Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:38 PM

684 posts, read 791,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They are not Missouri, they are Kansas City. The Broncos aren't Colorado, they are Denver.
Hum...Kansas City is Missouri and Denver is Colorado. I mean what's next? Is Denver also Kansas then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Lol. I live in Missouri and don't think Kansans or JOCO need to help pay for stadium upgrades. Why? Because they are owned by Jackson County. You don't own a car and ask your neighbor to help pay for repairs. Again, JACKSON COUNTY MISSOURI owns the stadiums. I figured it needed to be in all CAPS for you to understand!
I don't think they need to pay taxes either, with a little sarcasm did I reply unto his statement. But way to read into it. And yes, JACKSON COUNTY MISSOURI does own the stadiums.

Quote:
No, they shouldn't storm the field. That would mean we didn't expect to win. We do expect to win.

In KU basketball, the fans NEVER storm the court. We are Kansas. We expect to win. We do not storm the court. Ever.

Same with the Royals this year. It's a good team. We won the wildcard game. We swept the ALDS. We swept the ALCS. We are going to the World Series. No, we don't storm the field.
I was young at the time, but it comes to find out that the fans did storm the field to celebrate with the team after winning the World Series. I saw a story about it on the news, but this is the only photo I could find. Though I still agree that fans shouldn't do it again, it would be of bad taste.

The 1985 World Series Champion Kansas City Royals - MLB - SI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 AM

495 posts, read 778,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post

I don't think they need to pay taxes either, with a little sarcasm did I reply unto his statement. But way to read into it. And yes, JACKSON COUNTY MISSOURI does own the stadiums.

Oh sorry I read into this statement by you??? "Sometimes I wish Kansans/JoCo would help pay taxes for our current stadiums. We pay everything, but only for them to partake and then impose. And when it always comes to the owners lusting for more renovations, then they always have to bully Missouri tax payers by threatening the possibility of moving out to Kansas"

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Sounds like you should take your issues up with ownership and quit blaming Kansas/JoCo. And I don't remember the Royals or Chiefs ever "threatening" to move to Kansas. Again, you are just making crap up to try to prove your point, which I don't think anybody on this board even knows what that is.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Kansas CITY is in Missouri. The KC Metro is in both Missouri and Kansas. While there is a city in Kansas that is also called Kansas City, but that is a suburb or satellite city of KC,MO just like every other town in the metro area. It's all one big metro area. While the Royals and Chiefs belong to the entire metro, there is nothing wrong with not liking it when people think KC is in Kansas. When you think of KC, it will almost always be the Missouri side. That's where the CITY is and always has been. That does not mean the Kansas side is a terrible place (despite Jo County being a terrible metro partner). My roommate in college in PA was from overland park and he would always correct people about where kc is. He would say "the main city is in Missouri but I'm from the Kansas suburbs". It's just geography people and not a big deal but it IS irritating because people don't think too highly of the state of Kansas even though Kansas is actually quite nice at least in the kc area.

So anyway. The KC Royals are so awesome and everybody out here is excited about them. They walk up to me in NYC and spark conversations when I have anything royals on. It's been a fun ride, I hope we can win it all!!
Nicely said. Looks like the Royals are backed into a corner. I hope they can pull it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
And I don't remember the Royals or Chiefs ever "threatening" to move to Kansas. Again, you are just making crap up to try to prove your point, which I don't think anybody on this board even knows what that is.
The teams themselves never threatened to move (to Kansas or anyplace else). However, proposals were coming together to lure the teams to the Kansas side (Chiefs to Village West and Royals to western JoCo.). Politicians and developers were getting pretty serious about it and it started to become public (meetings in Topeka etc) and when that happened, MO voters began to freak out. I think the threat of Kansas swiping the teams (along with other threats like MLB contraction and some talk of other markets going after the Chiefs) is what pushed the Jackson County voters that didn't like to plan to go ahead and vote for it, myself included. It became the only plan or lose the teams.

I wanted to wait and do a downtown ballpark, but I personally couldn't fathom the idea of losing the Royals and the idea of just moving them to another suburban location only on the Kansas side and just walk away from the Truman Sports Complex was just stupid. I mean if the Royals are not going to go downtown, then why leave the TSC just to move them to some field in Kansas to a stadium that wold probably have a "kansas" theme to it rather than a KC theme. If you are going to do that, you may as well stay with Kauffman and its history. The TSC is way more convenient to the metro area than K-7 or Village West would have been and it would have created a major eyesore and blight to one of the main entry points to the Metro area (I-70). So I voted for renovations.

