Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM

26,414 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
^^^maybe we should get more Kansans on welfare so we can be in as good shape as Missouri. (Rolling eyes)

Yes, solutions take time; no economic plan shows results instantaneously. None of you who are bitching about it here care about Kansas anyway. Your only reason for posting is to find fault with Kansas because you don't like that businesses DO move across the state line - and not only for financial reasons.

I seem to recall that Missouri wasn't able to give tax refunds last year in a timely manner because they simply didn't have the money. Kansas was able to give refunds.
If Brownback's plan was working so well there would be large-scale job growth in all areas of the state across the board with strong in-migration numbers. None of this is happening. Kansas continues to rank near the top 1/5 of all states for out-migration, so that does partly explain the low unemployment rate, if people haven't already moved to where opportunities are in JOCO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
^ you need to take some economics classes
I have. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM

26,414 posts, read 46,591,155 times
And we have this story that just appeared on my news feed:
Kansas agency considers privatization of Osawatomie State Hospital | The Kansas City Star
I like this comment the best.
"Defund it, mismanage it. Then use the fact it is floundering as an excuse to privatize it.
Medicaid, prisons, education, and so on."

Old 02-16-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If Brownback's plan was working so well there would be large-scale job growth in all areas of the state across the board with strong in-migration numbers. None of this is happening. Kansas continues to rank near the top 1/5 of all states for out-migration, so that does partly explain the low unemployment rate, if people haven't already moved to where opportunities are in JOCO.
It's the same with all the plains states. It's not a Kansas thing at all.

The reason for the low unemployment rate in Kansas is - PEOPLE ARE EMPLOYED! What makes you think the people leaving the state were unemployed?

Forbes Welcome

Forbes Welcome

Old 02-16-2016, 03:24 PM

172 posts, read 154,219 times
This thread epitomizes why KC is perpetually stuck. The border war lives on through government politics, as is often cited in these forums. KS is guilty, but MO also plays this game. It lives on through the very fabric of this forum's participants. It is a daily occurrence when a driver with JO plates cuts off someone from MO or vice versa.

I'm not as familiar with other bi/tri-state metropolitan areas, but I sense KC is more divided culturally than other split cities. Sure, states compete to attract companies, but it's borderline toxic in KC. The best I can describe both states' behavior is digging up holes, paying to fill them up, and calling that progress. What happened to that cease fire bill designed to support KC instead of individual state agendas?

To the original post, I hope KCK somehow benefits from the American Royal. Downtown KCMO at least has some momentum. What does downtown KCK have going for it?

Old 02-16-2016, 04:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
This thread epitomizes why KC is perpetually stuck. The border war lives on through government politics, as is often cited in these forums. KS is guilty, but MO also plays this game. It lives on through the very fabric of this forum's participants. It is a daily occurrence when a driver with JO plates cuts off someone from MO or vice versa.

I'm not as familiar with other bi/tri-state metropolitan areas, but I sense KC is more divided culturally than other split cities. Sure, states compete to attract companies, but it's borderline toxic in KC. The best I can describe both states' behavior is digging up holes, paying to fill them up, and calling that progress. What happened to that cease fire bill designed to support KC instead of individual state agendas?
I live in what is basically a tri-state area (DC, Maryland, Virginia) plus Baltimore City. There is plenty of competition here, but there is also some cooperation and nobody throws around the kinds of incentives that KS (and now MO) do in the KC area. It's nothing like KC. I have also posted links showing that places like Cincinnati/Northern KY are also much more on the same page than KS/MO in the KC area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
To the original post, I hope KCK somehow benefits from the American Royal. Downtown KCMO at least has some momentum. What does downtown KCK have going for it?
Yea, right. Do you think they would do anything for downtown KCK? All that stuff will end up out by Bonner Springs with all the other corporate welfare projects.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:28 AM

172 posts, read 154,219 times
No, I don't believe downtown KCK will receive a boost, but I'll keep hoping.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:47 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
None of you who are bitching about it here care about Kansas anyway. Your only reason for posting is to find fault with Kansas

2. because you don't like that businesses DO move across the state line - and not only for financial reasons.
1. Demonstrable false and easily verifiably so.

2. Businesses that move from KC to Kansas for non-financial are as rare as hen's teeth.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
1. Demonstrable false and easily verifiably so.

2. Businesses that move from KC to Kansas for non-financial are as rare as hen's teeth.
Wrong. Some businesses just prefer to be in Johnson County. For one, I know of a lot of doctor offices that moved to the Kansas side because of the cost of malpractice insurance on the Missouri side. Plus the downtown area of KCMO used to be such an awful place - ghetto, run down, unsafe at night, nothing going on - and businesses DEFINITELY preferred being in Johnson County than downtown. Now that downtown has improved, there are more businesses downtown. But let's not pretend that there weren't years where downtown was kind of a yucky place to be.

I owned a business in for almost 30 years and there is no way in hell I would have moved from Johnson County to KCMO.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:35 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Quote:
Wrong. Some businesses just prefer to be in Johnson County. For one, I know of a lot of doctor offices that moved to the Kansas side because of the cost of malpractice insurance on the Missouri side. Plus the downtown area of KCMO used to be such an awful place - ghetto, run down, unsafe at night, nothing going on - and businesses DEFINITELY preferred being in Johnson County than downtown. Now that downtown has improved, there are more businesses downtown. But let's not pretend that there weren't years where downtown was kind of a yucky place to be.

I owned a business in for almost 30 years and there is no way in hell I would have moved from Johnson County to KCMO.
There is no point whatsoever talking about the 80s and 90s in this thread. We can all safely agree about the nature of JoCo's growth during that period, so there's nothing to talk about.

The discussion is about the last 10 years, give or take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: