tax exempt. I think those strip malls were nearly vacant. Let the church have that space, there is PLENTY of room to build new or renovate old retail in Grandview. Is there still a kmart down the highway or is all that vacant now too?
They didn't lease it. They purchased it. The anchor grocery store had left but there were quite a few tenants of other shops that left after the purchase. They pretty much turned the shopping center into a church college. Them being tax exempt surely has to hurt Grandview. The Kmart is gone also. That shopping center is pretty much defunct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City