Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 8,668 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and kids have been talking a lot about moving to Smithville, MO from the Kansas side. We spent almost the whole summer at the lake and just love it. Our only concern is the fact we've heard a couple of times that it's a very clicky area and difficult to make friends. Does anyone have any experience with this or any insight? We'd hate to move there and then have a hard time with something so important. Thanks so much for any and all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
I haven't lived there but from my visits up there, I'd say more "small" town minded and not "clicky". I don't know if there's a difference to you, but to me, small town means they tend to stick together but they let me into their groups when I go up there for a bit if I let them know I want to join and that I don't really want to change/upset their balance of how things are done. I'm fairly good at incorporating myself into groups though but I didn't feel "left" out because I didn't belong in their group. You just have to put in effort to warm up to them to get in? Just go with it as a "small" community feel that stick together, make it known that you plan to be part of it and they should be fine with you.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,863 times
My husband grew up in Smithville & I moved there in 5th grade (we are now in our 30's). We absolutely love the town & the schools are great (at least they were when we were there). I've never heard it referred to as clicky & that has not been our experience. People are very friendly & welcoming. It has a nice rural feel yet is very close to all the conveniences of the city. We would move back there in a heartbeat.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
It can be cliquey, but of you're willing to get really involved in the community, making friends will be easy.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,682 times
Default Smithville, DON'T DO IT

We moved to Smithville from NJ in 2004. At that time and for ten years after, it was the most miserable experience I have ever had. I have lived all over the world and nothing prepared me for this. If you weren't born there don't go there. It was an "Old Boys" dictatorship. I tried to join their American Legion Post. They had a secret meeting to see if I would be allowed to join. Mind you, I was a woman with more time in than any of them. .I found out that they were operating under their original charter and that there were no minutes. It stated that you had to be "a white male" to join. After having words with higher authority, I was in, however, they black balled our business and we went under. If you aren't part of the group your children will not get more than 2 minutes on the playing field for sports. The woman than did our taxes also did the billing for the city water department. Turns out she committed the crime of theft and transporting stolen money across state lines. She went to prison for ten years and all her clients were audited for years to come. I did make several friends but they were far and few between. The majority of people were extremely prejudiced. I would recommend a town a little closer to KC. I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City