After Union Station, I personally never wanted JoCo involved again. They did nothing but complain the entire time of bisate I and to this day most people out there think it was a failed project and that KCMO just wanted "JoCo's money". KCMO had nothing to do with Union Station. The renovations were amazing and the tax did exactly what it was supposed to do. KCMO tax payers are now subsidizing the station and the science center with property taxes now that JoCo has washed their hands of the project.

But it's still annoying that JoCo gets to use all the metro's attractions for free (or the cost of a ticket). They claim everything as theirs, but only when it benefits them. They just don't act like the second largest county in the metro. It is what it is.

What should have happened with the stadiums is a Jackson/Clay/Platte stadium tax that would have funded a new downtown baseball stadium, a renovated or new arrowhead at the Truman Sports Complex (TSC is perfect location for NFL stadium) and a soccer stadium for the Wizards on the north side of the MO riverfront somewhere as an anchor for a new mixed use riverfront development.

That idea (along with many others) will never be realized though.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
And Missouri residents who go to Kansas Speedway and Sporting Park (and there are MANY of them) get to use the attractions for "free" (the price of a ticket). And they don't have to pay for parking, either, like everyone has to do at Truman Sports Complex. Missouri residents also enjoy Shawnee Mission Park, the Overland Park Arboretum, Deanna Rose Farmstead and other Kansas side attractions for free.

I'm not sure why the Legends is so popular with Missouri people. I wouldn't think it would be since it's a little bit of a drive, especially if you are going out to the bars, to be driving back to Missouri. But when I have gone there on a weekend evening, the place is packed with cars with Missouri plates; I'd say more than Kansas plates. These were times that there was no Sporting game, nothing going on at Kansas Speedway, no T-Bones game.

Maybe Johnson/Wyandotte County should build an airport, an NFL stadium and an MLB stadium!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 PM

638 posts, read 624,192 times
Quote:
And Missouri residents who go to Kansas Speedway and Sporting Park (and there are MANY of them) get to use the attractions for "free" (the price of a ticket). And they don't have to pay for parking, either, like everyone has to do at Truman Sports Complex. Missouri residents also enjoy Shawnee Mission Park, the Overland Park Arboretum, Deanna Rose Farmstead and other Kansas side attractions for free.

I'm not sure why the Legends is so popular with Missouri people. I wouldn't think it would be since it's a little bit of a drive, especially if you are going out to the bars, to be driving back to Missouri. But when I have gone there on a weekend evening, the place is packed with cars with Missouri plates; I'd say more than Kansas plates. These were times that there was no Sporting game, nothing going on at Kansas Speedway, no T-Bones game.

Maybe Johnson/Wyandotte County should build an airport, an NFL stadium and an MLB stadium!
So are you saying its Jackson County dollars keeping the Legends afloat, in the same way that Johnson County dollars keep the Chiefs and Royals games full?

You said earlier:
"About Royals fans....I would venture to say there are as many or more Johnson County people who regularly attend Royals games as Jackson County fans. If attendance depended on Jackson County alone, there would be no professional baseball and football in Kansas City."

Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 PM

684 posts, read 791,546 times
@shindig

Seems pretty cut and dry to me? Was his first statement cut and dry? Did I really take what he said literally? And so why then should my responsive statement be taken literally? And sorry, but kcmo did better clarify what I meant about the teams possibly being moved to Kansas. And shindig, you're on a board of your own.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM

495 posts, read 778,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
@shindig

Seems pretty cut and dry to me? Was his first statement cut and dry? Did I really take what he said literally? And so why then should my responsive statement be taken literally? And sorry, but kcmo did better clarify what I meant about the teams possibly being moved to Kansas. And shindig, you're on a board of your own.

Okay, how about we just agree to disagree . Written words on a forum don't always come across clearly as sarcasm.

I'm sure we can both agree that the Royals need to step it up in the next, hopefully 2 games, in order to bring home the crown.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
So are you saying its Jackson County dollars keeping the Legends afloat, in the same way that Johnson County dollars keep the Chiefs and Royals games full?

You said earlier:
"About Royals fans....I would venture to say there are as many or more Johnson County people who regularly attend Royals games as Jackson County fans. If attendance depended on Jackson County alone, there would be no professional baseball and football in Kansas City."
No. I don't think Missouri people hanging out at bars at The Legends is keeping them afloat.

