Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 08:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

These could and should have been saved. Structures like this are renovated and saved in cities like Boston and DC, but for some reason in KC they have to be torn down?

Looking at google, there are now many large cleared lots around the plaza. Just north of the Plaza there are several huge grassy lots now were there were once apartment buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM

684 posts, read 791,676 times
I'm pretty sure you've already read this article?

Barring a late reprieve, Plaza-area Nelle Peters buildings face demolition | The Kansas City Star

It is a real shame that they can't be saved, but it's all just in the new owners taste I guess.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:42 PM

172 posts, read 154,219 times
It's a shame. KC and elsewhere, it almost always makes sense to save an old structure and rehab it back to life. What could be more green while also maintaining the architectural history?

Sigh.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Because nobody was interested enough in saving them. This was in the news a year or more ago when demolition was first proposed. The truth is, developers have zero interest/incentive to invest in moderate rent housing on the Plaza. There was no cost-effective way to keep those buildings recognizable and turn them into higher rent/luxury housing, so it wasn't gonna happen.

I lived across Roanoke from those buildings when I first moved to KC. The last apartments I lived in on the Plaza before my husband and I got married have been torn down as well in the past year, to make way for new construction versus preserving vintage buildings. One of the much-vaunted mixed use projects will go up in its place.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Oh, sorry kcmo. I didn't see that you had posted this and I posted a thread about it today. Granite Stater can delete my thread...

Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 PM

30 posts, read 22,225 times
In the video tour of the buildings posted on the KC Star's page, some of the units didn't look all that bad!

Compared to some of the questionable places that I've lived in my tenure of flop houses, couch crashing, seedy apartments, and questionable real estate, they looked pretty good. A little paint, a little plaster, and Bob's your uncle.

Granted, there were probably many more serious issues beneath the surface, but even if they couldn't have fetched $1500+ per unit, people still need places to live that aren't absolute rat-traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: