Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 02:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times

Advertisements

These unethical gun sellers need to come to terms with their own wrongdoing and inability to be a part of the community in a responsible way.

How could this gun store do this? They must not care-stop shopping there-close em' down.

Brady Center Lawsuit Targets Missouri Gun Dealer for Gun Sale to Mentally Ill Woman Who Killed Father | Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

"Janet Delana called the dealer on June 25, 2012, in order to explain her daughter’s history of severe mental health issues, including suicidal tendencies, and urge the store not to sell Ms. Weathers another gun should she attempt to buy one."

Pitiful store, Pitiful owners. What was going through their heads? Where were their heads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:56 AM

978 posts, read 2,054,575 times
Any gun shop (or any business for that matter) has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. However, many gun shops try not to judge customers and rely on the background check to approve or deny the sale.

How should the store know that the call is legitimate? What if the person making the call was mentally ill or a deranged spouse trying to prevent someone from buying a firearm to protect oneself.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 AM

"How should the store know that the call is legitimate? What if the person making the call was mentally ill or a deranged spouse trying to prevent someone from buying a firearm to protect oneself."

How about being smart and realizing that you are part of the community in which you sell guns, maybe do a background check or Google the person? Are you telling me you need to assume a person is ok even if you receive information otherwise? How stupid do we have to be as a people?

It was a woman-a mother calling, it was not some man. Indeed how can we tell if it was legitimate? Use your heart, your brains, your conscience and be smart and do a background check.

It is the very definition of stupid to do something like this. Imagine being that guy that sold the gun-what indeed was in his head? Did he think "What if the person making this call was mentally ill or a deranged spouse trying to prevent someone from buying a firearm to protect oneself?" What would you do, blow it off? You are selling them a gun not a lawnmower or a toothbrush. You have to be held to a higher responsibility.

For those who try not to judge customers and rely on the background check to approve or deny the sale-I say you need to get out of the gun business. People like that sell to those that look like them often, as I have seen in Texas and that means they sell to the McVeigh's of the world and I am not up for that. Our liberal gun laws are killing us and the Mexican citizens too.

Last edited by creepy; 12-04-2014 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: add punctuation

Old 12-04-2014, 09:11 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I don't think I have ever been in a gun shop, so you can count me in on the boycott!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:28 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
I'm guessing there's a little more to this story....

Old 12-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Yes the daughter had severe Schizophrenia and killed her own father with a gun from the store. If you are implying something else-look into it.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,575 times
I would imagine that the gun shop did perform the proper background check. The gun shop has no control over what the person does with the firearm after purchase.

Should a car dealer be responsible if I decide to run over people?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I'm a big gun rights guy, but, assuming the filing is correct, this woman had an extensive and well documented history of severe mental illness that the dealer was informed about, and it would have been easy enough to follow up on it in short order. In addition, all he had to do was ask the mother to bring down official documentation from the court, gov't, and/or hospital finding her daughter mentally unstable. This would be an easy way to determine if the person was a vindictive caller or not.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:52 AM

Hi Joe thanks, yes I agree.

I appreciate responsible gun shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City