Kansas Speedway and Sporting KC would do just fine without Jackson County dollars. Chiefs and Royals would not be just fine if suddenly no one from Johnson County went to games.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Kansas Speedway and Sporting KC would do just fine without Jackson County dollars. Chiefs and Royals would not be just fine if suddenly no one from Johnson County went to games.
Such an arrogant post. Do you actually believe what you post? Sporting probably has about the same amount of season tickets from Jackson County as Johnson County. JoCo is smaller but has more affluent suburbs. Jax still has plenty of suburbs, plus the affluent parts of the urban core and many companies. So they tend to be pretty equally supportive of regional teams etc. All the large regional venues in metro KC need the entire metro for them to be successful. No matter where the sports teams (speedway etc, sprint center etc) are located, they are supported by the entire metro, which is why the entire metro should support the venues financially or as much of the metro as possible. Back when KC was actually a top 15-20 metro (today it's closer to 30) most of the metro (especially the affluent population) was primary (75-80%) on the MO side. We all know that's different today with over 40% on the KS side now. Point is that it doesn't matter where people live. It's all Kansas City. I just wish KS side leadership would realize this. JoCo is the only part of the metro that just doesn't get the cooperation thing.

JoCo is by far the largest source of season tickets in the state of Kansas (because it's 1/4 the population of the state and 80% of the population of the KS side of the KC metro). But it's still about 25-35% of the Royals and Chiefs season ticket base. That makes sense because JoCo is about 25-30% of the metro population. Jackson County has 700,000 residents and is still a huge part of the metro including many affluent residents in the urban core and the suburbs, not to mention all the companies still based in Jackson County.

Add the other MO side counties of Clay, Platte and Cass (which alone exceed JoCo) there are more MO side season ticket holders than JoCo and the small percent from WyCo. The same would be true for Sporting and the speedway. Even though those venues are on the Kansas side, I would bet anybody that they have more MO side season ticket holders than KS side and the simple reason for that is because the MO side is still more populated and they are regional draws.

Teams like like the Tbones and Mavericks are not super regional. They are local regional. So those teams are probably 90-95% dependent on the population within a 10-20 mile radius.

The Royals, Chiefs and Sporting are regional teams. They are Kansas City teams. If the Chiefs played in Kansas, nothing would change. Kansas City (the part of the city with the culture, the downtown etc) would still be in Missouri just like New York City is still in New York and when you think of NYC, you think Manhattan, Brooklyn etc and not suburban Jersey even though many of their teams actually play in New Jersey.

I never had a problem with the Chiefs in Kansas. I had a problem walking away from the TSC just to put them in Kansas. That is just such a stupid idea. If there was no TSC, then fine, put them where ever. Same deal with the Royals. The only reason to move them from from the TSC would be to build a downtown park. If you are not going to do that, then leave them where they are. Sporting didn't have a home stadium. I don't have a problem with them being on the Kansas side. I just think their location in the parking lot of a furniture store in a remote rural area is stupid. I would have liked to see that park in downtown KCK or on the riverfront on the Kansas side. I can't stand the Village West area. It's ugly sprawl in the middle of nowhere, it has a countrified feel to it due to its rural western KCK location and exurban/suburban demographic that it seems to pull from. (Cabellas, nascar, outlet mall, lots of parking for SUVs and picksup trucks lol) It's just not my thing. But lots of KC area people like it. Different strokes I guess.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-27-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Such an arrogant post. Do you actually believe what you post? .
Yes. I do believe my post. It is not true that half of Sporting's season ticket holders are from Jackson County. I am very involved with Sporting KC.

And it is also true that Chiefs and Royals could not stay afloat without Johnson Countians buying tickets. Sorry, but it's true.

I agree the entire metro should support all the teams. I have no problem with that. As far as I know, I have never been asked to do that, by voting or whatever. But when I see threads posted like this one where Missouri residents go on and on about how the sports teams belong to Missouri, not the Kansas side of the metro, and Johnson County people only like the Royals when they are winning, etc., it doesn't make me inclined to want to help in any way. It makes me think maybe it WOULD be better for Kansas to build NFL and MLB stadiums and an airport and then we'll compare and see how well they do compared to KCMO. You say the teams need support of the entire metro, but then you and Truly Missouri put down Johnson Countians' support and act like we aren't part of the metro and the sports teams aren't our teams too. Well, if they aren't our teams, why should we support them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City